The Big Reunion: Series 2

Comments

• 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eternal - the most ironically named band in Showbiz!
    Did like them though - shame it went sour.

Never heard of A1 but that bloke with the curtains comes across as a bit of a knob!
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked that show - much better than last week :)
  • Jon411Jon411 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Much better than last week's episode, felt like the show was back on the level of last year although it's a shame they lumped A1 and Eternal together as they probably could of easily filled a whole hour each/ or been given more time if they had been put alongside one of the less successful acts where as last week's felt like it was scraping the barrel a bit to try and fill the hour between Damage and Girl Thing (even with the introduction segment).
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it . I actually own girl things first cd and even have their ditched album .

So much negativity here if you don't like it switch over .
    Nicely put! I liked the first episode and had liked Damage at the time when they were big (yes, they were at one point!) as they had an unique sound. Admittedly I never heard of 'Girl Thing' before; I had heard that Jodi Albert was in some girl group with some similarity to the Spice Girls, but that's about it.
    Keviness wrote: »
    An average of 572,000 viewers for last nights episode. :blush:
    To be honest, I hadn't since that much advertising for the show, it was only by chance I had the TV still on ITV after watching Birds of A Feather and it was either advertised there or there was a finger slip on the remote control and it ended up on ITV2! I didn't know this thread existed either!!
    cavalli wrote: »
    Vernie looks about 50 :o
    LOL I can recall at the time when it was the three of them, that most people around me felt that the sisters were quite old or old looking for the music and/or to be in the same group as Kellie.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andi Peters is cracking me up this week
  • Jon411Jon411 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I loved the A1 "Named after" bits - shame they couldn't find a few more to throw into the second half of the show :D
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    topcat3 wrote: »

It's probably not the first time he's touched someone's crack :P
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »

His different explanations of A1's name were funny :D
  • annwannw Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot put my finger on why i am not enjoying this reunion as much as the last one.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    annw wrote: »
    Cannot put my finger on why i am not enjoying this reunion as much as the last one.

I can... It's because it's crap!
  • rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swear I don't recognise esther and vernie? is it really them?
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight The Big Reunion was back on form, and namely due to Eternal who are by far the biggest and best group out of the whole line-up this year. To be honest I think UI would have preferred it if the whole hour was given to them!

I LOVE Eternal, and I just hope they make their long overdue comeback with new music once this TV show is complete.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sisters in Eternal - they had a massive reputation back in the day as totally vile nightmares to work with.
  • francis7francis7 Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I barely recognised the two Eternal sisters without the blue contact lenses in they used to wear all the time.
  • KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    umr3000 wrote: »
    Tonight The Big Reunion was back on form, and namely due to Eternal who are by far the biggest and best group out of the whole line-up this year. To be honest I think UI would have preferred it if the whole hour was given to them!

I LOVE Eternal, and I just hope they make their long overdue comeback with new music once this TV show is complete.

I remember being a big fan of Eternal too, probably more for their earlier stuff. Stay and Just a Step from Heaven are great pop songs imo.:)
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    Jon411 wrote: »
    I loved the A1 "Named after" bits - shame they couldn't find a few more to throw into the second half of the show :D

He had me giggling at that. I do like Mr Peters :D
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andi Peters is too involved in the show in that he makes jokes etc. Just present the show Andi and not become part of the story. I don't remember him doing this in the first series.
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Andi Peters is too involved in the show in that he makes jokes etc. Just present the show Andi and not become part of the story. I don't remember him doing this in the first series.

I don't think he actually writes his voice over scripts, does he?
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »

I do. I imagine he's given a script to read rather than making his own jokes, but I enjoy his voice-over.
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Eternal story was very interesting. I'd heard the Bennetts were complete and utter nightmares back in the day., which I took to be the reason Louise quit and Kelle was eventually fired.

However, based on last night's show it doesn't seem like that's the whole story; rather it just seems that they didn't click as a unit. It seems that Louise and Vernie were actually quite close, whilst Kelle and Esther didn't 'click', and when Louise quit Vernie and Esther became closer. It didn't come across to me as though they completely and deliberately ostracized Kelle; just that the two sides (sisters on one, Kelle on the other) grew more distant and none of them did anything to address it. Everyone's got that one or two colleagues that they don't always gel with, but I suppose in their situation it was massively amplified.

