Personal Tax allowance 2014/15

WestminsterflyeWestminsterflye Posts: 195
Forum Member
is going up by £560.
Which by my calculations will mean an extra £46 in monthly paypacket!
Hope it pans out, these things tend to be given in one hand and taken with the other!
Can anyone confirm?

Comments

• trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your calculation is wrong, it'll be about £9.
  • WestminsterflyeWestminsterflye Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    yep its just the salary percentage amount of the increased allowance! doh;-)
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it would be that much of an increase. Last year I got a 1.5% increase on £18k salary, coupled in with the tax changes even then it only equated to around £30 more each month.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    is going up by £560.
    Hope it pans out, these things tend to be given in one hand and taken with the other!
    Can anyone confirm?

Indeed.

Once again, the threshold for when the 40% rate applies has fallen, this time from £32,011 to £31,866.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed.

Once again, the threshold for when the 40% rate applies has fallen, this time from £32,011 to £31,866.

The (very slightly) good news being that it's £31,866 of taxable income until your income gets into six figure (as I discovered when HMRC mistakenly forecast my income for this year at that kind of level). Flippin' Tories, bashing the rich again! (Irony intended).
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    The (very slightly) good news being that it's £31,866 of taxable income..............

Unfortunately for the over 65s, their personal tax allowance is frozen, while the tax allowance they actually get is reduced every year because of rises in retirement pension.

Coupled with rises to my occupational pension, it won't be long before I'm paying higher rate tax on my pensions!

Regarding the OP's question, the tax allowance is the amount of income which is free of tax. Hence the money saved is the tax which would have been pain on that slice of income.

For basic rate payers, that's 20% of £560, or £112 a year. As trphil said, just over £9 a month.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is going up by £560.
    Can anyone confirm?

I wish you were my accountant.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You've also got to be aware of 'announcement inflation'

The headline might be 'personal allowance goes up to 10.5K' or '2k for everyone with kid'.............but these are announcements of something that might happen in 2 or 3 years if things don't change

The Chancellor gets the good headlines now but it doesn't cost anything for a few years, when he might be gone anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is going up by £560.
    Can anyone confirm?

The allowance of what you can earn tax free is increasing by £560. You will not get £560 extra in your pay. Assuming you are not affected by changes to the higher rate threshold, your tax liability will reduce by 20% of the £560. So you will have an extra £112 in your take-home pay over the year. This equates to £9.33 per month (as another poster said).

Sorry!