Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    I'd actually put Forde out in front on that one, (way out) then Quinn, then Goldstein, then Gould (Bobby), then Gough, then Abrahams, but we're not a million miles away from agreeing. :p

Fell asleep typing the Mike Graham post on the laptop in bed. Do you blame me?

I'll always back you up on Matt Forde here. The guy seems so out of place on this radio station now. He professes to be a comedian, and a political animal, so what the heck is he doing on Talksport? It already has it's own quota of unfunny comics from the sports world!

He's a different guy away from this radio station, and much better for it in my view.

What happened to the resident Talksport jester-in-chief, the Gouldfather? :p I see the thread I was foolish enough to contribute to late last week about an "Official" fan club for Forde quite soon got taken down and binned, but not before the Gouldfather had brushed me up with his charms, which were wasted on me. He sure wound a few of you lot up on here didn't he.

Is Ash still heard at the station by the way? Now why did I think of him I wonder? :D

Sorry I can't find anything more constructive to write, but this radio station doesn't lend itself to it. It seems a near miracle that it remains remotely viable, but I really think it will go under within the next 5 years if it stays on the course it has set itself this past year or two. Nobody I know who likes sport, including family members who went to the Watford play off yesterday at Wembley who love football, would even dream of listening to it, and when they have done so, turn off rapidly. These are the kinds the station wants too. What does that say?

Talksport is a station for the sporting narrow minded with tunnel vision. Don't take it personally any regulars. Even most enthusiastic sports lovers aren't that blinkered. It's done sport no favours in this country.

I'll now be hounded back into hibernation for that returning sound off! :o ... ;)
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BCM666 wrote: »
    You are welcome; actually it's a nice break from being called a c*** on twitter.

Hi Brian,
    First of all it's really good that you have joined in the discussions on here and like Jack says you are the first and only one from the station to ever do it and I know everyone on here will admire you for doing so so thank you from me. You'll never get called a c### on here like you say you did on twitter we're a lot more civilised than that I can promise you, :D great to have you along hope you get to like it and stick around a while.
  • old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all - thank you for the positive comments on here; all the more welcome as they were unsolicited.

I would love to do a regular show but one which had a wider remit than the standard, trite re-examination of vernacular and therefore nonsense football wisdom that goes with a lot of football analysis.

I have followed football since I was seven but also have a wider interest in many other sports. Whilst TS will always, rightly, major in football I think the careful and selective widening into other sports would work.

I also believe there is a role for the proper examination of important issues like the School Sport funding debate that for nearly two years and threatened the whole of the country's sport but which went untouched in many parts of the media. Similar features on the FA; Uefa, Fifa,RFU, Fia etc are areas that are important but rarely understood and a campaigning role would suit the station well.

I have no information on any programme points but would very much like to try to create a slightly harder edged programme that was more forensic in its approach whilst retaining the entertainment element.

Some would not like this, but then some don't like people who use long words because they don't understand them. I think more would be receptive.

Brian Moore

I think your thoughts on what format would sit comfortably with you would fit in well on the 10 to 1 morning slot.some on here have called for the return of current affairs to the station I think your ideas meets this halfway and you are spot on about the "trite reexamination" that this station suffers from more than others.Hope to hear you a lot more on the station and that's from someone who doesn't follow RU and is a full time football supporter.
  • HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    old oak wrote: »
    I think your thoughts on what format would sit comfortably with you would fit in well on the 10 to 1 morning slot.some on here have called for the return of current affairs to the station I think your ideas meets this halfway and you are spot on about the "trite reexamination" that this station suffers from more than others.Hope to hear you a lot more on the station and that's from someone who doesn't follow RU and is a full time football supporter.

Cant get rid of Keys & Gray on the 10 to 1 slot. They are superb.

Personally im not a big Fan of Brian Moore. Not a fan of his voice. Not very radio friendly!!
  • old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »

Personally im not a big Fan of Brian Moore. Not a fan of his voice. Not very radio friendly!!

