Daybreak to undergo another revamp

1235»

Comments

• BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about revamp the whole thing & use the Today Show type show with a UK feel Good Morning America like set with the news desk & behind for the backdrop have the Tower Bridge or Big Ben Parliament in real time, it would be more serious with presenters with the Mark Austin type vibe reporting on the Worlds Top stories with a bit of fun here & there but mainly serious
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    John Stapleton was on the sofa by himself this morning and when it came to interviewing the guest there were no presenters speaking over each other- perhaps one presenter per segment would work better? John did just fine all by himself I thought
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I have been a BBC Breakfast viewer for years. It's got nothing to do with presenters or pairs of presenters, and everything to do with the tone of the programme. ITV seems obsessed with competitions and adverts. I know it makes its money from adverts, but it's interesting that other commercial channels keep their advert breaks to a 1 or 2 minute maximum until 8 or 9am (and these are small channels who surely need the revenue to keep going?) and don't have adverts every 10 minutes either.

And it's the too-frequent and long-winded advertising slots and competition questions (questions that, frankly, even a 3 year old could answer - the cynicism in that ploy is distasteful) and a lack of decent news that means I will never, ever consider ITV again. I used to watch, years and years ago when it was GMTV, but since then it's completely lost its way.

I wonder who is controlling the parameters for the revamps - the advertisers, ITV or whatever - because that is clearly restricting development towards a method that is proven to work, i.e BBC or Sky (although I never watch Sky I've read positive things about it, unlike Daybreak!). Until the restrictions are removed, and the emphasis on pandering to the lowest common denominator of viewer who thinks the competitions on Daybreak are the height of cerebral challenge (and without the brain power to know otherwise), and until the advert breaks are more controlled and more sensibly used, and until they listen to which presenters are preferred (even I know Lorraine is annoying and I don't watch her!) then Daybreak (or any ITV incarnation for Breakfast TV) is sunk.

Daybreak's competitions have to attract contestants with the brainpower of a cream cracker because the majority of people who watch ITV's morning and daytime output have the brains of a cream cracker.

They aren't actually "competitions" as such anyway, they're really prize draws, but to get round some weird law they have to have an element of "skill", hence the pointlessly stupid questions like 'What is the capital of France?'

A. Paris
    B. London
    C. Goldfish
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,178
    Forum Member
    How about promoting Kate to main presenter and relegating Lorraine to just her segment
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    In my opinion they should just leave it alone now, it's practically gmtv in all but name. Viewing figures will gradually rise. Although I do agree with a lot of the posts on here especially the ones that say Helen should be used more, and also give some of the reporters a bit more to do as they often get overlooked.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Jamesp312 wrote: »
    In my opinion they should just leave it alone now, it's practically gmtv in all but name. Viewing figures will gradually rise. Although I do agree with a lot of the posts on here especially the ones that say Helen should be used more, and also give some of the reporters a bit more to do as they often get overlooked.

Yeh...no.