Options

International Cricket 2014

Comments

• Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Faulkner is a freak, 2nd time he has done this.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    OK I must admit this has even staggered me. How did England manage to lose that one? Really. It was looking so good too
  • Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Nicholas' interview with James Faulkner was so awkward. He doesnt seem to ask questions, he sort of makes statements and the player isnt really sure what to say in response!
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone noticed that we seem to lose more often than win after we score 300 in ODI's?
  • Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone noticed that we seem to lose more often than win after we score 300 in ODI's?

Has anyone noticed that we seem to lose?
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta be the end of Rankin

Off the field with cramp again when we needed him. He's only had 3 months to get fit
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nova21 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that we seem to lose?

Far too much lately.:(
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »
    Gotta be the end of Rankin

Off the field with cramp again when we needed him. He's only had 3 months to get fit

Well, Broads due back next match, so that's a clear upgrade. Yeah, bye-bye Rankin, can't say it's been great.

Anyway, I'm oddly not too pissed off about this loss, maybe I'm just getting used to them:p

but I really think in Ballance, Buttler, Jordan and Stokes we've got some decent players who could be useful in all forms, all about the same age. Let's face it, that's what we need ATM, a real over-haul.

Hopefully Root and Finn can get over their horror tours to and come back, both are young, and both have shown great form in their careers, but I'd be happy if they worked out their problems in County Cricket next year
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many more times Ashley - you cannot pick Cook, Bell & Root as a top 3. All 3 score at 80% tops. Will we never learn? Ashley has his favourites - this has to stop if we are to be taken seriously as an ODI force again.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Well I suppose the obvious comment is that if our lot score 300 it must be a really good batting track and therefore the Aussies (or anyone else) are always going to get 300 unless we bowl them out
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite losing, it did happen to be our first positive performance.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member

I was going to say that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    How many more times Ashley - you cannot pick Cook, Bell & Root as a top 3. All 3 score at 80% tops. Will we never learn? Ashley has his favourites - this has to stop if we are to be taken seriously as an ODI force again.

So 300 was a poor score then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nova21 wrote: »
    Mark Nicholas' interview with James Faulkner was so awkward. He doesnt seem to ask questions, he sort of makes statements and the player isnt really sure what to say in response!

I was waiting for him to say you are living the dream
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    So 300 was a poor score then

No it wasn't, but some are obsessed with the top3, clearly Root and Cook are hideously out-of-form, and Trott and KP aren't there, for whatever reason. We should have defended it.

Was the biggest chase at the Gabba ever, I think, can't blame the batting this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No it wasn't, but some are obsessed with the top3, clearly Root and Cook are hideously out-of-form, and Trott and KP aren't there, for whatever reason. We should have defended it.

Was the biggest chase at the Gabba ever, I think, can't blame the batting this time.

exactly it was the bowlers. But of course it doesn't excuse the top 3 batters bell can be nearer 100% strike rate. Cook is going to be the greatest England run scorer of all time. But he needs to start scoring in tests again.

I don't mind cook in the ODI team but I would love to see him open with pietersen or similar.
  • Options
    Egg slicerEgg slicer Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Well, Broads due back next match, so that's a clear upgrade. Yeah, bye-bye Rankin, can't say it's been great.

Anyway, I'm oddly not too pissed off about this loss, maybe I'm just getting used to them:p

but I really think in Ballance, Buttler, Jordan and Stokes we've got some decent players who could be useful in all forms, all about the same age. Let's face it, that's what we need ATM, a real over-haul.

Hopefully Root and Finn can get over their horror tours to and come back, both are young, and both have shown great form in their careers, but I'd be happy if they worked out their problems in County Cricket next year

You are right but it must include management aswell, you just know Flower will end up sucking the life out of those exciting young talents you mention, that simply cannot be allowed to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    exactly it was the bowlers. But of course it doesn't excuse the top 3 batters bell can be nearer 100% strike rate. Cook is going to be the greatest England run scorer of all time. But he needs to start scoring in tests again.

I don't mind cook in the ODI team but I would love to see him open with pietersen or similar.

Well, KP will bat top-3, if he gets's back, and then we'll work around that in ODIs. Bell is a bit odd in that you'd think he'd be a natural number 3, but his record there is awful, but it's been good as opener. I don't really know how you work the side out.

