Pay by mobile number

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will anyone here be using this? Not sure if I will as I am normally a cash person. i can see where it could be useful, but more to go wrong.

Comments

• ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Will anyone here be using this? Not sure if I will as I am normally a cash person. i can see where it could be useful, but more to go wrong.

I can see this being useful. It will take the fuss out of exchanging bank details as most people already have your mobile number. This may also help people who don't know how to use their online banking portal to make transfers.
  • jammie82ukjammie82uk Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Been using this with natwest for quite a long while now find it very handy
    I use it when out with friends and we have a bar tab set up on a bank card we all just pay towards it at the end when we get the bill
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    This has been in testing for some time, colleagues have been using it since august last year. Anyone who has used PingIT from barclays will already have experience, its another convenient way for people to move money around. My only concern is what effect this will have over the longer term for bricks and mortor as well as those over the telephone.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

I use Pingit with Barclays all the time and it's great. Very handy indeed.

What can go wrong do you think?..:confused:
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    I've opted in. Used Pingit for a while now and it's pretty handy.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I use Pingit with Barclays all the time and it's great. Very handy indeed.

What can go wrong do you think?..:confused:

There are lots of things that can go wrong, just another layer to rely on. Banking systems do go down and it seems to be getting more regular. If I go out for a drink or meal and my friend order the meal/drinks, I normally pay her back in cash, because I know it is done and dusted.

As I said, I can see where it can be useful, but it is not for me.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    There are lots of things that can go wrong, just another layer to rely on. Banking systems do go down and it seems to be getting more regular. If I go out for a drink or meal and my friend order the meal/drinks, I normally pay her back in cash, because I know it is done and dusted.

No there isnt!

This is once again you just being completely paranoid and making things up to continue your fear of technology.

I've never ever had Barclays go down on me. The RBS did, but didn't affect me. Tell me, if you need cash and the bank go down, what do you do then? Didn't think of that did you?!
    As I said, I can see where it can be useful, but it is not for me.

Nothing ever is. Which begs the question as to why you started this thread.

Your paranoia with technology is astounding! Absolutely hilarious :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    No there isnt!

This is once again you just being completely paranoid and making things up to continue your fear of technology.

I've never ever had Barclays go down on me. The RBS did, but didn't affect me. Tell me, if you need cash and the bank go down, what do you do then? Didn't think of that did you?!

Nothing ever is. Which begs the question as to why you started this thread.

Your paranoia with technology is astounding! Absolutely hilarious :D

I don't understand where you think I am being paranoid. I got no fear of technology, i got a fear what people will do with it, mainly government, but technology itself I got no fear off.

Say you are going to have a cup of coffee, like i did with a mate this morning, go to pay for your coffee with your technology and it don't work, what do you do then? even worse, have a whole trolley of shopping in the supermarket. Sure I may not be able to take cash out if the banks system goes down, but then I will not look like a fool in the coffee bar or supermarket as I will know I got no money in the first place.

Banks do seem to have more problems lately than they used to, RBS may not have affected you or me for that matter, but it affected a lot of people. It is not just about banks going down, it is about the whole system that is used for paying.

Anyway, the reason I started this thread was just to see what people thought of it. I have got nothing against the service, but I don't think it is something I feel I have the need for.
    If you are one of these people that don't carry cash then maybe you feel the need for it, but I normally always got cash with me. but yes i can see where it could be useful.

Still no sign of Visa pay by phone service, 4 months into the new year and it was suppose to have been launched in December?
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the main problem with reliability is that too many people rely on one card. People are pretty safe as long as they have more than one card from different issuers (and preferably different networks). In places like supermarkets you don't need to worry anyway as they'll just process the transaction offline if there is a problem.
  • hongkongandyhongkongandy Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    PAYM is the way forward, starts towards the end of this month.............
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand where you think I am being paranoid. I got no fear of technology, i got a fear what people will do with it, mainly government, but technology itself I got no fear off.

Say you are going to have a cup of coffee, like i did with a mate this morning, go to pay for your coffee with your technology and it don't work, what do you do then? even worse, have a whole trolley of shopping in the supermarket. Sure I may not be able to take cash out if the banks system goes down, but then I will not look like a fool in the coffee bar or supermarket as I will know I got no money in the first place.

