Options

Microwave

BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
Forum Member
I have never owned a microwave ....................anyone else out there?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    What sort of drunken tomfoolery do you do with your cat then?
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I'm on my third if I'm not mistaken...but I've never owned a dishwasher.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    I own a microwave...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My sons friends can't believe we have not got a microwave
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borefest wrote: »

i know a couple of families who have never owned a Microwave, I admit I did go without one for about 3 years. the one I got now, I only use for porridge.

i have never owned a dishwasher and not really bothered in getting one either/.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    I'm on my third if I'm not mistaken...but I've never owned a dishwasher.

I do have a dishwasher
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got rid of mine last year as I hardly ever used it
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have two, one in the kitchen and one in the man-cave for easy access to snacks.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Essential for buns, scones, muffins, baps or bread rolls that are slightly past their prime. 10 seconds or so on high and they're almost like freshly baked.

Also more economical for a single cuppa.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be careful making a cuppa in a microwave, Google 'superheated water in a microwave'

We've got one but its rarely used but carrots cook well in them and retain their full flavour as does fish.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    We've got one but its rarely used but carrots cook well in them and retain their full flavour as does fish.
    please tell me how !!!!
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a microwave because it's quite handy as i can cook giant batches of food at a lesser cost and heat them up again.

although my homemade soup has this weird property where the water melts out of the soup and leaves a gelatinous lump of ingredients.

give it a stir and it's tasty though :)
  • Options
    MookyboyMookyboy Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

I'd like to hear about this as well :)
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I got my first one as a wedding present 27 years ago when they cost about £700! :o:D
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like one, possibly, but am not sure of what the advantages are of possessing such a contraption.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I would like one, possibly, but am not sure of what the advantages are of possessing such a contraption.

Boiling small amounts of water quickly with far less energy used than a kettle (great when cooking, for sauces etc).

Rejuvenating breads. Making melted cheese baps, or quickly melting the cheese in a toasted sandwich (no waiting for the grill). Heating slices of pie.

Reheating that cuppa that went cold because you got distracted watching cheese melt in the microwave.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    Boiling small amounts of water quickly with far less energy used than a kettle (great when cooking, for sauces etc).

Rejuvenating breads. Making melted cheese baps, or quickly melting the cheese in a toasted sandwich (no waiting for the grill). Heating slices of pie.

Reheating that cuppa that went cold because you got distracted watching cheese melt in the microwave.

Sounds good - I just need to clear a space for it.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cakes in mugs too.

http://i.imgur.com/ToE10rF.jpg
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use it every day. Softening butter the main use. Also only cook rice in it. Perfect.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a microwave (my fourth) and a dishwasher. I am very fortunate! :D

I thought most people had these things, especially a microwave. I have never heated up tea or coffee in one though - just make a fresh cuppa by boiling up the kettle with a small amount of water. Nothing worse than a reheated cuppa.

Also it is the best way to cook rice - perfect every time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Essential for buns, scones, muffins, baps or bread rolls that are slightly past their prime. 10 seconds or so on high and they're almost like freshly baked.

Also more economical for a single cuppa.

Better to get a kettle that can make a single cup,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    I have a microwave (my fourth) and a dishwasher. I am very fortunate! :D

I thought most people had these things, especially a microwave. I have never heated up tea or coffee in one though - just make a fresh cuppa by boiling up the kettle with a small amount of water. Nothing worse than a reheated cuppa.

Also it is the best way to cook rice - perfect every time.

I have black coffee, so reheating is not so bad.

TBH, the things scares the hell out of me. My old one went pop, started to smoke and burst into flames. thankfully it did not come to much and they died out pretty quick.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Borefest wrote: »

Aliens?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Have had microwave ovens since they first came out and the current one is a combi, I couldn't do without one now, same with a dishwasher.