Options

A poor show from Christopher Eccleston

Comments

• Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    And Tom Baker refused the 20th. Big deal.

To be fair, he did play the Doctor the longest and filmed all his regenerations, so he's definitely off the hook in my book. :p
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine if we'd had the internet (or, closer to the period BBS) at the time of the 20th. I bet it would have been in meltdown at the waxwork!
  • Options
    kjwillykjwilly Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    To be fair, he did play the Doctor the longest and filmed all his regenerations, so he's definitely off the hook in my book. :p

Chris may equally get off the hook in the future so who knows. By the Chris also filmed his regeneration scene so I'm not sure what point you are making.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kjwilly wrote: »
    Chris may equally get off the hook in the future so who knows. By the Chris also filmed his regeneration scene so I'm not sure what point you are making.

Eccleston didn't film his initial regeneration as we've seen today, nor did he or will he ever play the Doctor the longest so no brownie points for him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Christopher showed integrity in standing by his decision. I think it was the right one for him. There was something cheap and gaudy about the after show party (and the compilation BBC3 show that followed). He's my doctor and I don't need extra corroboration to support that fact!
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    Eccleston didn't film his initial regeneration as we've seen today, nor did he or will he ever play the Doctor the longest so no brownie points for him.

He brought the show back and gave it credibility it was previously lacking.

Off the hook. :D

It wasn't his choice not to include the initial regeneration and I don't think he's obligated to return to a job after 8 years just to fill in a blank another writer made the decision not to include. :)

Off the hook. ;)
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a cameo (we'll forget a full, "another Doctor" appearance as being unlikely anyway with his schedule with Hollywood etc.) what could Eccleston have done? Hurt would have regenerated into him... we'd have had the initial shock of his appearance (obviously something about the ears) and then probably him looking pensive. Perhaps setting the TARDIS to find him something to do.

There wouldn't have been a lot there, a glorified cameo at best. Whilst it would have been enough for the fans, perhaps he just couldn't see the point of the time and effort on part of his life that he's mostly closed off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He brought the show back and gave it credibility it was previously lacking.

Off the hook. :D

It wasn't his choice not to include the initial regeneration and I don't think he's obligated to return to a job after 8 years just to fill in a blank another writer made the decision not to include. :)

Off the hook. ;)

Alright, alright. He's still no match for Tom Baker.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dr who gained credibility by restarting. something that does not exist has zero crediblity.

i think eccleston expected to play serious drama but then found that he was an onscreen icon in a video game. whereas his successors had already seen nu who so knew whhat to expect .......
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Chris's presence could've made the 9th Doctor scene where he's circling Gallifrey (as opposed to "Now for my next trick which was clearly copied from The Parting of the Ways). I don't blame the production team but it felt really contrived whereas if Chris could've filmed a 5 second scene there and a 5 second regen scene it would've been amazing and added to it. But nevertheless, I respect his choice to opt out and say he didn't want a role and we don't know how his role would've been in the original script.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    Apparently he didn't get on with senior people, there was bullying behaviour happening he didn't like, so he thought staying on would mean accepting things that he thought were immoral. Plus, you know, nine months a year away from home, working 16 hour days in quarries :D

Longer (unconfirmed) quote here...I think the official quote is that he "didn't enjoy the environment and the culture".

AFAIK he also was very upset about a near-accident that happened on one of his early stories. Some platform or scaffolding collapsed or something - people would have been killed if anybody had been underneath.
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this thread's anything to go by, Eccleston's decision not to come back to satisfy the whims of a few fans who weren't even alive in 1989 when the original show was cancelled is entirely justified and vindicated. Apparently you all love Tennant, as he's just been named the "best" Doctor (though how you can scientifically quantify an emotional interpretation of "bestness" given the enormous amount of variables in production, writing, social attitude and acting skills over the 50 year lifespan of the programme is beyond me) and he had the biggest role outside of Matt Smith's in the episode. So the fans got what they wanted. End. Of.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filming just 4 mins of this show takes 11 hours in one day. He had other work commitments. I reckon Moffat never even asked him (that was what he was lying about). Where would 9 fit into that story? Maybe he didn't like it, maybe he had family commitments.

I like the way he remains cool by not appearing in this, the documentary's, the after show party or that dr Who episode that Peter Davison was on about :cool:. A Ha, his moved on with his career. What's wrong with being aloof anyway? It's :cool:

Stop with these boring threads please
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Tom Baker didn't appear in the 20th. In a way its better he didn't as it means the timeline of his Doctor stays intact, so from 9's perspective, Gallifrey is still gone, it also helps explain how some of the Daleks survived.

