Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    old oak wrote: »
    .Irani must be hurting in the pocket going from 20 hours a week down to 2 and I doubt if that arrangement will last more than a couple of months.Wonder if Brazil will help him out ......

Was it in here someone mentioned Irani's Autobiography was selling for a pound.........:D he'd better start praying sales start to rocket.
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    Was it in here someone mentioned Irani's Autobiography was selling for a pound.........:D he'd better start praying sales start to rocket.

Needless to say, he's not having the last laugh.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would like people's thought's on Alvin Martin , for me he is the most under used pundit on the station. Insightful , knows the game , likeable and good no matter who he is alongside. Wish the station would use Alvin more.

As long-term readers of this thread will know, I absolutely, wholeheartedly, 100 per cent agree with every word you have written there.

Alvin Martin is one of talkSPORT's biggest assets and should be called upon a fair bit more than he is currently.
    delboy1953 wrote: »
    The up coming Lions tour is not going to do them any favours
    nor is the Ashes.
    They don't do these kind of things well enough to attract listeners.
    The recent Rugby World Cup and last Football world cup
    were disasters

Everything must be blanket coverage of the event every minute.
    They would be better being selective and putting money into a more professional approach

In what respect do you think they were "disasters"? Purely in commercial terms, the 2010 World Cup and particularly the 2011 Rugby World Cup were massive success stories for talkSPORT.

Their coverage of both tournaments attracted a number of new advertisers and the station saw their listening figures increase considerably during the relevant quarters - the exact reverse of what appears to be happening at the moment. Before the Rugby World Cup, a few people voiced their doubts over its potential to attract an audience or sponsorship interest on a station that is as football-heavy as talkSPORT in the midst of a busy football season. They were emphatically proven wrong given the subsequent results. So, if a rugby tournament that received free-to-air television coverage during the football season can be successful for talkSPORT, I'm sure live top class rugby that is exclusive to pay television in this country during a close football season with no major international tournament will be equally as successful for them, if not more so.

Also, for football supporters missing live matches next month, talkSPORT has just picked up commentary rights to the England games at this summer's UEFA Under-21 Championship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Slightly off topic but what is James whale doing nowadays ? I am sure i read on Twitter he had left lbc .
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet you a few shekels that not one tS employee will enter the country in which the tournament is taking place.
  • HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I feel the 'Alandn Brazil Breakfast Show' needs a massive shake up.

Its gone very stale and maybe time to replave Alan full stop. Cant stand all these people coming in to join him on a daily basis.

Alan doesnt sound relaxed and the show becomes rather boring.

As for Brian Moore joining him full time, please no. Cant stand him. His voice is horrible and is too serious for the show in the morning. I certainly wouldn't listen to the show if he was on all the time.

Brazil needs someone who he can have a laugh & joke with.
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    I wasn't one of Mike Grahams biggest fans by I'd love to have him back doing his old overnight show if just to see what Nigel from Maidstone been getting up too.:D

I enjoyed sharing over the radio Nigel's crazy world and capers but I wouldn't want a return of current affairs as it was Jack it got really poor the last 2 years, I'd want a new presenter with a personality and modicum of skill to give is a more serious phone-in yea with fun thrown in at times but not the stupidity of how it all got. Twenty four hour sport has now been with us for quite some time and even still yet I can't understand who would want to listen to football at 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am and 6am when we've been fed it all through the previous day, the argument that a lot of people can't or don't listen through the day doesn't wash as there's the 'Listen Again' feature for all those people to access if they want sport through the night.
    I'd still love to see the real listening figures for Mike Graham's show I suspect they will be that pi$$ poor they will never release them publicly.

Anyone else out there that would like current affairs shared in the schedules again?, we must keep pushing it got Irani out eventually, people at talksport ARE watching we now KNOW that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old oak wrote: »
    I still think there will be a lot of auditioning over the next 2 months aside from the lions tour coverage which has a very strong line up..There will also be some worried staff at TS (I hope) after Irani s departure from the breakfast slot.Quinn Goldstein Abrahams Gould Brazil hopefully top of the dump list.Irani must be hurting in the pocket going from 20 hours a week down to 2 and I doubt if that arrangement will last more than a couple of months.Wonder if Brazil will help him out ......

