Which part of the drivers theory test did you find more difficult?

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The multiple choice questions or the hazard perception? I have my test next week and have been studying like mad with the apps for both parts and think I am doing really well on the multiple choice but the hazard perception does my head in as sometimes I do really well then other times I get 0 probably for clicking to soon or too much. :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    As long as you learn the multiple choice you should be ok. However, I found when I did mine in June that they word the questions a bit strangely sometimes so make sure you read them through a couple of times. The Hazard Perception, while not more difficult, is marked in a way that you need to click at exactly the right time to get maximum points. If I remember rightly, for example, if you see a bicycle coming along the pavement it is not a hazard but the second it changes direction towards the road it is then that you should click as it is at that point it becomes a hazard. I used the apps constantly for a couple of months and passed first time. Good Luck :)
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayBird78 wrote: »
    As long as you learn the multiple choice you should be ok. However, I found when I did mine in June that they word the questions a bit strangely sometimes so make sure you read them through a couple of times. The Hazard Perception, while not more difficult, is marked in a way that you need to click at exactly the right time to get maximum points. If I remember rightly, for example, if you see a bicycle coming along the pavement it is not a hazard but the second it changes direction towards the road it is then that you should click as it is at that point it becomes a hazard. I used the apps constantly for a couple of months and passed first time. Good Luck :)

Yeah its really annoying not knowing the exact time to click I will be so bummed if I fail this part and pass the other.
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Hazard perception....if you have seen any of the clips before it's very easy to click too early and get zero!
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of it. I finished it in about 5 minutes and the only person to finish quicker than me was a chinese guy. I imagine he passed too :p
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Never taken it myself but a mate recently took it so he could get an Irish driving license and he reckons the hazard perception was a bit odd.

Thing is, there's a bunch of "official" hazards in the video's but you can (according to my mate) click the doodad whenever you want and you'll pass IF you get all (or most?) of the "official" ones and you can offer a good explanation for why you clicked all the other times.

Can't recall the exact numbers but if, say, there are 10 "official" hazards in the video my mate reckons he spotted all of those and spotted another 10 or so as well but because he could justify all the additional "unofficial" hazards he passed with top marks.

So, assuming he's telling the truth, it seems the trick is just to click whenever you think there's a hazard rather than worrying about whether you're picking out the "correct" ones.

To reitterate, though, that's just what a mate told me and it might be complete rubbish. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Never taken it myself but a mate recently took it so he could get an Irish driving license and he reckons the hazard perception was a bit odd.

Thing is, there's a bunch of "official" hazards in the video's but you can (according to my mate) click the doodad whenever you want and you'll pass IF you get all (or most?) of the "official" ones and you can offer a good explanation for why you clicked all the other times.

Can't recall the exact numbers but if, say, there are 10 "official" hazards in the video my mate reckons he spotted all of those and spotted another 10 or so as well but because he could justify all the additional "unofficial" hazards he passed with top marks.

So, assuming he's telling the truth, it seems the trick is just to click whenever you think there's a hazard rather than worrying about whether you're picking out the "correct" ones.

To reitterate, though, that's just what a mate told me and it might be complete rubbish. :o

In the UK one you get lots of different films each lasting about a minute - I think there was 15. At the start of the test it tells you that there is one hazard in each clip and in one there is two hazards. You are only allowed a certain amount of clicks per clip to stop you clicking randomly.
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passed first time in 2010. I think as long as you revise you're grand
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed my test before the theory test came out but I had a go on the computer when my partner was studying for his. The hazard perception test was really hard and I never passed it. In twenty odd years of driving I've managed to not hit anything though so I'm not overly concerned.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    the "what is the name of your instructor?" question ;)
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    None of it, as I passed my test long before it was introduced.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never got around to doing the test but when I was practising I was getting 100% on the questions and doing about average on the hazard perception, so definitely the latter.