Options

The One Direction Appreciation Thread (9)

Comments

• Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a potencial scheduling conflict with some sport event for one american show it seems: http://www.sugarscape.com/main-topics/music/1031350/nfl-cowboys-fans-threaten-punch-one-direction-their-smug-little-faces-afte
    "[NFL Cowboys] the five-time Super Bowl champs have been forced to rearrange their pre-season programme in favour of a load of fangirls on August 24th, when 1D will be taking to the stage at the AT&T Stadium. Basically, it's a case of Where We Are > actual sport, with the NFL suffering a ticket sales loss of £7million over the whole debacle."

I don't understand why this would just have come to light: the venue was booked more than 6 months ago, it must have been deemed available then.... And they can't just have suddenly randomly decided to organise a game on a day when they had rented out the stadium, can they?

Anyway, according to some twitter source: "Management and Stadium Officials are in talks regarding a change for the August One Direction show at AT&T Stadium in Texas." https://twitter.com/official1DSTUSA/status/454795634537951233
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluestone wrote: »
    Okay guys, brace yourself.

These are Zayn's isolated adlibs for You & I.
    I'm issuing a disclaimer here as I do not intend to cause any harm or pain by posting this.

http://donthaz.tumblr.com/post/82370592452/zayns-ad-libs-in-you-i-soundcloud

i know it came with a disclaimer, but still--- :o:blush::blush::blush: :kitty:
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    i know it came with a disclaimer, but still--- :o:blush::blush::blush: :kitty:

Just beautiful. :blush: His voice just makes me melt. :blush:
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going through the reviews of the album for something separate and found some about You & I album version. They're pretty positive:

"You & I' is another quieted moment, one that doesn't even feature an anthemic chorus. It is here where the boys have actually made some steps away from their safe zone, even if it does contain a typically power pop chorus, in this pensive, acoustic number. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless." - He only named a few songs so it must have stood out. Contact Music

""You and I," meanwhile, is a lovely, asymmetrical little ballad that never indulges in the kind of soggy bombast that sinks so many boy-band love songs—perhaps because it was patterned on Peter Gabriel's immortal "In Your Eyes."" [he didn't like Happily, TTD or BTW] Daily Beast

"“You and I”: It should be “between you and me,” boys, not “you and I,” but who are we to let grammar get between us and an elegant ballad that will have the long time fans waving their cell phones in the air as the boys sing, “You and I, we don’t want to be like them. We can make it to the end. Nothing can come between you and I. Not even the gods above can separate the two of us.” This is the kind of song that 15-year old girls put on repeat as they clutch their pillows. Having been a 15-year old girl once, trust me, that is a big compliment. Could be massive. GRADE: B+ " Hitfix

"there are plenty of tracks that will undoubtedly show up (alongside the title track) on their Greatest Hits collection. "Best Song Ever" is a buoyant, instantly catchy radio hit that may not be the best song ever, but it may be theirs, the dramatic "Diana" adds a little bit of adult feeling into the mix, and the cinematically swoony ballad "You & I" shows that the group have a sure-handed way with a big ballad and can tap into some real emotion." All Music

"In fact, their voices have matured and deepened enough so they don’t sound ridiculous on Midnight Memories’ more adult material—bouncy Mumford & Sons/Lumineers-esque strums (“Through The Dark,” “Happily”), syrupy soft rock ballads (“You & I”), or raucous glam (the title track and its Mutt Lange-era Def Leppard flourishes)." AV Club

"the real subject is the band's fans, the Twitter equivalent of soccer hooligans; in "You & I," 1D depict loyalty as heroism worthy of Katniss Everdeen. They joyfully plunder rock riffs and hip-hop beats, but a logjam of lousy ballads suggests Bryan Adams embodies their ideal of maturity" Rolling Stone

"“You & I” slows the tempo following the rocking title track. The timbre shifts, with the use of acoustic guitar and touches of strings. The reason why “You & I” is effective is because it manages to both fit the boy-band mold as well as incorporate rock cues without separating the two. After all, few would label 1D as a legit ‘rock band’. Another more ‘serious’ cut, “You & I” follows the footsteps of “Story of My Life” to infuse more of a mature side to the band. Here, the young men straddle the line just right without boring the listeners. After striking gold on “You & I”, the band strikes out on “Don’t Forget Where You Belong”." Brent Music
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going through the reviews of the album for something separate and found some about You & I album version. They're pretty positive:

