Options

Only fools and Horses - overrated ?

Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now I will probably get shot for even suggesting this , but am I the only person here who think the show was always very overrated . Obviously I'm not counting last nights episode which was dire , I just think even in its heyday it was never that funny. Sure there were funny scenes (the chandelier ) . But for the most part I always found the humour rather forced .
I think there were programmes around that time that were consistently better such as Fawlty Towers , black adder , hell even One Foot in the Grave was funnier I think. Anyway just my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not over rated at all. It grew over the years, and the characters, and the characters developed too. In such a long running series, there were bound to be some episodes not as good, but the standard over such a long time was remarkable.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Now I will probably get shot for even suggesting this , but am I the only person here who think the show was always very overrated . Obviously I'm not counting last nights episode which was dire , I just think even in its heyday it was never that funny. Sure there were funny scenes (the chandelier ) . But for the most part I always found the humour rather forced .
    I think there were programmes around that time that were consistently better such as Fawlty Towers , black adder , hell even One Foot in the Grave was funnier I think. Anyway just my opinion.

I agree with you. There are some very funny moments and some poignant ones but, on the whole, I found it over rated, to be honest. Humour is SO subjective.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you. There are some very funny moments and some poignant ones but, on the whole, I found it over rated, to be honest. Humour is SO subjective.
    I'm not saying its awful (clearly it wasn't) but to me it was overrated . And I think it's a shame Fawlty towers only had 12 episodes if it had gone on for longer , I think it could have taken Ofah crown.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member

I agree humour is so subjective, i personally feel Only Fools and Horses is brilliant and like Deep Purple said it's Characters grew over the years, however my Sister groans whenever it comes on as she thinks it is overrated and forced. I suppose it all depends on taste.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member

Why did you watch it then? And who is rating it?
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    It was VERY over rated. I watched the first few seasons of it in the eighties until just after grandad was replaced by uncle albert but I felt it had become formulated and lost its way soon after, so stopped watching. I used to avoid it when it came on after that.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it was over-rated and I also don't think last night's episode was dire!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ya know i used to watch it all the time but once you see something so many times you get fed up of it. I also think its a bit hit and miss as some of the episodes are very good but others are not funny at all. Try watching 'Slow bus to chingford' or 'The russians are coming' or numerous other episodes. Unfunny and boring. Some of the episodes in series 7 are more like a drama than a comedy. Episodes like the one where Slater is revealed to be Raquel's ex husband, very low on laughs.
    even One Foot in the Grave was funnier I think.

I think One Foot In The Grave was way superior to Only Fools & Horses
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I agree with the OP. I don't like it at all. Not sure why because I like other classic comedies like Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, etc but not OFAH (or Dad's Army either - another 'classic').

Hi de Hi, Allo Allo are other comedies of that time that I hated too. Not sure exactly why - it felt kind of obvious or one-note or something. I guess it's just a question of everyone having different tastes. I hate Mrs Brown's Boys too. I loved the IT Crowd and Black Books. I even liked Roman's Empire. With those kind of shows it's either love or hate with me.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Why did you watch it then? And who is rating it?

He said that he thought it was overrated. He didn't say that he didn't like it.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was OK and easy to watch, but I never really loved it. Some funny moments, like the satellite dish episode, but in the main I found it amusing rather than hilarious.

David Jason was better with Ronnie Barker in Open All Hours too.
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    It was a great show, but last night was just not funny at all.
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely over rated for me............didn't mind it but didn't mind missing it either.......hated Rodney's whining voice and didn't find his character realistic.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this thread a mile off, can't you just get over it? you don't like it much aww shame.
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It went through phases. Started off slowly, then built up to its prime...then fell away badly towards the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I think the earlier episodes were a bit overrated as i watched some of them after the later ones which i found funny.
    Some of the early episodes i barely laughed at all.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nope, not overrated at all. probably the best sitcom of all time for me
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was overrated at all, but it did tail off a bit towards the end. It wasn't the same once Cassandra and Raquel were introduced and Del and Rodney basically had to grow up. It did lose its edge after that.

The writing and the casting were superb though.

I agree that it did begin to resemble a comedy drama rather than sitcom, but many of the characters were so well loved that it still kind of worked.

I've never rated Fawlty Towers at all though, so it really is subjective.

For genuine laugh out loud moments I'd day Blackadder is probably the funniest sitcom ever made.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Only Fools and Horses is deserving of its reputation.

I do think the falling through the bar clip is overrated though. It's amusing, yes but I don't think it represents the peak of Only Fools or anything like that.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I don't think it was overrated at all, but it did tail off a bit towards the end. It wasn't the same once Cassandra and Raquel were introduced and Del and Rodney basically had to grow up. It did lose its edge after that.

The writing and the casting were superb though.

I agree that it did begin to resemble a comedy drama rather than sitcom, but many of the characters were so well loved that it still kind of worked.

I've never rated Fawlty Towers at all though, so it really is subjective.

For genuine laugh out loud moments I'd day Blackadder is probably the funniest sitcom ever made.
    Totally agree. Only Fools should have ended in 1996. That's when they reached the end.
    Fawlty Towers I don't like as much. Cleese is far too shouty for me. Only episode I really like is the one with the rat.
    Blackadder I love. Especially the 4th one.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Blackadder II for me, followed by Father Ted. Both shows would have me crying with laughter at times.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the same brand of broad stereotype comedy we now see in Mrs Brown's Boys.

The main character gets involved in some sort of hair-brained scheme which will go hilariously awry.
    The stupid character says and/or does something stupid.
    The middle class snob character says and/or does something nasty.
    The henpecked character tells us he's henpecked.
    The henpecked character's wife then appears to do some henpecking.
    The old character says/does something to remind us he's really old.
    The sensible female character rolls her eyes at all the madcap antics.

Repeated ad nauseum.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    He said that he thought it was overrated. He didn't say that he didn't like it.

He also said "it was not that funny" and "the humour was rather forced".

Still, if you think that means he likes it or if those are the key criteria for liking a sitcom then I won't argue.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to enjoy watching the shorter episodes back in the day, but I cannot get away with it now. I just don't find the characters or situations very funny. That's true of a lot of old programmes that I used to watch, though.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the same brand of broad stereotype comedy we now see in Mrs Brown's Boys.

The main character gets involved in some sort of hair-brained scheme which will go hilariously awry.
    The stupid character says and/or does something stupid.
    The middle class snob character says and/or does something nasty.
    The henpecked character tells us he's henpecked.
    The henpecked character's wife then appears to do some henpecking.
    The old character says/does something to remind us he's really old.
    The sensible female character rolls her eyes at all the madcap antics.

Repeated ad nauseum.
    That sounds like Last of the Summer Wine.:p