Banks do seem to have more problems lately than they used to, RBS may not have affected you or me for that matter, but it affected a lot of people. It is not just about banks going down, it is about the whole system that is used for paying.

Anyway, the reason I started this thread was just to see what people thought of it. I have got nothing against the service, but I don't think it is something I feel I have the need for.
    If you are one of these people that don't carry cash then maybe you feel the need for it, but I normally always got cash with me. but yes i can see where it could be useful.

Still no sign of Visa pay by phone service, 4 months into the new year and it was suppose to have been launched in December?

Read the highlighted bits and you'll see what Stiggles meant...or maybe you won't. You talk and have talked so often about your fears and hatreds of the likes of Google tracking you, the power of Microsoft and Apple, sharing data with companies online et al, the list could go on; so bearing this in mind can you not understand why many members may well see you (and have commented upon) your being a tad paranoid about technology and data sharing in general?

It may help you in the future if when you feel the urge to reply or start a thread you bookmark the thread/make note of the topic you want to start and then leave it for 24 hours and go back fresh and look again and see if you still feel the need to type and hit the enter key?

My wife is a clinical therapist and we were talking earlier today about the angst and anger so often seen on the internet these days (one of her students is doing an essay on the subject) and she recommends a 24 hour 'cool off' period before posting, ( I never mentioned you in anyway to her), just a general chat we had about the anonymity of the internet allowing people to use it as a 'safety valve' for their emotional problems. That said (and as she said) spouting off on a forum is better than kicking your dog or thumping someone and perhaps we should all be more lenient to what others post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the main problem with reliability is that too many people rely on one card. People are pretty safe as long as they have more than one card from different issuers (and preferably different networks). In places like supermarkets you don't need to worry anyway as they'll just process the transaction offline if there is a problem.

Lots of people only have one card, I don't have a credit only a debit card, so I have got one card.
    The problem is the time where you need something important is normally the time something goes belly up. Must admit the only time I have ever had a problem with my card is when I forgot my pin, but problems can and do happen.

You forget I work in a supermarket and a few times the card system have gone down and we was not able to take card payments. so your offline idea do not work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PAYM is the way forward, starts towards the end of this month.............

Is it the way forward? this payment system is only for paying friends or relatives. it will not be used for bushinesses and if it is long winded to use people will not use it as it will be quicker to pay by cash.

Just a quick edit, I may register for the service, if I will ever use it is another thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Read the highlighted bits and you'll see what Stiggles meant...or maybe you won't. You talk and have talked so often about your fears and hatreds of the likes of Google tracking you, the power of Microsoft and Apple, sharing data with companies online et al, the list could go on; so bearing this in mind can you not understand why many members may well see you (and have commented upon) your being a tad paranoid about technology and data sharing in general?

It may help you in the future if when you feel the urge to reply or start a thread you bookmark the thread/make note of the topic you want to start and then leave it for 24 hours and go back fresh and look again and see if you still feel the need to type and hit the enter key?

My wife is a clinical therapist and we were talking earlier today about the angst and anger so often seen on the internet these days (one of her students is doing an essay on the subject) and she recommends a 24 hour 'cool off' period before posting, ( I never mentioned you in anyway to her), just a general chat we had about the anonymity of the internet allowing people to use it as a 'safety valve' for their emotional problems. That said (and as she said) spouting off on a forum is better than kicking your dog or thumping someone and perhaps we should all be more lenient to what others post.

Not being rude, or maybe I am, but to be honest, I don't give a crap what your wife does or what she says.
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear God - what has happened here :confused:.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not being rude, or maybe I am, but to be honest, I don't give a crap what your wife does or what she says.

You should think on what I said, she has over three decades of experience...it may well help you given the tones of your posts. Feel free to PM me if you want a referral up near you, she has contacts up there and may be able to help you unless your happy with any local help you may now be getting.

All the best chap and I hope it all turns out well for you in the future and that you find equilibrium soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Please, stop saying phrases, such as: 'not being rude' or 'no offence'.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I fail to see a downside of using the PAYM system. Seems very convenient as long as the service is free.

