Options

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, Series Three-starts Sat 1st March

Comments

• Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "A charlatan indulging in some sort of elitist prank."

Really enjoyed that. Great to have him back and laughed a lot. Chris Morris interview worked well and it was very well structured. The Shilbottle/Crapstone bit and the whole 'telephone conservation' was great, especially the Shilbottle sign's influence on his stand up.

Will rematch tomorrow on an actual television!

BTW, maybe Lee Mack's brother is called Geoff? :o

Mind, I like Lee Mack. As does Stewart, clearly. :)
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    The comedian Stewart Lee has buried dead Bill Hicks in the Guardian today, saying his first 2 albums have dated badly; the Shane metaphor appears to be the only bit of Hicks work Lee likes! :o:D

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/01/goddamned-appreciation-late-lamented-bill-hicks?CMP=fb_gu

Have to say these aren't the biggest reasons I dislike Hicks, but he covers a few.
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Not happy with Lee Mack eh. Because he pointed out that the pompous little chap couldn't hack it on a panel show.

Commentary: Yes truly the metier of the aspiring light entertainment performer.

Prediction: You will need to look up the meaning of the word metier.

Conclusion: I am 'a pompous little chap' and you will go back to watching Top Gear.

Addendum: Can Stew really be described as 'little' when so many of his critics regard him as 'fat'?
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    Because panel shows are the height of unscripted, improvised, off the cuff wit?
    (Aside: they're not, they all work out their jokes and ripostes in advance of the recording ;) )

I love how Stew brings out the hackles of some people.
    Personally I don't tend to want too much from my comedy.
    It's pretty basic for me as a comedy fan: do I laugh? Yes, I like it.
    Am I not laughing? Fine, not for me.

Although my tastes tend not to be for many comedians that are into the mainstream (mainstream comedy seems more about making money off DVD sales and panels shows are just the agreed style of the moment to get the pre-selected "names" out there regardless of actual humour or talent, it seems), anything should be given a go once, if liked should be enjoyed and if not enjoyed, time should not be wasted trying to take down the people who do like it a peg or two for whatever spurious reason.

The more you try to analyse comedy, the less funny it becomes.

Great opening episode tonight, loved the line about twitter (even if I'm one of the most enthusiastic volunteers of the state surveillance program :D )

Ted Maul has let himself go though!

(Chris Morris was an amazing surprise, I just assumed it'd be Armando again. Brilliant, the show gets better and better ;) )

armando was busy in the states doing veep
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Not as funny as Shitbottle though.
    Near me is a 'Lunt Avenue' with a whited out horizontal line across the top of the 'L'.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was military-grade comic genius right there. I don't tend to actually laugh out loud when I'm on my own (which is a weird thing, I guess) but I barely managed to stop to draw breath in the last ten minutes or so of that. He just keeps getting better.
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    thank god we have stewart lee
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good.
    Really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it as well.
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gashery of the first water. I laughed twice.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    Gashery of the first water. I laughed twice.

I'm sort of sad the Baconface idea- where in he wore a Mexican wrestling mask covered in bacon to appear as the "cult 1980s Canadian standup"- appears to have been abandoned as that would have gone to silence from 99% of people. :D

https://soundcloud.com/britishcomedyguide/richard-herring-edinburgh-podcast-2013-24 (from 32.25 in)
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    The comedian Stewart Lee has buried dead Bill Hicks in the Guardian today, saying his first 2 albums have dated badly; the Shane metaphor appears to be the only bit of Hicks work Lee likes! :o:D

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/01/goddamned-appreciation-late-lamented-bill-hicks?CMP=fb_gu

Well, someone has finally come out and said it, eh.

Some home truths on Richard Prior next please.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    That was military-grade comic genius right there. I don't tend to actually laugh out loud when I'm on my own (which is a weird thing, I guess) but I barely managed to stop to draw breath in the last ten minutes or so of that. He just keeps getting better.

The telephone call bit...he actually told a joke without physically saying anything. He just let the audience construct it themselves, and it worked.
    He's said stuff before about doing that, saying that if the audience didn't enjoy it, they only have themselves to blame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    The telephone call bit...he actually told a joke without physically saying anything. He just let the audience construct it themselves, and it worked.
    He's said stuff before about doing that, saying that if the audience didn't enjoy it, they only have themselves to blame.

Yeah, brilliant stuff. You could just imagine the lines like "What's to stop me ringing up 3 times and ordering one ton of manure?" and "Well, I'll get my friends to ring you." :D

Am awaiting the ratings by lurking on the ratings thread, but nothing as yet. Hope it did okay, but it's nice to know a fourth series has already been commissioned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stewart Lee was actually talking about the Lee Mack thing on BBC Radio 4 the other day. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03w0j4j - he starts one minute in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadySponge wrote: »
    Stewart Lee was actually talking about the Lee Mack thing on BBC Radio 4 the other day. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03w0j4j - he starts one minute in.

Thanks for the link. Highly recommended if you think Stewart is a smug and arrogant git based on his stand up persona.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just noticed this thread and watching on iplayer now - still love this guy even though he probably hates me.
  • Options
    Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Agree 100%.
    Lee shows how tired and lazy most other comedy is these days.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pure genius. I can see why people despise him but we can't all appreciate cerebral comedy now can we?
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hatred for Lee reminds me of that for Chris Morris. They always do shows that the common folk see as smart arse.

Just not a mainstream comedian, hence the low audience figures. I can imagine my mum despising him. She loves Lee Mack though. Tells you everything you need to know really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in case anyone's interested, a kind FM let me know that the overnights were 920k, so should consolidate to over a Million. (no one replied on the Ratings thread cos they're too busy arguing about The Voice and Ant n Dec. Fair enough.) And any fellow Welshos out there who don't do I player, first episode is on BBC2 Wales at 10pm on Tuesday.

Everyone in Wales love Rich and Stew, FACT, so that should raise the figures. ;-)

Lovely to know a fourth series is garunteed whatever.
  • Options
    Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed. Some of the phone conversation stuff was mind blowing. Loved the way it was all constructed as much by facial expression just as much as talking.

Near the end, I noticed that I was laughing so much I had tears streaming down my face. That's the sort of thing that only happens when I am watching the likes of Blackadder, Partridge or Curb... or maybe comedians such as Pryor or Rock. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic stuff last night, very funny! :D As others have said, the fake phone conversation in the last 10 minutes was a masterful bit of stand-up - some of the best stuff I've ever seen from him.

I'm interested to see whether that quote from Lee Mack about Stewart Lee is actually true. It's unintentionally hilarious if so.

As expected, the interviews with Chris Morris were great. They produced some hilarious exchanges too.

Stewart: "It's very easy to use words and logic to make someone look like they're selfish, simply because they've expressed a position that could be interpreted as that."

Chris: "That's what Julian Assange says." :D
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man , does he like embarrassing pauses, probably pinched that from Hicks too.

What a wearisome windbag he is, he makes Herring look good.

He tells a naff Michael McIntyre type joke then spends 5 minutes deconstructing it, telling us why the joke is inherently unfunny, [ although we laughed at it ] why such humour is alien to him and his huge intellect, and that we are a bunch of complete c**** for finding it so.
    Does he wonder why no Panel Show will have him on ? because he can't ad lib for a start, nor has he a personality , a bad combination for a TV funnyman.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a wearisome windbag he is

Ahem. From the person who tries to inject his own special brand of wit into every comment they make, that's just a little too pot, kettle, black.