Options

Salamander-BBC4 Pace - Belgium Crime thriller

Comments

• Options
    Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but how the hell did he get up, run away, hop into a car and drive to the bank?

Is he some kind of mutant that can heal?

Not only get up, even though he had lost much blood judigng by the stain on the floor, put on an overcoat, got in a car and drove away without Gerardi or Klaus even noticing and seemed to be at the Johkere place about 10 minutes later, and this is a man who must surely be in his late seventies. It took Gerardi and his pal about 5 minutes to get there - the place must have been incredibly close to where dewulf lived.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonkhere was right. DeWulf's problem was with his father, not with him. That comment seemed to make the whole series completely redundant lol.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jonkhere was right. DeWulf's problem was with his father, not with him. That comment seemed to make the whole series completely redundant lol.

But Jonkhere was carrying on his father's work with Salamander which he wouldn't have been able to do if Jonkhere Snr hadn't nicked the money meant for the Resistance and killed DeWulf Snr which in DeWulf Jnr's eyes made him just as guilty
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, Salamander wasn't up to the standard of previous Scandi dramas but was highly watchable if a little daft at times. It was probably the best thing on Saturday night TV for the last few weeks.

I actually found the conclusion quite satisfying.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but how the hell did he get up, run away, hop into a car and drive to the bank?

Is he some kind of mutant that can heal?

.....and with a hole in his back, he even managed to put his coat on.:cool:
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it right up to the moment I saw Vincent in a white suit - then I laughed out loud.
    That was a bit of a let down. Unfortunately, the ending simply fizzled out for me, especially when they introduced the bent cop at the end.
    The build up over the weeks was brilliant. I especially liked the back stories.
  • Options
    Mel O'DramaMel O'Drama Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Salamander showed me one thing, I much prefer Scandinavian style to Flemish.

All those dark interiors, bad clothes and hairstyles, and no gorgeous coffee pots, light fittings and minimalist homes to admire and covet.

Not that I am shallow or anything ....
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,088
    Forum Member
    Just watched the first two episodes I downloaded on my phone and I'm enjoying it so far. Trying not to read everything on here :D I think it's still a good drama for Saturday nights even if it's not like The Bridge or TK, but I'm just glad we're getting to see shows from different countries and cultures. I'm still waiting for Dagvaktin!
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    overnights:

e11: 884k (4.39%)
    e12: 799k (4.32%)

Overnight series average...

e1 1030
    e2 928
    e3 801
    e4 689
    e5 763
    e6 670
    e7 852
    e8 797
    e9 852
    e10 785
    e11 884
    e12 799
    average 821k

K
  • Options
    Jim_SJim_S Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    don't know if I'll bother with the next BBC4 drama Inspector De Luca

next foreign series for me will probably be Mammon which is starting Friday 28th March at 9pm on More 4. Hopefully Fox will show Braquo S3 in April so I can watch it as well
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So good I fell asleep watching the recording last night. Never mind, it just was too unconvincing or poorly scripted and seemed like an amateur night in your local theatre, but with the promise that it will get better. Sadly not!
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, although I still don't know how they managed to drag it out over twelve episodes though!
  • Options
    AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Channel 4 will show Fabrice Goberts Lights Out after the The Returned Was huge last summer.

I seen the first two episodes of Salmander and it was kid of slow pace,and hard to flow unlike the more face pace darker Sandi dramas.Plus there was not must of likeable character like you see in The Bridge or Wallander and Killing,And you don't know half of the time if there talking Felmish/Dutch or pure French.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Help! I've recently become addicted to subtitled Nordic Noir. Damn that Saga Noren and the Bridge. Anyway found Salamander on iPlayer Friday evening and up to episode 5 already. Very enjoyable and should keep me satisfied till I get to borrow a boxset of The Killing series 1 later this week... jah!.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Help! I've recently become addicted to subtitled Nordic Noir. Damn that Saga Noren and the Bridge. Anyway found Salamander on iPlayer Friday evening and up to episode 5 already. Very enjoyable and should keep me satisfied till I get to borrow a boxset of The Killing series 1 later this week... jah!.

