Options

Why should males wear shirts/ties and women allowed to wear dresses in work?

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stick on a bra, thong and high heels and then tell us how comfy women's clothes are. Photos please.

Don't forget tights/stockings as well, which are no fun in the height of summer! Oh, and having to be immaculately coiffed and made-up at all times as well. :D
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest men aren't built to wear that kind of stuff are they? ;-)

Not sure about that, plenty of men have manboobs these days.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wear boots, black trousers, shirt and tie. Winter or summer. and I'm female. The males wear the same.

Only time its different if we are allowed to wear polo shirts. Again though, both male and female wear the same.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    No dresscode where I work.

Just come in wearing what you want!
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine for a moment that 'the tie' didn't exist until today.
    Can you imagine the ridicule that would be thrown at any designer revealing their new male accessory - 'The Tie'..

"I'm Nick Clockwatcher and I'm at the London Clothes Show where celebrated designer Farquar McPonce will shortly unveil his new range of men's attire for the Spring season. Excitement's already at fever pitch over an entirely new male accessory which Farquar is calling the 'Tie'. It's designed to add some sparkle to the limited and and jaded range of uniforms that us males wear throughout our lives. I spoke to Farquar earlier, Farquar....

Hi Nick. What can I say about my new creation ? For far too long, us men have been crying out for some sense of individualism in our clothing - and I think I've nailed it ! Basically what I've done is take a strip of fabric and make it a bit wider at one end than it is at the other.

Sounds Great Farquar. Ok, so what does the strip of fabric or 'Tie' look like ?

Well Nick, that's the great thing. Some of them can be red, some can be blue and some can have patterns printed on to them.

Fab stuff Farquar. How is your fabric strip worn then ?

Ah - you'll love this bit Nick. What you do is take the fabric strip or 'Tie', and then wrap it tightly around your neck, and tie an knot in it just in front of your windpipe, leaving the rest of it to dangle down in front of your shirt - although I'm working on a way of stopping the dangling - maybe a clip of some kind. My hope is than in a few years, it will become a vital addition to the male sartorial lexicon - much like trousers and shirts. In fact, ideally, I'd love to see it adopted as an essential part of the male business uniform that everyone might hate, but has to wear because everyone else does - although I'm sure there's be some beardy hippies who'll resist. There always are..
    and I've heard some moaning from the Health & Safety brigade, they're all up in arms about the idea of tying things round your neck. Pish Posh I say. When did something being tied around the neck ever do anyone any harm ?

Well that all sounds super Farquar - I might even try one myself later, but one final question, beyond adding a bit of 'sparkle' to the male uniform, what's the purpose of your new 'Tie' ?

Erm Nick, I haven't really thought about that yet, does it have to have a purpose ?"
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Imagine for a moment that 'the tie' didn't exist until today.
    Can you imagine the ridicule that would be thrown at any designer revealing their new male accessory - 'The Tie'..

"I'm Nick Clockwatcher and I'm at the London Clothes Show where celebrated designer Farquar McPonce will shortly unveil his new range of men's attire for the Spring season. Excitement's already at fever pitch over an entirely new male accessory which Farquar is calling the 'Tie'. It's designed to add some sparkle to the limited and and jaded range of uniforms that us males wear throughout our lives. I spoke to Farquar earlier, Farquar....

Hi Nick. What can I say about my new creation ? For far too long, us men have been crying out for some sense of individualism in our clothing - and I think I've nailed it ! Basically what I've done is take a strip of fabric and make it a bit wider at one end than it is at the other.

Sounds Great Farquar. Ok, so what does the strip of fabric or 'Tie' look like ?

Well Nick, that's the great thing. Some of them can be red, some can be blue and some can have patterns printed on to them.

Fab stuff Farquar. How is your fabric strip worn then ?

Ah - you'll love this bit Nick. What you do is take the fabric strip or 'Tie', and then wrap it tightly around your neck, and tie an knot in it just in front of your windpipe, leaving the rest of it to dangle down in front of your shirt - although I'm working on a way of stopping the dangling - maybe a clip of some kind. My hope is than in a few years, it will become a vital addition to the male sartorial lexicon - much like trousers and shirts. In fact, ideally, I'd love to see it adopted as an essential part of the male business uniform that everyone might hate, but has to wear because everyone else does - although I'm sure there's be some beardy hippies who'll resist. There always are..