I'd probably start our first ODI next Summer like this:

Cook
    KP
    Ballance
    Morgan
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Bopara
    Patel
    Jordan
    Broad
    Anderson

Horribly unfair on Bell, but there it is, I've moved everyone up a place and put Bop down, simply because he seems to be more a bowler than a batter now. Really should have bowled more than 5 last night. Gives a chance for Buttler and Morgan to play longer innings. If Trott is fit I'm happy to go with him over Ballance TBH.

Patel has a decent record in ODIs and I know they don't like his fitness levels, but who else can smack quick runs down the order whilst bowling some useful spin?
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure long term but for this series I would like

Cook
    Bell
    Stokes/ Root
    Balance
    Morgan
    Buttler
    Root/ Stokes
    Bopara
    Broad
    Jordan
    Briggs

I would still keep Root in, not just for his bowling but as a floating batsman
    Come in at 3 or 4 if we lose quick wickets and lower down the order if we have a good start ( like today) and act as a support to the big hitters down the order
    I've never really understood why a batsman has to have his batting position set in stone ( especially in one dayers) and I think someone such as Root would work well for the team acting in a floating position
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/710723.html
    this will be albsoultly dreadful if this happens.
    When detailing Test match promotion and relegation, the document states that "relegation exceptions" will apply to India, England and Australia. This is "solely in order to protect ICC income due to the importance of those markets and teams to prospective ICC media rights buyers."
    A representative of a Full Member board outside the BCCI-CA-ECB triad said the proposals were a radical return to the old "veto system" in which England and Australia controlled all decision-making. The newest, richest and, therefore, most influential entrant into this club of power is the BCCI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/710723.html
    this will be albsoultly dreadful if this happens.

Hope this doesn't happen. Don't know what South Africa will make of this and then I noticed the Chief Exec of the committee is Dave Richardson !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Hope this doesn't happen. Don't know what South Africa will make of this and then I noticed the Chief Exec of the committee is Dave Richardson !

My take on this is that ICC, BCCI, ECB and CA, wants a Test Championship, But the old format caused issues, Since BCCI, ECB, CA had to take part, which meant only one spot was available which would Most likely go to South Africa, Which made the whole point of qualifying for the test championship pointless, since Pak, WI, NZ and Sri Lanka had no chance of qualifying.

So Now ICC are gonna add two Test Nations ( Ireland and Afghanistan) have Two division of 6.

Division 1
    India (Can't be Relegated)
    England (Can't be Relegated)
    Australia (Can't be Relegated)
    South Africa
    Pakistan
    Sri Lanka

Division 2
    West Indies
    New Zealand
    Bangladesh
    Zimbabwe
    Afghanistan
    Ireland

there is another article that States that ECB, CA and BCCI promise to tour division 2 teams once every 8 years.

so it would basically mean India, Australia England would be able to have more 5 test series and long tours, SA would have longer tours with the big nations, so all the division 1 teams would benefit financially.

It would probably work like this you play each other twice home and away in a 4 year cycle in the same division, and once in 8 years in the other division and a playoff every 4 years.
    7 out of 11 votes still need to agree with this, but it would probably get enough votes to pass it.
    ECB will vote yes
    BCCI will vote yes
    CA will vote yes
    CSA will vote yes
    Pak will vote yes
    Sri lanka will vote yes
    Crucially the one vote the Associate Members get will vote yes, which is why Ireland and Afghanistan will get test status.
    Since the division 2 teams barring Ireland and Afghanistan will reject the vote.
    WI No
    Bangladesh No
    Zimbabwe no
    New Zealand no

CSA, Pak and Sri lanka will vote yes, since being in division one would mean they would play india, Eng and Aus more, if they said no, they could be a scenario where BCCI, ECB and CA never play these nations again, or enough for them to financially survive.

Can't see how teams in Division 2 will survive Financially, it looks certain two major cricketing teams will die out in the future, unless the big 3 fund the division 2 teams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers Bhav. That all makes sense

Nb If Ireland do get Test status , they're not having Eoin back..!
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    unbelievable to lose that game from where we were

great innings from Faulkner but some of the bowling to him was pure filth

Faulkner was amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Cheers Bhav. That all makes sense

Nb If Ireland do get Test status , they're not having Eoin back..!

Well serious issue here, I think Eoin is good enough to stay with us, but Rankin is going to be useless now, if they do this, surely they must allow people like him to be able to go ack into the Irish fold more easily.
This discussion has been closed.