It's the cricket club members throughout the country that have my sympathy Oak Irani will be hitting the road this summer like a man possessed with his "one man show" trying to make his money up after his talksport breakfast show sacking. Then again maybe I don't feel sorry for them because if they are stupid enough to fork out good money for a seat to sit there and listen to HIM they deserve what they get.
    I've never heard what these Irani talk nights are really like but I expect he stands there constantly name-dropping ("my mate Chrisio Evans, "Me and Alan blah blah blah...." the audience will be no doubts 'treated' to tales of when he bowled out Boycott in some testimonial when he was only 11 representing his school as captain or when he made Viv Richards look a right dick bowling him for a duck and Viv said to him later "You'll go on son to be one of England's best ever bowlers" .... oh my god can you imagine how bad it is!!!.

I've always estimated if Alan Brazil is on £350,000 a year (which we know from various semi-reliable outlets he is) then Irani will have been getting £100,000 - £150,000 per year, now he's finished from that show that's an awful lot of salary to lose, plus all the spin-offs connected to working alongside the greatest freebie merchant in Britain he's lost all that as well, two hours a week covering cricket won't even dint the sides of the bucket he's left pi$$ing in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »
    I feel the 'Alandn Brazil Breakfast Show' needs a massive shake up.

Its gone very stale and maybe time to replave Alan full stop. Cant stand all these people coming in to join him on a daily basis.

Alan doesnt sound relaxed and the show becomes rather boring.

As for Brian Moore joining him full time, please no. Cant stand him. His voice is horrible and is too serious for the show in the morning. I certainly wouldn't listen to the show if he was on all the time.

Brazil needs someone who he can have a laugh & joke with.

Some of us on here have been voicing for some considerable time it's time for Alan Brazil to pack up his freebie bag and move on, in my view your right in everything you say about the show except Brian Moore who is excellent again in my view. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    dominic cork just asked brazil who he would have starting at centre back for england

he literally could not remember anybody and eventually blurted out rioooooo

embarrassing stuff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic but what is James whale doing nowadays ? I am sure i read on Twitter he had left lbc .

I've not heard anything since his LBC departure, Whale is a class presenter but there are things about him I sometimes used to hate, one being his attitude occasionally and the other his political views.
    I can never get out my head how he acted on-air towards the firemen during their strike some years back, he said anyone can do that job and made out firemen were 10 a penny and should get back to work. If ever his house is on fire and his family are in peril I wonder if he'd think that when they went up the ladder risking their lives to bring the fat lump back down to safety along with his beloved family?.
  • IndependenceIndependence Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    kingcahoot wrote: »
    Interesting listening to the gushing praise of Troy Deeley this afternoon on the station. Saggers, Collymore and Matterface are talking constantly about how he's turned his life around, managed to score in the semis and even paid tribute to him getting tickets for two prison warders. How different would it have been if an African player for example had done the sane thing. Probably have Saggs saying what a disgrace to have a spear chucking immigrant not only playing in the final but in the country in the first place.

So smearing Saggers is OK is it - what evidence do you have that Saggers would say any such thing ?
    Forum Member
    classic brazil

no atmosphere in Dubai anything to do with it being a dry country mr brazil?
    Forum Member
    brian moore is so far ahead of anybody else who is trying out to be on the breakfast show i actually feel for them

if he wants it (i very much doubt) he should be a shoe in

brazil this morning actually listened to him on various subjects without interrupting (mainly because he knew he could not compete with a brain) but regardless of that it was a good show

he also came out with the immortal line when chatting to some cheerleaders who were in the studio "so you would like to be taking up the chard whilst you are in London?"

Brazil was to busy suggesting wine bars for them to visit (jesus wept) to understand Brians gag.

I fear Matt Holland will get it, he seems a nice guy tbf but i can just see 2 months in him being over run by Brazil and taking the easy way out.

Hope not.