Well that all sounds super Farquar - I might even try one myself later, but one final question, beyond adding a bit of 'sparkle' to the male uniform, what's the purpose of your new 'Tie' ?

Erm Nick, I haven't really thought about that yet, does it have to have a purpose ?"

Haha, brilliant. Never thought about it like that, it's not like a belt, is it?
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, brilliant. Never thought about it like that, it's not like a belt, is it?

It's purpose is that when you dribble your lunch down your front, you only have to change the tie and not your shirt.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I really don't see the need for any sort of formal attire in non-customer having roles. Seems ever so old-fashioned and conformist.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I'll never forget the time we heard the clip clopping of high heeled shoes coming down the ward and said to each other "who on earth wears high heels to visit someone in hospital?" Lo and behold one of the female cardio doctors appears! Not only is she wearing 5 inch heels that she can barely stand in, but shes also wearing a tight bodycon dress, her hair down and full face of make up!

Why should everyone else have to wear frumpy uniforms and the female doctors can strut around looking like theyve just fell out of a night club?

Or more to the point, should a doctor be wearing heels like that? What if shes called to a heart attack? Can a patient really wait for her to totter down the corridor trying to stay upright?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »

Why should everyone else have to wear frumpy uniforms and the female doctors can strut around looking like they've just fell out of a night club?

A desire/need of attention I'd guess...
  • Options
    bad-beatbad-beat Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Become self-employed and work from home. You can wear whatever you want. Heck, you could even forgo clothes altogether.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Actually, I've always thought it's un-fair on women that men can get away with wearing the same suit/ trousers/ jacket more than once in the same week, yet woe betide any woman that wears the same dress more than once.

This. As a woman, if I wore a suit to work, and a different but same coloured blouse as the day before, I guarantee someone would point out that I'm wearing the same thing two days in a row. I'd far prefer to not have to think about what I'm going to wear to work. Suit, shirt, tie. Sorted.
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    This. As a woman, if I wore a suit to work, and a different but same coloured blouse as the day before, I guarantee someone would point out that I'm wearing the same thing two days in a row. I'd far prefer to not have to think about what I'm going to wear to work. Suit, shirt, tie. Sorted.

I agree, that's why I do just that even on dress-down Fridays. Somebody made a complaint about me for "not dressing down"... :o
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    It's purpose is that when you dribble your lunch down your front, you only have to change the tie and not your shirt.

I thought its purpose was to accidentally get stuck in the shredder initially creating panic then much hilarity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trphil wrote: »
    I agree, that's why I do just that even on dress-down Fridays. Somebody made a complaint about me for "not dressing down"... :o

The grass is always greener.

What if you didn't have a choice in the matter and 'had' to wear a uniform ? From my observations, 'wimmin' don't take too kindly to mandated dress codes...;-)

In any case, how is ironing five blouses on a Sunday evening for the working week ahead in any way different from ironing 5 shirts for the working week ahead.

I'll let you into a little secret - no-one gives a toss about the colour of colleagues blouses and whether the same colour puts in an appearance on two consecutive days. Wouldn't it take vanity of huge proportions to imagine otherwise ?
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I love my three piece suits and ties.

I always feel slightly uncomfortable if I come in wearing jeans and a hoodie instead - plus i find I have to REALLY think about the right mix of casual stuff. while the suit, dark shirt and tie combo's are simple choices in comparison.

Ok, I may be a bit of a peacock too. :D
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    I think the men should be allowed to wear colourful dresses/blouses once in a while.

Brilliant :D
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    :
    gashead wrote: »
    Actually, I've always thought it's un-fair on women that men can get away with wearing the same suit/ trousers/ jacket more than once in the same week, yet woe betide any woman that wears the same dress more than once.

well said:)
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    A dress can be just as smart as a shirt and tie. If men have to wear a shirt and tie then the women dress similar but in women's clothes. Which in some cases is a dress or a blouse and a skirt. I don't actually see what the problem is:confused:
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    The grass is always greener.

What if you didn't have a choice in the matter and 'had' to wear a uniform ? From my observations, 'wimmin' don't take too kindly to mandated dress codes...;-)

In any case, how is ironing five blouses on a Sunday evening for the working week ahead in any way different from ironing 5 shirts for the working week ahead.

I'll let you into a little secret - no-one gives a toss about the colour of colleagues blouses and whether the same colour puts in an appearance on two consecutive days. Wouldn't it take vanity of huge proportions to imagine otherwise ?

I like how you manage to speak for everyone.