If a system goes down for any reason, just pay a different way. Nobody is suggesting this will replace cash or people should use this system solely instead or other established methods.
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Lots of people only have one card, I don't have a credit only a debit card, so I have got one card.
    The problem is the time where you need something important is normally the time something goes belly up. Must admit the only time I have ever had a problem with my card is when I forgot my pin, but problems can and do happen.

You forget I work in a supermarket and a few times the card system have gone down and we was not able to take card payments. so your offline idea do not work.
    It's never a good idea to just rely on one card/account, always good to have a backup.

Computers and networks do break, shit happens - but you can always take steps to work around a problem. The likelyhood of the entire card network for Visa/Mastercard and Amex not working is pretty unlikely.

Back on topic, currently, my main bank isn't registered for the service (first direct), I can always use one of my alternative accounts which I have with the major banks to take advantage of it.

I can never understand why people just have one account and then moan when it breaks.

If it is important that you have access to money, then always have a second card with you that is not part of the same bank group/card scheme.

As it happens, money payment by mobile is quite popular in Africa. They may not all have smartphones, but it's the concept that they have warmed to.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thread I've hit back on and removed a subscription for because of the amount of tribe that gets slung about here by so-called 'adults'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I fail to see a downside of using the PAYM system. Seems very convenient as long as the service is free.

If a system goes down for any reason, just pay a different way. Nobody is suggesting this will replace cash or people should use this system solely instead or other established methods.

So you in a cafe/restaurant with a friend, they pay and you want to pay them back your bit, so you go to use this system and then realise, either your phone got no signal or that the service is not working. you got no cash on you as we are told we don't need cash. So what do you do?

Sure you can them later or maybe if they or you got time you can go to a cash machine to get some money out. You may also forget that you own them the money.

The fact is we keep being told that these systems will replace cash, we are told time and time again we will become a cashless society, but time and time again they are proved wrong. No doubt the use of cash is lower now than say 10 years ago, but a lot of people still use cash.

Not saying the idea is bad, but i think people rely too much on these electronic payment systems and one day it is going to go tit's up and bite us in the back side.

I changed my bank account a couple of weeks ago, same back just different account, they are going to send me a new debit card seems to be taking ages mind you, I am hoping that it is just a normal card, no NFC on it. I am happy to keep mine to be honest if they are in no rush to replace it. I trusts banks as much as a i trust our politicians and I don't trust them at all.
    Still at least with this new account I am getting a fiver off them a month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dslrocks wrote: »
    It's never a good idea to just rely on one card/account, always good to have a backup.

Computers and networks do break, shit happens - but you can always take steps to work around a problem. The likelyhood of the entire card network for Visa/Mastercard and Amex not working is pretty unlikely.

Back on topic, currently, my main bank isn't registered for the service (first direct), I can always use one of my alternative accounts which I have with the major banks to take advantage of it.

I can never understand why people just have one account and then moan when it breaks.

If it is important that you have access to money, then always have a second card with you that is not part of the same bank group/card scheme.

As it happens, money payment by mobile is quite popular in Africa. They may not all have smartphones, but it's the concept that they have warmed to.

Why on earth should we have to have our money in two places? a lot of people only just have enough to keep in one place, so no point in them having two accounts. a lot of people only have accounts because they need it to get paid, i would get rid of mine if my work would pay me cash I can tell you.

Cash is the most reliable as long as you got it, most places will still take cash even if they have a problem, apart from supermarkets as it would take too long.

You don't think a entire card network could go down? it have happened and can happen again.
    So we got to do what Africa is doing, then?

as i said, i may register for the system, but the chance of me using it is pretty slim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is a hilarious read :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you in a cafe/restaurant with a friend, they pay and you want to pay them back your bit, so you go to use this system and then realise, either your phone got no signal or that the service is not working. you got no cash on you as we are told we don't need cash. So what do you do?

I generally have some cash with me no matter what - at least a fiver or so. I certainly wouldn't walk into a café without some cash on me if I'm just going in for a quick coffee or something. Anything more substantial and I'd pay the café by card.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cash is the most reliable as long as you got it, most places will still take cash even if they have a problem, apart from supermarkets as it would take too long.
    Hang on a sec Noise. Supermarkets don't take cash any more? I feel like I've been asleep for a few years and missed that :o