Kelle didn't come across as a total victim, and the sisters didn't come across as complete and utter cows.

It seems like they all lacked the maturity back then to do anything about the situation that ultimately led to the demise of the group when Kelle was sacked/released depending on your perspective.

I don't agree with how it was done though (similar to Kelly Brook being sacked from The Big Breakfast) - the decent thing would have been to tell her directly.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,982
    Forum Member
    325k for last nights episode with the 2 biggest bands of the series, down 71% on Episode 2 last year which focused on Atomic Kitten and 911.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why but I'm just not feeling this line up as much as last years and I did like Eternal and A1. I think the highlight was Andi Peters comical narration
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,982
    Forum Member
    Last nights was much better, two actually interesting stories to be told. I had never heard about the fan thing with A1 and never really knew that Eternal's friction went back to the very beginning.

I'm not feeling at much as last year, I was a fan of all the acts at the end, and except for the Honeyz id heard of all of them before the series started. As soon as I heard Finally Found and End of The Line I knew who they were. Girl Thing, boring a group that had hype and lost it, I can't remember a single Damage song, I've never heard anything from 3T and of the so called 'super group' I like Freak Me by Another Level (Dane) and embarrassingly Flip Reverse by Blazin Squad (Kenzie)

They could have made Series 2 and extension of Series 1, following the bands on another set of shows and replacing Liberty X and Blue with Eternal and A1. They could have released an album of collaborations, 5ive featuring Atomic Kitten - Keep On Movin', sort of thing to sell the series. I know that won't be everybody's idea of a good series, but I really don't like this years line-up.

I hope Big Reunion 1.0 do some more shows together too. They were great last year
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KnowAll27 wrote: »
    The Eternal story was very interesting. I'd heard the Bennetts were complete and utter nightmares back in the day., which I took to be the reason Louise quit and Kelle was eventually fired.

However, based on last night's show it doesn't seem like that's the whole story; rather it just seems that they didn't click as a unit. It seems that Louise and Vernie were actually quite close, whilst Kelle and Esther didn't 'click', and when Louise quit Vernie and Esther became closer. It didn't come across to me as though they completely and deliberately ostracized Kelle; just that the two sides (sisters on one, Kelle on the other) grew more distant and none of them did anything to address it. Everyone's got that one or two colleagues that they don't always gel with, but I suppose in their situation it was massively amplified.

Kelle didn't come across as a total victim, and the sisters didn't come across as complete and utter cows.

It seems like they all lacked the maturity back then to do anything about the situation that ultimately led to the demise of the group when Kelle was sacked/released depending on your perspective.

I don't agree with how it was done though (similar to Kelly Brook being sacked from The Big Breakfast) - the decent thing would have been to tell her directly.

Agreed. And the Bennetts also said they had kept their silence for the past 15 years.

Like you, I think they just didn't gel as a unit and Kelle came in last so was the fourth wheel by then. There were probably things said and done on both sides they regret and look back on thinking 'we'd do that differently'.

It's totally plausible they were total divas (all remaining 3 of them) and maybe even that was why Louise left? Or she pre-empted the animosity and wanted out before it boiled over.

But it's a long time ago.

It also proves that fibbing was always part of the game (and still is). The girls saying on one chatshow they were all friends outside the band, but now we know they barely spoke. Shame because they were so fabulous, really flew the flag for Britain and could do well again if they got past their differences. A1 too, though I guess Paul would never return.
    Originally Posted by cavalli

Vernie looks about 50

Lol, whaaa? She's a gorgeous striking woman and she looks fab and sophisticated. She's changed but there's nerry a wrinkle anywhere near any of them arnd they're all near 40/40+.

What on earth are you seeing? :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed last weeks show so was def going to enjoy this week. Shocked Eternal and A1 were in the same show as to me they were the biggest names. I think GirlThing and Damage are going to create the current conflict, whereas Eternal will show it's all been left in the past.

They seem to overlook A1 have been together for years
    Plus Vernie has been totally rebuilt and looks nothing like she did. Easther and Kelle look the same.

I'm not really interested in 5th story or 3T so will be interested to see what happens. Hence why I think they're padding their show out with more Eternal