As for those suggesting Danny Baker but only on him discussing sport only? I would rather have Danny Baker discussing toilet roll the history of than any of the other viable suggestions (moore aside)

If you really think if he ever did join talksport (cant see it) he would stick to the format suggested think again

And he is all the better for it, the only time i listen to 5 live is 9-11 saturday morning

I was impressed with Brian Moore on his stint with Brazil but then he has wide experience of lots of things in life besides sport. He is well read (including being a fan of Shakespeare) and a qualified solicitor and Rugby referee(he should be as he gives them plenty of stick). He is quick on his feet and when he is turned to for an instant opinion he will always have something insightful and meaningful to say. Unfortunately I cannot see him taking the reguler gig.as he has much more interesting and bigger fish to fry than the daily grind of getting up at 5 am every morning. Also he'll soon tire of the imbecile that is Brazil, He will take on the occasional gig as he can probably have fun with Brazil in small doses.

I also thought Matt Holland did pretty well but then it's his first day and he would be pumped up for it. How would he be 6 months down the line ? He could turn into a regular boring ex-pro but you never know he could grow into the roll and be good at it.

Dominic Cork is on now and he's not exactly setting the world alight but anybody instead of Irani is a blessing.

By the way what does that joke mean; "so you would like to be taking up the chard whilst you are in London?"; I am not aware of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    So smearing Saggers is OK is it - what evidence do you have that Saggers would say any such thing ?

The following topics of discussion he's brought up in recent years the indicates his general sneering contempt of Johnny Foreigner:
    - England's exit in World Cup 2010
    - Periodic anti Blatter/Platini/UEFA/FIFA rants
    - Decision not to award England the 2022 World Cup
    - Anti Mancini, Wenger and AVB stance
    - Too many foreigners on the English game

I could give you more examples but have a mull over this and have a listen to the show once in a while once there's a perceived anti English bias and you may detect an oh so bitter, conspiratorial theory that belies a desperate attempt to destroy out status as a successful island race. If it quacks like a duck...
    Forum Member
    The following topics of discussion he's brought up in recent years the indicates his general sneering contempt of Johnny Foreigner:

I could give you more examples but have a mull over this and have a listen to the show once in a while once there's a perceived anti English bias and you may detect an oh so bitter, conspiratorial theory that belies a desperate attempt to destroy out status as a successful island race. If it quacks like a duck...

I do not think Saggers would say "what a disgrace to have a spear chucking immigrant not only playing in the final but in the country in the first place".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

......it's a drake, like good Sir Francis who sent Johnny Dago packing back to Spain to concentrate on his trippy tacky football or whatever it's called by them. What do think of that, Blatter, you crook?! Eh?! EH?! EHHH?! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Did anyone here Saggers tortured metaphor at the nd of the play off coverage last night? It was the most contrived thing I've ver heard. Even Moose would be ashamed.
    And I also think old Saggy blew his chance of a knighthood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not think Saggers would say "what a disgrace to have a spear chucking immigrant not only playing in the final but in the country in the first place".

True, he patronises them by adopting their comical patois,man.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    classic brazil

no atmosphere in Dubai anything to do with it being a dry country mr brazil?

Didn't look too dry at the darts last weekend!
    Forum Member
    yes but it is or at least was at meydan last time i went

he almost mentioned it as well......
  • delboy1953delboy1953 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    As long-term readers of this thread will know, I absolutely, wholeheartedly, 100 per cent agree with every word you have written there.

Alvin Martin is one of talkSPORT's biggest assets and should be called upon a fair bit more than he is currently.

In what respect do you think they were "disasters"? Purely in commercial terms, the 2010 World Cup and particularly the 2011 Rugby World Cup were massive success stories for talkSPORT.

Their coverage of both tournaments attracted a number of new advertisers and the station saw their listening figures increase considerably during the relevant quarters - the exact reverse of what appears to be happening at the moment. Before the Rugby World Cup, a few people voiced their doubts over its potential to attract an audience or sponsorship interest on a station that is as football-heavy as talkSPORT in the midst of a busy football season. They were emphatically proven wrong given the subsequent results. So, if a rugby tournament that received free-to-air television coverage during the football season can be successful for talkSPORT, I'm sure live top class rugby that is exclusive to pay television in this country during a close football season with no major international tournament will be equally as successful for them, if not more so.

Also, for football supporters missing live matches next month, talkSPORT has just picked up commentary rights to the England games at this summer's UEFA Under-21 Championship.

Do you have listening figures for the [Football world cup]
    games without Englandand same for [Rugby World Cup]
    Games without home countries.

This could not have paid but they set out to cover every minute with adverts every 5 mins announcing it.
    Coverage suffers ,listeners turn off .

