Forum Member
    Is It for lent?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    It ain't easy is it?! :(

As people advised on your other threads on the subject, have you tried going back to your GP and trying another AA meeting? I know you dislike the link with religion but people do manage to engage with the steps as atheists too. Or there are other groups out there.
    mizhog wrote: »
    Why not just drink less?

I do miss the roll eyes emoticon on occasion.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you doing it for medical/health reasons?

If yes, you should be able to get some help via your GP

ETA: Just seen other reply above.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Are you doing it for medical/health reasons?

If yes, you should be able to get some help via your GP

ETA: Just seen other reply above.

The OP is an alcoholic. Here is a recent thread.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1930245&highlight=
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    The OP is an alcoholic. Here is a recent thread.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1930245&highlight=
    Thanks - lots of good advice there so difficult to see what we can add?

I wonder if there's a forum out there for people struggling in this way?

If there isn't, there should be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »
    Thanks - lots of good advice there so difficult to see what we can add?

I wonder if there's a forum out there for people struggling in this way?

If there isn't, there should be.

There is - and I can really recommend it.

http://www.brighteyecounselling.co.uk/alcoholic-forum/

OP - do take a look - it's a really supportive and informed community. Non-judgemental, no religious guff (sorry ;) ), and overseen by a counselling organisation with loads of free resources.

Good luck - it is hard. You just have to find the right support that works for you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just throwing it out there as an example of how many possibilities there are.

Retreats. From the expensive rehab type which work on addiction directly, to the free ones that can offer a break from normal routine - they're an option.

I think many people would benefit from the break from routine as a step in changing behaviours, but find the cost prohibitive. Things like Vipassana meditation retreats can be a good option. Bit heavy on the Buddhism for some maybe, but they are donation based (if you can't pay you don't pay), and can work for some people.

Just one example. Basically, don't give up hope - there's lots of things that might work for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Retreats. From the expensive rehab type which work on addiction directly, to the free ones that can offer a break from normal routine - they're an option.

I have thought about them. How do i find them? i searched online not much came up really :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can relate to your struggle OP.

I was in a very black hole with booze for a long time. It took a pretty unconventional approach for me too see how shit a drug alcohol is, but it worked. I still have a few drinks maybe twice a year.

If one wants a "high" there are much better things than booze tbh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »
    It took a pretty unconventional approach for me too see how shit a drug alcohol is, but it worked.

What was that if you don't mind my asking?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was that if you don't mind my asking?

This. It's not exactly for everyone, but seemed to be a popular approach in the 60s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have thought about them. How do i find them? i searched online not much came up really :confused:

http://calm.dhamma-eu.org/schedules/eu/dipa/schdipa.htm

The course locations and info are here for Vipassana - it's a Buddhist retreat and focuses on meditation. It's pretty hardcore :) But if you are someone who doesn't gel with rehab or is scared of that path, but wants a break from routine, it may be an option that works for oyu.

It's a clean stay - veggie meals are provided. No drugs or any kind allowed - cigs, booze, nothing.

That's only an example of an option if you don't have funds available. There are also some places that offer alcohol rehab for free if you are really in crisis and they have room available. Get on the forum I suggested - there's lots of information about little publicised places.

One thing I would add that I spotted on your other thread, is please please please read up about withdrawing safely before attempting it. Ideally anyone with a strong dependency would go their GP, but not everyone feels that they can. There's lots of info about supplements you really should take, and methods you should use, if you are going to withdraw on your own.

Keep reading about it even if you continue drinking - the more knowledge you have and options you're aware of the more likely you'll succeed. :)
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was drinking too much, i volunteered to go to the abuse thing... it was quite good.

i can now drink less fairly easily.

i drink red wine, i have it with my evening meal and can down a bottle pretty quickly.

but i started not drinking until the middle of my meal, then later in the meal, i also use a small wine glass now as those 250ml goblet types make it easy to gulp the stuff instead of savouring it.

i cut my alcohol intake by about a third, from c60 units a week, to c40.

im not too bothered about 40.... im allowed 28, and you know that figures actually low because they know youll exceed it by abit.