I too have watched the first 5 episodes this weekend after someone recommended it to me. Its fascinating and very easy to follow, prefer it to the Killing and Borgen. Got to watch the final 7 eps before it disappears from iPlayer next weekend.:kitty:
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ending didn't provide any surprises. In many ways it felt like it was hurriedly going through the motions and stretching plausibility beyond breaking point. As if Jonkhere would meet DeWulf without backup. As if a man shot in the chest could drive all the way to Brussels and confront someone in that way - unaffected by severe blood loss. As if Gerardi could take out Klaus, and that's before we get to newbie Vincent Noel heading up Salamander lol, the bent cop getting an 'in' and 'salamander' itself not having the savvy to lie low for a very long time? Btw - what happened to all the files? Still, Geradi, Patricia and their lovely daughters had their happy ending. :D
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    The final episode was so cliche ridden it was a disappointment.

I wonder what the final scene leaves in the way of sequel possibility or whether it would just be another political investigation by Gerardi.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it.

The ending was a bit disappointing, but I still watched the conspiracy unfold with great interest. :)

I really thank God for BBC4.

An oasis of quality in a sea of dross. It's documentaries are excellent and Euro-drama first started for me with Spiral and The Killing and continued with Inspector Montalbano, Borgen, The Bridge, Wallander etc.

I notice other channels are starting to pick up other series - Mammon being the latest.

And I still have a box-set of the first two series of Braquo to look forward to as well! :D
  • Options
    Pierced MusiePierced Musie Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed it right up to the moment I saw Vincent in a white suit - then I laughed out loud.

I have to admit that it left me crying with laughter. In fact every suit that man wore was just hilarious so for me he was a bit of a comedy character to balance out the darkness of the others:D.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually quite enjoyed the final episode - at least it actually ended the story (too many series these days think that being open/ambiguous means they're being "deep"), and seeing Paul with a shave and a decent haircut in the final scene, teaming up with Bald-Bearded-Guy to take down Salamander genuinely put a smile on my face.

Overall it was far too long (6 weeks would have been about right), and having the whole plot turn on 2 massive coincidences (Paul meeting Gil's daughter outside the school, then Klaus' utterly random murder victim being a regular attendee at the parties where Paul met Gil's daughter again) was ridiculous, but it was brisk enough, and I was happy to spend time with it... not entirely sure I'd be in the queue for a 2nd series though!
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another massive coincidence was the policemonk - Cassimon - happening to be on the deserted road, and close enough to the "accident", at the exact moment that the blanket covering the unblemished face of the dead police chief he knew slipped. But, I'm not sure if/how that affected the story, so no harm done.

We had lots of fun watching Salamander. Patricia's constant knockbacks from Gerardi. Vincent's unfeasibly deep chin cleft. The monastery for ex-cops and computer whizzes, where teenage schoolgirls in short uniforms just hang out. Google being a mystery except to said computer whizz. Belgian seduction techniques.

But I'm glad it had a happy ending. It would have been too easy to leave it as "the king is dead, long live the king"-type scenario, where Salamander and the corruption went on forever. So congrats to them for allowing us to feel justice was done.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    officials for e9/10

1 SALAMANDER (SAT 2100) 1,170
    2 SALAMANDER (SAT 2149) 1,136

K
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    Another massive coincidence was the policemonk - Cassimon - happening to be on the deserted road.
    Not really as the police commissionare was on his way to the monastry to see him.

Did people not watch the police raid on Salamander at the end? Not sure what they will charge them with but certainly the end for the group with no sequel.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Did people not watch the police raid on Salamander at the end? Not sure what they will charge them with...
    They'll get Vincent Noel for crimes against style and fashion with a side charge of gross abuse of hair product.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone notice that Vincent's white suit was also made of the same shiny vinyl - ette as his black one :D