That's what I mean when I said that I don't think Moffat really did ask Chris to be in it, because having 9 there would have made me even more confused that I am already :confused:. Plus as I said, Chris is too cool :cool:

I reckon he is lying when he said that he has a mortgage to pay
    Granted he has aged less than the majority and could 'slot in' but they needed to draw a line somewhere.
    Loved the scene with every doctor stood there looking on

Yeah, he is still very handsome but he seems to have lost even more weight. Do you think he's anoraxic?
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanielF wrote: »
    As a cameo (we'll forget a full, "another Doctor" appearance as being unlikely anyway with his schedule with Hollywood etc.) what could Eccleston have done? Hurt would have regenerated into him... we'd have had the initial shock of his appearance (obviously something about the ears) and then probably him looking pensive. Perhaps setting the TARDIS to find him something to do.

There wouldn't have been a lot there, a glorified cameo at best. Whilst it would have been enough for the fans, perhaps he just couldn't see the point of the time and effort on part of his life that he's mostly closed off.

How dare you bring common sense into the thread. :D
    spiney2 wrote: »
    dr who gained credibility by restarting. something that does not exist has zero crediblity.

Except it.... kind of.... DID exist.

26 years worth of episodes and a TV movie existed.

But the show was seen as a joke and not worth resurrecting. Hence the humongous effort to get it back on the air.

As much as his detractors wouldn't like to admit, Eccleston was a huge part of the reason the show managed to become a success again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just a TV show, there is o legacy. It's hardly hard hitting drama or the Frost/Nixon interview. Plus it is just a job
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    All he had to do was turn up for half an hour, stand in a room and be regenerated.

Christopher Eccleston - Shame on you!

All that the makers of the programme needed to do was some jiggery pokery and slot his face into the regeneration scene. This might have been enough to please all the obsessive whingers who think that Christopher Ecclestone owes them something.

Why does he get all this hassle when some members of the past cast (however minor), will turn up to the opening of an envelope?
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,932
    Forum Member
    Why do people keep saying "It was his choice" as if in mitigation?

Well duh, yes of course it was. No-one is saying he oughtn't to have a choice.
    He just used his choice to make a piss poor decision.
  • Options
    KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Filming just 4 mins of this show takes 11 hours in one day. He had other work commitments. I reckon Moffat never even asked him (that was what he was lying about). Where would 9 fit into that story? Maybe he didn't like it, maybe he had family commitments.

I like the way he remains cool by not appearing in this, the documentary's, the after show party or that dr Who episode that Peter Davison was on about :cool:. A Ha, his moved on with his career. What's wrong with being aloof anyway? It's :cool:

Stop with these boring threads please

I have no problem accepting that CE didn't want to do the episode but I can't understand saying there wasn't somewhere for him to fit into that story - there clearly was. The story was great but and if it had just been MS I wouldn't have thought CE was missing but as soon as DT was in it and it became about the War Doctor's future the fact one of his future incarnations wasn't there was an elephant in the room especially since the 9th was the most tortured by the destruction of Gallifrey.
  • Options
    jinx2jinx2 Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    How dare you bring common sense into the thread. :D

Except it.... kind of.... DID exist.

26 years worth of episodes and a TV movie existed.

But the show was seen as a joke and not worth resurrecting. Hence the humongous effort to get it back on the air.

As much as his detractors wouldn't like to admit, Eccleston was a huge part of the reason the show managed to become a success again.

And for a whole generation HE will always be their Doctor.
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree. I thought Moffat would work around him not being there, but his absence was really noticeable. If Hurt was seeing his future, why not Eccleston as well as Tennant and Smith? No explanation was provided. And it would have been SO MUCH better if he was there.

There was no reason he couldn't have filmed a scene. But I don't blame him exclusivley, because I also think the producers and editors could have done better. During the regeneration scene, why couldn't it have finished with a cut of Eccleston's face?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Oh good grief, this again, seriously? I really hope he doesn't read the DS forums (somehow I doubt he would, being a busy chap and all)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would've been great to see him playing the role again, but if his time there was unhappy I can understand him not wanting to go back. Maybe he'll turn up during another anniversary, years from now, when the people he (apparently) wasn't happy with have gone elsewhere. :)
  • Options
    dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that the makers of the programme needed to do was some jiggery pokery and slot his face into the regeneration scene. This might have been enough to please all the obsessive whingers who think that Christopher Ecclestone owes them something.

The obsessive defenders, who are seemingly unable to cope with others having their differing opinions, are getting a bit tedious tbh.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Thamwet wrote: »
    I do agree. I thought Moffat would work around him not being there, but his absence was really noticeable. If Hurt was seeing his future, why not Eccleston as well as Tennant and Smith? No explanation was provided. And it would have been SO MUCH better if he was there.

There was no reason he couldn't have filmed a scene. But I don't blame him exclusivley, because I also think the producers and editors could have done better. During the regeneration scene, why couldn't it have finished with a cut of Eccleston's face?
    Then why not capaldi?, and why not all the doctors afterwards?