"You & I' is another quieted moment, one that doesn't even feature an anthemic chorus. It is here where the boys have actually made some steps away from their safe zone, even if it does contain a typically power pop chorus, in this pensive, acoustic number. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless." - He only named a few songs so it must have stood out. Contact Music

""You and I," meanwhile, is a lovely, asymmetrical little ballad that never indulges in the kind of soggy bombast that sinks so many boy-band love songs—perhaps because it was patterned on Peter Gabriel's immortal "In Your Eyes."" [he didn't like Happily, TTD or BTW] Daily Beast

"“You and I”: It should be “between you and me,” boys, not “you and I,” but who are we to let grammar get between us and an elegant ballad that will have the long time fans waving their cell phones in the air as the boys sing, “You and I, we don’t want to be like them. We can make it to the end. Nothing can come between you and I. Not even the gods above can separate the two of us.” This is the kind of song that 15-year old girls put on repeat as they clutch their pillows. Having been a 15-year old girl once, trust me, that is a big compliment. Could be massive. GRADE: B+ " Hitfix

"there are plenty of tracks that will undoubtedly show up (alongside the title track) on their Greatest Hits collection. "Best Song Ever" is a buoyant, instantly catchy radio hit that may not be the best song ever, but it may be theirs, the dramatic "Diana" adds a little bit of adult feeling into the mix, and the cinematically swoony ballad "You & I" shows that the group have a sure-handed way with a big ballad and can tap into some real emotion." All Music

"In fact, their voices have matured and deepened enough so they don’t sound ridiculous on Midnight Memories’ more adult material—bouncy Mumford & Sons/Lumineers-esque strums (“Through The Dark,” “Happily”), syrupy soft rock ballads (“You & I”), or raucous glam (the title track and its Mutt Lange-era Def Leppard flourishes)." AV Club

"the real subject is the band's fans, the Twitter equivalent of soccer hooligans; in "You & I," 1D depict loyalty as heroism worthy of Katniss Everdeen. They joyfully plunder rock riffs and hip-hop beats, but a logjam of lousy ballads suggests Bryan Adams embodies their ideal of maturity" Rolling Stone

"“You & I” slows the tempo following the rocking title track. The timbre shifts, with the use of acoustic guitar and touches of strings. The reason why “You & I” is effective is because it manages to both fit the boy-band mold as well as incorporate rock cues without separating the two. After all, few would label 1D as a legit ‘rock band’. Another more ‘serious’ cut, “You & I” follows the footsteps of “Story of My Life” to infuse more of a mature side to the band. Here, the young men straddle the line just right without boring the listeners. After striking gold on “You & I”, the band strikes out on “Don’t Forget Where You Belong”." Brent Music

Lol at the mention off the poor grammar in the title. I mentioned that yesterday lol.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Lol at the mention off the poor grammar in the title. I mentioned that yesterday lol.

My bug bear is the way Harry sings Gods .......it sounds like guards above :D
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The teaser for the new video is on Instagram this time:
    #YouAndI #5DaysToGo http://instagram.com/p/mvACb6SmiT/#
    It looks more classic than the previous one, we'll see when it comes out (it might not be a bad thing, it's also nice to switch things up from the funnier or "the boys are partying" videos).

And appearently: The Sun are giving away the Jumpers (Sweaters) that the boys wore while filming the music video for "You & I"
    https://twitter.com/1D_Swiss_Team/status/455291531994624000

Sugarscape has also reviewed the boys' new fragrance, and they seem to like it (for real I think)
    http://www.sugarscape.com/main-topics/fashion-beauty/1031745/beauty-review-new-one-direction-fragrance-moment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zayn looks positively godlike in that instagram clip!

The budget for the video must have been what, £2000? They hired the pier, got the boys some clothes, overpaid Ben Winston and that's about it. At least the single will be profitable unlike Midnight Memoflops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zayn looks positively godlike in that instagram clip!