Although keys & Gray is the programme l listen to most these days as they do attract some good guests I do find Keys a bit too sycophantic.Noted he said yesterday that they will be back in August "all things being equall"but I believe if they get a good offer from a tv station,maybe Al Jazeera they will be off.
    Would not mind them replacing Brazil on the breakfast show,now that would be Karma.
  • countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »

I accept that we all have voices that we do or don't like, but what I think you do get with Brian is a logical, well-reasoned perspective, unlike some of the pundits on Talksport who can descend into rather shallow, emotional, and unsubstantiated statements.
    Brian also has a somewhat wider perspective on the sporting world and its politics than many of his his peers on the radio, and I welcome the contextualisation of sporting issues that sometimes gets lost in the heat of the debate on a particular incident.
    (P.S. I am no lover of the Torygraph!)
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    countyboy wrote: »
    I accept that we all have voices that we do or don't like, but what I think you do get with Brian is a logical, well-reasoned perspective, unlike some of the pundits on Talksport who can descend into rather shallow, emotional, and unsubstantiated statements.
    Brian also has a somewhat wider perspective on the sporting world and its politics than many of his his peers on the radio, and I welcome the contextualisation of sporting issues that sometimes gets lost in the heat of the debate on a particular incident.
    (P.S. I am no lover of the Torygraph!)

Yes, agreed, and therein lies the difficulty. It is kinda riduculous that we are getting Adrian Durham with his "Daily Arsenal" [and yes I know it's a wind-up (and not a funny one)] and the likes of Brian Moore who does have a lot more to contribute. Hopefully we might be seeing the start of sea-change?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Take just football - would you not like to examine or know about things like-
    1. The use of statistics - what they can and cannot tell you?
    2. Why football appears to be resistant to sports psychology
    3. The dairoutinente of a footballer as opposed to the supposed routine.
    4. Football finance discussed in a non-sensational relative to other sports and businesses.
    5. Why they won't adopt the WADA drug code.
    6. The role of education in the game.
    7. A proper deconstruction of the FA constitutional impasse.
    8.Why the PFA despite paying Gordon Taylor near £700k pa doesn;t have a full time welfare officer.
    9. What happens to the thousands of players who don;t make it and how they cope and what is available to help them.
    10. A feature on what charitable work is undertaken by clubs and players to highlight a positive contribution.

These are 10 topics just off the top of my head but it shows the approach I think would be interesting to augment the other standard discussion. I also think there is room for a more discussion, less argument based programme, though the latter definitely has its place.
  • esteveesteve Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Welcome Mr.Moore
    Used to watch you play for Nottingham,
    When Binghams finest Steve Holdstock was playing
    Hope you are used more on Talksport,
    On a separate note are Keys and Gray or any others going to mention the 28th anniversary of Heysel
    Hillsborough has been discussed in great detail quite rightly but to ignore the most shameful night in English sport would be disgraceful
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. Football finance discussed in a non-sensational relative to other sports and businesses.
    8.Why the PFA despite paying Gordon Taylor near £700k pa doesn;t have a full time welfare officer.
    9. What happens to the thousands of players who don;t make it and how they cope and what is available to help them.
    10. A feature on what charitable work is undertaken by clubs and players to highlight a positive contribution.

These are 10 topics just off the top of my head but it shows the approach I think would be interesting to augment the other standard discussion. I also think there is room for a more discussion, less argument based programme, though the latter definitely has its place.

the problem is you are too smart for talksport.pity as i think you are a good listen.football is a sort of law unto itself and nobody dare rock the boat.hopefully they will find you a slot on radio.
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said. You've probably heard Gary Richardson's sports roundup on R5. TS and UTV are interested in keeping the tills ringing. Note the number of betting and tradesman friendly ads on their shows. Sadly your list is too highbrow for them.
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you listen or read the football press then you might think that the answers might be similar to this,

