Drive like a girl?

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
Forum Member
Just heard an advertisement for a box that fits in your car and records your journey and after 3 months you get cheaper car insurance.

But the advert stated it was for women only. I thought we had scrapped insurance inequality - so how come this is being advertised?

Comments

• swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That advertisement is so annoying, "DRIVE! DRIVE! Drive like a girl!"

It's not only for girls, it's for anyone who "drives like a girl".
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Oh I hate that bloody advert! It's so shrill and loud for no reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way that ad can be legal, if so it won't be on for much longer.

I drive like Fernando Alonso and also have a vagina :)
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Best empty one of those teddy-grabbing machines and fill up my parcel shelf then.
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a car insurance advert that really drives me mad where there's a girl driving a green car where she has to swerve suddenly to avoid something falling off the back of a pick-up truck which then hits a car behind her. It then goes on about how they reward careful drivers. Drives me mad because anyone driving that close to a badly loaded pick-up truck is certainly not a "careful driver".
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    It's Sheila's Wheels all over again! Checked the (pink) website and at the bottom it does say boys too but not in the radio ad at all.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    What insurance company is it?
    Forum Member
    What insurance company is it?

Drive like a girl - that's the name
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah and I bet if you have an accident and were driving at 30.50 MPH your insurance would be null and void
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, that. Can't stand it.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Drive like a girl - that's the name

Ah, I thought it was the slogan.

Just had a look on the website myself, I thought this bit was interesting.
    We know young women are safer drivers than young men.
    And we're giving you the chance to prove it.
    Your premium is based on how you drive - our telematics box puts you in control.
    Drive like a girl’ - even if you are a boy - and you will get a discount after the first 3 months and could save even more at renewal.

That last sentence strikes me as backtracking on the first.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah and I bet if you have an accident and were driving at 30.50 MPH your insurance would be null and void

And lots of other catches, to hike the original seemingly bargain price up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-2562216/Speeding-fines-insurer-black-box-car-cover.html
    (Sorry about the Dail Heil link)
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be called Drive Like An Old Man. I have just been stuck behind someone wearing a trilby hat who looked extremely old and frail doing about 20mph in a 30mph zone.
    Forum Member
    'even if you are a boy' makes it sound like some sort of impediment or defect. The advert had the chance to be good - like make it an open competition to see who the safest drivers are and enter them into a prize draw or something.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be called Drive Like An Old Man. I have just been stuck behind someone wearing a trilby hat who looked extremely old and frail doing about 20mph in a 30mph zone.

If you were stuck behind him how could you see how old he was?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »

When you overtake 'em?
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I overtook him and glared at him while doing so. He reminded me of Mr Maggoo.
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you raise your fist comedy style and growl at him. I think I would have :D
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you overtake 'em?

You shouldn't be turning round to glare at people when overtaking, You should be concentrating on what is in front of you.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thing is with any such black box monitoring u, it supposed to reward carefull drivers. this means it monitors stuff like harsh braking etc. so 2 days ago when a bloke in a fiesta pulled out in front of me, forcing me to do an emergency stop....would the box mark me down for this? the computer in the box wont know which times r genuine will it.
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't be turning round to glare at people when overtaking, You should be concentrating on what is in front of you.

Are you a driving instructor or maybe one of those people who pass the tests at the center maybe?
  • Phaz0rPhaz0r Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly women are more likely to stick to safe driving habits even after they get the cheaper insurance. Although I'm a guy I have to say most of the real boogaloo crackhead rally drivers that I've seen have been men.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you overtake 'em?

Do you find blokes get so p****d off when they get over taken by a girl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sings that Weird Al Parody*

She drives like crazy
    (ooh, ooh)
    Like no one else
    (ooh, ooh)
    She drives like crazy
    And I'm afraid for myself...

(I still hate that company!)
  • bigtunesbigtunes Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    thing is with any such black box monitoring u, it supposed to reward carefull drivers. this means it monitors stuff like harsh braking etc. so 2 days ago when a bloke in a fiesta pulled out in front of me, forcing me to do an emergency stop....would the box mark me down for this? the computer in the box wont know which times r genuine will it.

Hopefully the box (or more likely the computer it feeds its data to) will be able to tell the difference between an unusual event and your normal driving style.

So if you're constantly screaming away from a halt, then braking sharply at the next obstacle you'd get marked down. If you drive 'normally' it would pick up the one off event and discount it.