Wake up and smell the Rajars
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delboy1953 wrote: »
    Do you have listening figures for the [Football world cup]
    games without Englandand same for [Rugby World Cup]
    Games without home countries.

This could not have paid but they set out to cover every minute with adverts every 5 mins announcing it.
    Coverage suffers ,listeners turn off .

Wake up and smell the Rajars

That's irrelevant because sponsors and advertisers buy into the whole tournament coverage, not just the home nations' matches.

Coca-Cola signed up for a huge sponsorship deal for TS coverage of the last football World Cup, and there were similar deals in place for the rugby. The tournament more than repaid the cost of the rights with sponsorship revenue, and the same will happen next year with World Cup 2014.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    That's irrelevant because sponsors and advertisers buy into the whole tournament coverage, not just the home nations' matches.

Coca-Cola signed up for a huge sponsorship deal for TS coverage of the last football World Cup, and there were similar deals in place for the rugby. The tournament more than repaid the cost of the rights with sponsorship revenue, and the same will happen next year with World Cup 2014.

Exactly. The cumulative audience figures for the period spanning football/rugby tournaments/tours as a whole more than justifies the cost of the rights, as coverage that is perceived as being likely to recoup an audience delivers advertisers which duly funds these broadcasts.

We aren't given individual audience figures for individual matches, so you can't support your claims neither can I conclusively prove you wrong in that respect, but we are given audience figures spanning the whole station every three months. The two quarters which contained live coverage of the 2011 Rugby World Cup for example saw talkSPORT's audience reach record levels, which has subsequently dipped during the last 12 months: http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/02/utv-rugby-world-cup-helps-talksport/

So there isn't any truth to delboy's claim that "listeners turn off" during coverage of major football/rugby tournaments whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite impressed that talkSPORT were able to get Dave Whelan on for an interview literally minutes after news was announced that Roberto Martinez is leaving Wigan Athletic. They must have been the first media organisations to speak to him following this news coming to light.

I expect H&J will have a complete change of plans to this afternoon's running order and will be devoted to reaction from Everton and Wigan fans now; they tend to do this very well when big sports news breaks.

As for the Sports Breakfast - after hearing Brian Moore with Alan on Monday and Dominic Cork today; it'll be Danny Murphy (who did well on talkSPORT's FA Cup Final coverage) on Thursday and David Ginola on Friday. No-one is listed with Alan in the schedule for tomorrow, was it mentioned on the show today? As for potential guest hosts, I said this last week when praising talkSPORT Fight Club on here, but I'd like to hear Paul Smith - the British super middleweight fighter who co-hosted that show with Gareth A Davies last weekend - get a chance to do breakfast as he was excellent on his station debut. I enjoyed James Haskell's co-commentary on the Premiership Grand Final on Saturday, so perhaps he wouldn't be a bad shout to do a show during the Lions tour. Other Full Contact co-hosts like Neil Back, Kyran Bracken, Nicky Robinson and Richard Hill could be good choices during June too.
  • HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I was quite impressed that talkSPORT were able to get Dave Whelan on for an interview literally minutes after news was announced that Roberto Martinez is leaving Wigan Athletic. They must have been the first media organisations to speak to him following this news coming to light.

I expect H&J will have a complete change of plans to this afternoon's running order and will be devoted to reaction from Everton and Wigan fans now; they tend to do this very well when big sports news breaks.

As for the Sports Breakfast - after hearing Brian Moore with Alan on Monday and Dominic Cork today; it'll be Danny Murphy (who did well on talkSPORT's FA Cup Final coverage) on Thursday and David Ginola on Friday. No-one is listed with Alan in the schedule for tomorrow, was it mentioned on the show today? As for potential guest hosts, I said this last week when praising talkSPORT Fight Club on here, but I'd like to hear Paul Smith - the British super middleweight fighter who co-hosted that show with Gareth A Davies last weekend - get a chance to do breakfast as he was excellent on his station debut. I enjoyed James Haskell's co-commentary on the Premiership Grand Final on Saturday, so perhaps he wouldn't be a bad shout to do a show during the Lions tour. Other Full Contact co-hosts like Neil Back, Kyran Bracken, Nicky Robinson and Richard Hill could be good choices during June too.

Its Matt Holland tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.