Options

Dreaded Job interview questions!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
Forum Member
I've got a job interview tomorrow and i'm just looking for a little bit of help lol.

I know that they're bound to ask "What is your biggest weakness?".

I hate this question because, although I know i've got plenty, I don't know how to answer it.

What job interview questions do you fear?

Comments

• Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Good luck with the interview.

Can't offer anything constructive other than a smile.

Q:- What's your biggest weakness?

A:- If anything, I'm too honest.

Q:- I'm not sure honesty could be classed as a weakness, do you?

A:- I don't give a flying f@ck what you think.
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Q. What was the stretch inside for?

:blush:
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Why do you want to work here?"

The truth is I want some money and don't care about working for their company specifically.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    "Why do you want to work here?"

The truth is I want some money and don't care about working for their company specifically.

It's a bit of a stupid question, isn't it? Do employers seriously buy all this sugar-coated crap about how you've always admired the company and it's been a lifelong ambition of yours to work for them?
  • Options
    Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    See if you can find any employees on LinkedIn, their profiles might give you some insight in to the culture there as these people all passed the interview. Good luck!
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they ask you about your biggest weakness, tell them, but also tell them how you've countered it or you're in the process of countering it. So if you used to be a bit crap at organising say that you've downloaded an app or you've started to chuck all your tasks in a spreadsheet.

They'll be just as interested in the fact that you can identify it and do something about it as what it actually is.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    If they ask you about your biggest weakness, tell them, but also tell them how you've countered it or you're in the process of countering it. So if you used to be a bit crap at organising say that you've downloaded an app or you've started to chuck all your tasks in a spreadsheet.

They'll be just as interested in the fact that you can identify it and do something about it as what it actually is.

That's a great response. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Tell me about yourself" is one I find that's tricky, I try to answer it like saying "I'm an ambitious web developer and eager to use my skills in a professional environment", that kind of thing.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a great response. :)

Ooh, thank you.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit of a stupid question, isn't it? Do employers seriously buy all this sugar-coated crap about how you've always admired the company and it's been a lifelong ambition of yours to work for them?

It's not that stupid a question. The idea is that the employer wants to know why you want to work for them specifically, rather than any Tom Dick or Harry. It's not "Why do you want *a* job?", it's "Why do you want *this* job in particular?".

It takes on more relevance the higher the ladder you climb. I'd assume McDonald's aren't all that bothered about passion for hamburgers in their part-time cleaning staff, but if they were hiring for a new finance director, they'd want to know why he's applying for the job.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I know that they're bound to ask "What is your biggest weakness?".

One of the dumbest question ever asked in interviews!

It's the same with "strengths". The answer is "it depends what you're looking for!"

For example, what one person sees as "fastidious" another person will see as "slow".
    What one person sees as "dynamic" another will see as "aggressive".
    What one person sees as "a people person" another will see as "an inability to work alone".
    What one person sees as "good at following instructions" another will see as "an inability to think for themselves".

etc. etc. etc.

The real trick is to either pick a "weakness" which has absolutely nothing to do with the actual job, or describe a positive attribute as something which others might see as being a weakness!

For example, just for argument's sake, let's say it was a research job.

"A weakness? Well, people sometimes criticise me for being obsessed with detail. I have a tendency to check and double-check things which some people see as being slow."

(That's an extreme example and could come across as a bit corny, but you get the drift!)

Good luck!
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd pick a weakness that is not one of the main required skills of the job. Trying to dress a postive as a negative (e.g. I work too hard, I pay too much attention to detail) can come across as disingenuous.

Employers do like to hear you want to work for their company but not via a blanket statement about it being your lifelong ambition - give details about why the company appeals to you.

As for difficult questions, I dislike the random ones e.g estimate the number of petrol stations in the UK, why are manholes round etc. These are supposed to test your analytical thinking process rather than whether you can get the actual correct answer to two decimal places.