Options

Snobs on here.

Comments

• Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people actually really suit bleach blonde hair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Some people actually really suit bleach blonde hair.

Agreed, some do.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    Yes I do, and I think it looks amazing on me. I don't dress slutty, and neither do I dress in tracksuits or cheap tatty uggs or anything like that, I am a clean and presentable person, that's loves buying nice clothes and shoes.

You sound a bit of a snob to me.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    'Bleached' hair sounds awful. Blonde highlights brings up a totally different image. I think really overdyed hair looks a bit chavvy (or skangery as we say here in Ireland) as does too much make up or too short dresses that show your knickers.
    It's not a new thing though. For instance if you read an Agatha Christie book and she describes someone as having dyed blonde hair and thin plucked eyebrows you immmediately know she's trying to tell you 'this person is common'.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people can seem snobby about different things depending on their personal circumstances.

Judging others is normal, to some extent, but openly commenting on it is another matter; we're all capable of holding our tongues and being tactful.

Making a judgment online isn't quite the same thing as saying it out loud to someone's face, so I try to remember that when I read what people post on a forum. They might be playing devil's advocate or trying to rile others up.

There's nothing wrong with being common or being at the lower end of the financial spectrum, but to me a 'chav' is more about the behavior than appearance. Someone with a potty mouth gobbing off strangers is a chav, no matter what they're wearing or what their employment status is.
  • Options
    KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I currently have blonde highlights but I don't consider them 'chavy'. I have been blonde,redhaired and brunette and don't judge others on their hair colour.

Actually I think the term 'chavy' is just a lazy redundant stereotype that people adopt when they want to judge others.

Let them carry on. Do what makes you happy.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a snob.

I don't judge people based on their bleached hair alone. If the hair is part of a package looking like Lola from EastEnders then if the shoe fits...

Psh, even watching EastEnders is considered chavvy! I guess knowing that reference makes me and my raven hair a chav. Everyone's a chav! You wear hoop earrings? Chav. Adidas shoes? Chav. Track bottoms to lounge in? Chav. Highland Spring over Evian? Chav.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a girl where I work who had very bright red hair and frankly I thought she'd be a right chav when I first saw her, turns out she is the complete opposite, and very intelligent with it.

Where I work most people would be considered chavvy, but there are done properly sound people here, more so than many who would appear respectable. Hell even I probably look and sound like one to many but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Appearances can be deceptive ;)
  • Options
    FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do so many women dye their hair blonde? Is it desperation to look good? Social pressure?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do so many women dye their hair blonde? Is it desperation to look good? Social pressure?

Well I can't speak for other ladies but I just felt like a change.

Its not really a big deal tbh.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    KittyKream wrote: »
    I currently have blonde highlights but I don't consider them 'chavy'. I have been blonde,redhaired and brunette and don't judge others on their hair colour.

Actually I think the term 'chavy' is just a lazy redundant stereotype that people adopt when they want to judge others.

Let them carry on. Do what makes you happy.

Using the word chav ususally says more about the user then the person they are describing I think
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a girl where I work who had very bright red hair and frankly I thought she'd be a right chav when I first saw her, turns out she is the complete opposite, and very intelligent with it.

Where I work most people would be considered chavvy, but there are done properly sound people here, more so than many who would appear respectable. Hell even I probably look and sound like one to many but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Appearances can be deceptive ;)

They really can.
    People should not judge books by their cover,of course I think we are innately programmed to do that.
    But I try not to as I am aware that appearance often contrasts with character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    Using the word chav ususally says more about the user then the person they are describing I think

Agreed,same with any label

People are all individuals and should be accepted as such. Its just stereotyping and trying to pigeon hole.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You tryna say only blondes look good?

:D
  • Options
    FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    You tryna say only blondes look good?

Haha no, I would just say it.

I don't have a solid preference for hair colour, but dyed blonde is my least favourite just because I like the natural look.
  • Options
    MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, ha not saying what colour my hair is currently, and I peroxided beforehand for vividness. ;-) Wearing proudly! :D

Then again I please myself with how I dress etc.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do many males dye their hair blonde?

I can think of a few celebrities who have dyed their hair blonde, but mainly for film roles.

Ryan Gosling - The Place Beyond The Pines.
    Tom Felton - Harry Potter.
    Some others....

My brother dyed his hair blonde once but he's not famous even though he wants to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Chav shmav. If you're looking down your nose at someone you deem beneath you, you can bet that someone is looking down their nose at you because they see you as beneath them. What hair colour has to do with it though is another matter entirely.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A book I read a few years ago said something about women with blonde hair produce more estrogen so men are biologically programmed to find that attractive. Personally, I think natural blonde hair is rare so women try to emulate that in a bid to be a bit more special or get noticed. It's not a bad thing, people do all sorts of things to stand out among their peers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading some old threads and come across people on here saying that anyone with bleach blonde hair is basically skanky and chavvy and just in general use the word chav to define anyone that they think they are superior to.

How many people are fed up with the overuse of this word?
    And does it make anyone else angry that some people on here would automatically judge you as below them, just because you like having bleach blonde hair?

I have bleached blonde hair and I am a chav... they can call away:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For me it is because my skin is that pale (almost translucent) my natural colour (brown) really does not make me look well at all.

I wish I could wear my natural colour well, it would be a lot cheaper but it honeslty makes me look ill, especially as I do not wear make up 95% of the time.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Grammar snobs really annoy me
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    I was reading some old threads and come across people on here saying that anyone with bleach blonde hair is basically skanky and chavvy and just in general use the word chav to define anyone that they think they are superior to.

How many people are fed up with the overuse of this word?
    And does it make anyone else angry that some people on here would automatically judge you as below them, just because you like having bleach blonde hair?

Balls to them, be true to you and be happy in life. People like to sneer, it makes them feel better. Rise above it and smile :)
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Grammar snobs really annoy me

I know. How snobbish it is to be able to speak and write one's native language correctly. How dare they.

BTW you missed a full-stop.:)

Happy to help.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think OP fancies herself.