1. Like most statistics, they can be spun to tell you whatever you want them too.
    2. There does appear to be a virulent streak of the Luddite in football, whether that's due to keeping the opposition (or your own board) from knowing what you're up to, or just old fashioned bloody mindedness, I don't know.
    3. That's something footballers (& their bookies) would rather you kept your nose out of.
    4. See number three. This time from the boardroom.
    5. See number three again. They really, really don't want that Pandora's box opened.
    6. Criminally underused, but it does seem to be improving. Superficially at least.
    7. Christ, Brian, do you want to kill a few blazers off?! A lot of them aren't of the age or constitution to have some nosey journo hoking around that farrago without medical emergencies.
    8. A question often asked, but never answered. The old truism that Taylor is the highest paid trade union official in Europe may not be true, but if he isn't, he is not a kick in the arse of it.
    9. In the past there was a disgraceful ignorance of this, but, credits due where it's due, there's a lot more awareness at least of this problem. It would be nice to hear more of those who are trying to tackle the problem & what obstacles they face.
    10. Again, to give them their dues, many clubs do a hell of a lot, but it never seems to be reported above a local level. That's not the fault of the clubs, or even the national press, to be fair, but a degree of national co-ordination, maybe from the FA,would be welcome.

That's just my overly cynical take on those points, based on practically no evidence whatsoever except perception from the football media. It may be a bit unfair or untrue, but I would not be a bit surprised if I was near the mark on many of them.

In football like in society I reckon it's the press that should cajole & embarrass those in power into doing what is right. A job made a lot more difficult in the past year in a wider context from those who fear a free country, but with some notable exceptions the bulk of football journalism does seem riddled with agendas, factionalism & backslapping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard Brazil and Holland this AM. Sadly, very flat. Lots of talk about Wigan and Martinez but no insight or analysis. Let's face it, there isn't much detail on this - he's left Wigan and will probably go to Everton. The End. Why not try to find something else to discuss.

I hope to hear more of Brian Moore as he has a nice wide perspective and more than two brain cells. However, my guess is that he has other, bigger fish to fry and will do the lions tour and move on.

PS Brazil actually suggested that Irani could pick up his bat again and do a job. Bizarre! Matt Holland had been talking about his brother being an MCC member at the time. Matt was clearly wondering what on earth Brazil was on about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    If you listen or read the football press then you might think that the answers might be similar to this,

1. Like most statistics, they can be spun to tell you whatever you want them too.
    2. There does appear to be a virulent streak of the Luddite in football, whether that's due to keeping the opposition (or your own board) from knowing what you're up to, or just old fashioned bloody mindedness, I don't know.
    3. That's something footballers (& their bookies) would rather you kept your nose out of.
    4. See number three. This time from the boardroom.
    5. See number three again. They really, really don't want that Pandora's box opened.
    6. Criminally underused, but it does seem to be improving. Superficially at least.
    7. Christ, Brian, do you want to kill a few blazers off?! A lot of them aren't of the age or constitution to have some nosey journo hoking around that farrago without medical emergencies.
    8. A question often asked, but never answered. The old truism that Taylor is the highest paid trade union official in Europe may not be true, but if he isn't, he is not a kick in the arse of it.
    9. In the past there was a disgraceful ignorance of this, but, credits due where it's due, there's a lot more awareness at least of this problem. It would be nice to hear more of those who are trying to tackle the problem & what obstacles they face.
    10. Again, to give them their dues, many clubs do a hell of a lot, but it never seems to be reported above a local level. That's not the fault of the clubs, or even the national press, to be fair, but a degree of national co-ordination, maybe from the FA,would be welcome.

That's just my overly cynical take on those points, based on practically no evidence whatsoever except perception from the football media. It may be a bit unfair or untrue, but I would not be a bit surprised if I was near the mark on many of them.

In football like in society I reckon it's the press that should cajole & embarrass those in power into doing what is right. A job made a lot more difficult in the past year in a wider context from those who fear a free country, but with some notable exceptions the bulk of football journalism does seem riddled with agendas, factionalism & backslapping.

Actually that is probably not far from the truth - all the more reason it should be challenged surely?
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually that is probably not far from the truth - all the more reason it should be challenged surely?

Absolutely!
  • IamnotananorakIamnotananorak Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    The departure of Ronnie Irani was discussed at the last Essex CCC match. Almost everyone thought he was an idiot, although there was sympathy that he had lost his job. Although some of the sympathy was from people who had themselves been in the same position.

The question was asked would Essex CCC find him a well paid non job, which they reserve for former players.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Thank God someone spotted the joke.

One thing I get criticised for in the Telegraph and in commentary is 'trying to sound intellectual' - actually I use words that mean most precisely what I want to say and I won't apologise for it.