The budget for the video must have been what, £2000? They hired the pier, got the boys some clothes, overpaid Ben Winston and that's about it. At least the single will be profitable unlike Midnight Memoflops.

wait... there's still the vinyl version of MM out on the 19th for record store day... :blush::D
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do people think You & I will do chart/sales wise? I don't have very high expectations but I really hope it does better than MM. I've been listening to it more since they announced it's the next single and I have to say it has grown on me a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    wait... there's still the vinyl version of MM out on the 19th for record store day... :blush::D

Thanks for reminding me! Nearly forgot about that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do people think You & I will do chart/sales wise? I don't have very high expectations but I really hope it does better than MM. I've been listening to it more since they announced it's the next single and I have to say it has grown on me a lot.

Not sure it'll be a top 5 smash, but I certain reckon it'll do better than Midnight Memories. The tour will be close to starting in the UK, and the label will probably use it as a tool to repush the album.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 4 will premiere the video on Friday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam will be talking to The Hits radio tonight at 7.

https://twitter.com/thehitsradio/status/455642123925065728
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Channel 4 will premiere the video on Friday.

What time is that? I just looked on the sky TV guide thing and it isn't on there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam will be talking to The Hits radio tonight at 7.

https://twitter.com/thehitsradio/status/455642123925065728

lolz!! ACTUAL liam payne... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Not sure it'll be a top 5 smash, but I certain reckon it'll do better than Midnight Memories. The tour will be close to starting in the UK, and the label will probably use it as a tool to repush the album.

It couldn't do WORSE than Midnight Memoflops. Maybe it's a good thing to get a dud out the way so no other singles will be their worst selling :p Let's not forget as well that aside from Radio 1 MM was a radio flop as well. I think You & I will do quite well on commercial radio and sell well too - not SOML levels but I think it'll be Top 10. SOML got no.2 weeks after the fan pre-order due to them finally doing promo targeting new buyers.

Having the radio edit, the extra edits and the boys promoting it on Twitter means fans will buy (I'm going to), plus BGT near the release date gives it a good shot of Little Things level success (fans already owning compensated by more radio play). They could also drop into radio stations whilst they are doing their tour. I really hope they put a lot of effort into this and that they aren't too excited and focused on the next album. Fingers crossed they drop into a US chat show for a performance on the way home from Brazil. Exciting that we will get video of them singing it next weekend :D

Speaking of which, Niall's promo video is out: http://instagram.com/p/mxk1pVymi0/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1D HQ have released vid of radio edit of You & I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jMavVkt_EE

I think I like it more than the original (even though they drown out Zayn's first solo).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I like it more than the original (even though they drown out Zayn's first solo).

I just listened to this on the radio (turns out Liam was on half 8 not 7) and I'm not sure on it, think I prefer the album version.

Liam said the video is them walking down a pier but there are a lot of special effects making them merge into each other.

Also The Hits Radio will be broadcasting live from the first show in Dublin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just listened to this on the radio (turns out Liam was on half 8 not 7) and I'm not sure on it, think I prefer the album version.

Liam said the video is them walking down a pier but there are a lot of special effects making them merge into each other.

Also The Hits Radio will be broadcasting live from the first show in Dublin.

Well that explains them all wearing the same jumper. It's reminding me of something like an advert or another music video. I do hope they don't use Ben for their next music video, they need some really experienced people to pitch ideas.

It would be awesome if The Hits broadcast a song or two, get the reputation as a decent - and fun - live act going. Maybe they'll just do some interviews with audience members though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i like both but i say this is a decent radio edit... :D what i like about their slow tempo singles (little things, SOML, you and i) is that they can be slotted in easily with those classic 70s and 80s easy listening songs on the radio... :kitty: :)
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like the radio edit, especially the "beat" they added to the second verse. I'm just slightly confused everytime I see the hashtag for the song ("YouAndI") and always think someone wrote my name :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zayn has a very nice car. Wonder if he's started those driving lessons

pic.twitter.com/RBNgfb0C7y
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, just noticed SOML is still #10 in the US airplay charts! Refuses to drop out just yet :)