Before I worked where I worked now, I worked in retail and had to wear a uniform, and had no problem with that at all.

Women in my office do care, and it's pathetic. Many a time I have overheard not-so-quiet conversations between colleagues, poking fun at another colleague for wearing the same blouse two days in a row, or more than once in the same week. Or for wearing the same trousers/skirt. Believe it or not, there are some very vain people in the world.

I'd like to point out that I myself don't actually care. The trousers I'm wearing today, I wore yesterday. If memory serves me correctly, the jumper I'm wearing I also wore on Monday.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The daft thing is, office clothes does not automatically mean smart. We have some right scruffs in here, me included. I wear long sleeve teeshirts from george at asda with crappy trousers from sainsbo. I have biker boots on under them today as my heeled shoes died about two months ago and I CBA buying anymore. I resent spending money on clothes I dont feel comfortable in and i hate officewear so I will spend as little as I need to.

Plus I think office wear is from a bygone era, and should be left for meetings and customer facing individuals. If you are sat at a desk all day or out on site whats the harm in wearing smart casual / jeans etc?
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I'll never forget the time we heard the clip clopping of high heeled shoes coming down the ward and said to each other "who on earth wears high heels to visit someone in hospital?" Lo and behold one of the female cardio doctors appears! Not only is she wearing 5 inch heels that she can barely stand in, but shes also wearing a tight bodycon dress, her hair down and full face of make up!

Why should everyone else have to wear frumpy uniforms and the female doctors can strut around looking like theyve just fell out of a night club?

Or more to the point, should a doctor be wearing heels like that? What if shes called to a heart attack? Can a patient really wait for her to totter down the corridor trying to stay upright?

I feel more comfortable in heels than flat shoes because I have a high instep. First started wearing high heels when I was about 15 and love them. I can run for a bus while wearing heels and the only time I have fallen over is when some idiot left water on the floor at work and I slipped over.:(
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The daft thing is, office clothes does not automatically mean smart. We have some right scruffs in here, me included. I wear long sleeve teeshirts from george at asda with crappy trousers from sainsbo. I have biker boots on under them today as my heeled shoes died about two months ago and I CBA buying anymore. I resent spending money on clothes I dont feel comfortable in and i hate officewear so I will spend as little as I need to.

Plus I think office wear is from a bygone era, and should be left for meetings and customer facing individuals. If you are sat at a desk all day or out on site whats the harm in wearing smart casual / jeans etc?

Same. I wear a variety of black t shirt tops (v necks, with or without sleeves) solid black loose stretchy trousers and a variety of nice long cardigans. My shoes are flat and sensible as you can get. It's like a uniform to me, just a bit easier and more practical than a man's suit.

I can't be arsed and I can't bear to be uncomfortable. I sometimes look at the other women and just boggle at the effort and the obvious discomfort they appear to be in. Jackets drive me mad, and I only ever wear ones that are too large, and I put them on in place of the cardy if I absolutely have to.

Life's too short.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same. I wear a variety of black t shirt tops (v necks, with or without sleeves) solid black loose stretchy trousers and a variety of nice long cardigans. My shoes are flat and sensible as you can get. It's like a uniform to me, just a bit easier and more practical than a man's suit.

I can't be arsed and I can't bear to be uncomfortable. I sometimes look at the other women and just boggle at the effort and the obvious discomfort they appear to be in. Jackets drive me mad, and I only ever wear ones that are too large, and I put them on in place of the cardy if I absolutely have to.

Life's too short.

Yeah I cant be arsed putting makeup on everyday (I wear none at work) or styling my hair (it is washed in the shower, dried naturally in the car and tied in a ponytail when i get to work)

Id rather have the extra time in bed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I like how you manage to speak for everyone.

Before I worked where I worked now, I worked in retail and had to wear a uniform, and had no problem with that at all.

Women in my office do care, and it's pathetic. Many a time I have overheard not-so-quiet conversations between colleagues, poking fun at another colleague for wearing the same blouse two days in a row, or more than once in the same week. Or for wearing the same trousers/skirt. Believe it or not, there are some very vain people in the world.

I'd like to point out that I myself don't actually care. The trousers I'm wearing today, I wore yesterday. If memory serves me correctly, the jumper I'm wearing I also wore on Monday.

Apologies - I was speaking only from the from the male perspective. I'm utterly baffled that anyone would be so shallow as to actually care about the colour of a colleague's blouse, and how often that colour was worn...:D