Happy Marriage For All Day!

Comments

• cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    It did feel good to wake up this morning knowing that society is a bit more equal now.

No not really as hetrosexual couples can not have civil partnerships, the inequality has just shifted.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    No not really as hetrosexual couples can not have civil partnerships, the inequality has just shifted.

If the aim is for all couples to be able to have marriages and civil partnerships then we're one step closer to that... I stand by my statement that society is more equal today than it was yesterday.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Light won over darkness its a beautiful day'
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

One aspect of inequality has remained.No aspect of inequality has been shifted.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I can only speak for myself, but they can dump CPs as soon as they like as they were never wanted in the first place. They were an insulting cop out.

Later in the year people in CPs can convert them to Marriages if they want to.

You speak of CPs like they are something gay people demanded and were excited about having. They were just a cop out because they refused to give us marriage.

Obviously, now that they have finally done the right thing, they are still left with the total mess that they created.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay I am not a supporter of Gay Marriage (religious views). But I have a question.

If I got married to a lady, we would more likely be Mr and Mrs Smith (often it seems the Male surname continues).

But these same sex weddings that are in place, are they adapting to one surname or keeping both? Just in case I do meet a newly wed couple, don't want to address them as Mr and Mr Smith, whne it is Mr Smith and Mr Jones.

The world is changing and I need to know the rules.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've a feeling that one will be resolved before this year is out. The government now either needs to phase CPs out or change their purpose to become more like the French PACS (a marriage-lite as it were), but before they change CPs at all they need to outline how same-sex couples currently in them can convert their union to a marriage should they wish to.
    Forum Member
    Okay I am not a supporter of Gay Marriage (religious views). But I have a question.

If I got married to a lady, we would more likely be Mr and Mrs Smith (often it seems the Male surname continues).

But these same sex weddings that are in place, are they adapting to one surname or keeping both? Just in case I do meet a newly wed couple, don't want to address them as Mr and Mr Smith, whne it is Mr Smith and Mr Jones.

Well that line sums it up nicely. There are certainly no laws that state a woman has to take the man's surname, so all it has been is a social convention. That can and has been changing and evolving all the time. There is a relatively new trend of 'commoners' bolting both names together and becoming double-barrelled surnames. (Neither partner wishing to give up their surname.) - Of course aristocracy has been doing that for years, but normal everyday people are doing that more and more.

So there are no laws and social rules can be adhered to, dropped or changed at will.

It really doesn't matter now what the set up is: Man and Woman, Woman and Woman, Man and Man, the couple talk about it and decide what name they wish to be known by.

It is also not very well known, that you can call yourself whatever you wish at any time and you are not breaking any law by doing so. It's just that for any legal reasons where you need to be identified they prefer that that name is registered somewhere. You do that but Deed Poll. That is just an official document that says from now on, I am calling myself John Smith. (For completeness: Of course if you are calling yourself something different for fraudulent reasons, then you are breaking the law, but the law of fraud, not that you have changed you name. You will have done so to try and commit fraud)

So in the end the couples decide what they will be known as and that includes straight couples as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is no requirement in an opposite sex marriage for the wife to take the husband's name. It's entirely optional.

One aspect of the current law that this brings up though is that currently there is no automatic way for a husband in an opposite sex marriage to take his wife's surname should they wish. It has to go through a Deed Poll arrangement. That's something that could do with being looked at, and it would probably also be the time when the situation regarding same-sex couples could be included.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's great to have something positive and uplifting to smile about :)
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are equal, nobody has the right to decide what is right or wrong as far as another person's sexuality is concerned. You are who you are, so lovely, about time.

They better not get their own parking space at the shops though.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I can only speak for myself, but they can dump CPs as soon as they like as they were never wanted in the first place. They were an insulting cop out.

Indeed. Nobody wanted the Nova SR if they could get the Nova GTE.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this on the news today.
    It's a start. It's a start.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best part about this for me is that I'm picturing homophobes all around the UK seeing this news and ranting in their livingrooms about how unfair and unethical it is. :D

BRILLIANT!!!! :D
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    The best part about this for me is that I'm picturing homophobes all around the UK seeing this news and ranting in their livingrooms about how unfair and unethical it is. :D

BRILLIANT!!!! :D

Even worse, it's a lovely sunny day in most parts of the country so they can't even claim biblical gloom and doom has happened as a result.

Their straw house is falling to bits!

Shame! :D
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    People are equal, nobody has the right to decide what is right or wrong as far as another person's sexuality is concerned. You are who you are, so lovely, about time.

They better not get their own parking space at the shops though.

There'll be hell tp pay if they get their own parking bays nearer the entrance :D

Someone help me out and tell me what LGBT stands for. I know it should be obvious...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member

Yeah, I don't want to be a Debbie-downer but this is unfair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member

I think much like heterosexuals, it's down to choice. I would keep my surname regardless of which gender I married, (i'm a girl), my friend who is engaged to another woman says she'll take her partners name as she'd always liked that idea when she's growing up. And my mum's friends are married and kept their own last names. Maybe just call them Mr and Mr Jones as it's acknowledging the marital tradition, then if you were mistaken they'd correct you, I'm sure very few people would be offended if they'd kept their own name.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last, the religious homophobes have been beaten. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There'll be hell tp pay if they get their own parking bays nearer the entrance :D

Someone help me out and tell me what LGBT stands for. I know it should be obvious...
    Lesbian
    Gay
    Bisexual
    Transgendered

And no special parking places please. We want valet service!! :p
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay!! Happy wedding days ahead for everyone, girls and girls, boys and boys.

Long live love.

Sexist. ;-)
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Lesbian
    Gay
    Bisexual
    Transgendered

And no special parking places please. We want valet service!! :p

Ha, it is obvious now you say it. Valet service indeed!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    It's one small step for man,one giant leap for mankind.Good on them.:cool:
    I still feel uncomfortable( and maybe even disgusted) when i see 2 men kissing though.:(

I think a lot of people do. Doesn't really bother me but my DH and Mum nearly sicked their Lunch up when kissing men came on tv today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I think a lot of people do. Doesn't really bother me but my DH and Mum nearly sicked their Lunch up when kissing men came on tv today.
    Haven't they ever watched a football match?
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone wanna marry me just for the craic