If some think this is showing off, then so be it; my response is they should get a dictionary or retake their 11+.

first time i have been called intellectual

despite meeting a wall of silence on air brian i laughed :)
  • IndependenceIndependence Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    first time i have been called intellectual

despite meeting a wall of silence on air brian i laughed :)

Read it again - he is not saying you are the intellectual.
  • IndependenceIndependence Posts: 255
    Forum Member

Well I would listen to most of those topics. Football finances and the WADA drug testing regime particularly. That last topic about charitable work by clubs is linked to finances. When my club got relegated they dropped off a financial cliff and had to sack dozens of staff. This crisis hit the charitable work inevitably because the financial imbalance in the professional game is stark.

I can think of a another couple of topics suitable for making into programs where Brian Moore would be ideal but would only work on TV and not radio.
  • stormy-weathersstormy-weathers Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed the Whelan interview today but after hearing him about a week ago on the subject of Roberto Martinez I surmise it went something like this, ...............

"Roberto is leaving our club, I stand by Roberto if that's Roberto's decision, if Roberto has decided that then Roberto must know what he wants and I wish Roberto all the best for the future wherever Roberto ends up going. I am sad to see Roberto go but Roberto is the best manager on Earth and the wider galaxies and milky way is Roberto and Roberto will end with a top job in Europe will Roberto, we've worked well Roberto and I and it is Roberto's decision and I stand by Roberto because that's what Roberto wants does Roberto so the best of luck to Roberto and thanks Roberto for all you've done to put Wigan on the map Roberto."
    :D

Not biased is our Dave. :p

Ha ha very amusing and so very Dave Whelan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I would listen to most of those topics. Football finances and the WADA drug testing regime particularly. That last topic about charitable work by clubs is linked to finances. When my club got relegated they dropped off a financial cliff and had to sack dozens of staff. This crisis hit the charitable work inevitably because the financial imbalance in the professional game is stark.

I can think of a another couple of topics suitable for making into programs where Brian Moore would be ideal but would only work on TV and not radio.

I would too I get sick of the same old boring subject matters every day. all the shows sound the same with different presenters in the chair. I admit some of Brian's mentioned subjects might lose me a bit but I like meaty discussion and I'm sure I'd enjoy it more than them discussing the same repetitive stuff to do with the over-glorified top 5 of the premiership because that's all talksport care about, the subjects need a massive widening in my view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha very amusing and so very Dave Whelan

After hearing Whelan's first interview about a week ago I couldn't get it out of my head Stormy it was Roberto this and Roberto that and it seemed to go on and on for ever, the number of times he said the name Roberto I lost count and for a few days afterwards I was walking around the house doing a Mike Yarwood impression of him my missus thinks I'm completely ga ga. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be quite a few ex footballers appearing now and then, whatever happened to don hutchison ? he use to appear from time to time but not atall for a good while i don't think

He was quite articulate. Must be working elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would too I get sick of the same old boring subject matters every day. all the shows sound the same with different presenters in the chair. I admit some of Brian's mentioned subjects might lose me a bit but I like meaty discussion and I'm sure I'd enjoy it more than them discussing the same repetitive stuff to do with the over-glorified top 5 of the premiership because that's all talksport care about, the subjects need a massive widening in my view.

For footy finance you cannot beat David Conn in the Guardian
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the Whelan interview today but after hearing him about a week ago on the subject of Roberto Martinez I surmise it went something like this, ...............

"Roberto is leaving our club, I stand by Roberto if that's Roberto's decision, if Roberto has decided that then Roberto must know what he wants and I wish Roberto all the best for the future wherever Roberto ends up going. I am sad to see Roberto go but Roberto is the best manager on Earth and the wider galaxies and milky way is Roberto and Roberto will end with a top job in Europe will Roberto, we've worked well Roberto and I and it is Roberto's decision and I stand by Roberto because that's what Roberto wants does Roberto so the best of luck to Roberto and thanks Roberto for all you've done to put Wigan on the map Roberto."
    :D

Not biased is our Dave. :p
    :D Do you know, I think he really likes the sound of his own voice saying "Rob errrr torrr".
This discussion has been closed.