2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Mel94 wrote: »
    http://twitpic.com/e0zsnl
    http://twitpic.com/e0zsie
    http://twitpic.com/e0zshl

The shower is 8.5kW. The RCD does trip when the light bulbs go, which is about every 4 weeks (for some reason :confused:)

That's bit rough-arsed and very poor form. Cable should go into the box through a gland or grommet and have not cores exposed beyond the overall outer sheath outside of the white box. On a scale of poor=1 and deadly =10 then it's around a 5.! Shows it was done by someone not a sparky. Won't immediately kill you but not good. Seems like it's wedged in the crack too and won't let the lid shut. If I was there I'd have to put it right - I'm picky like that.

Shower is at the limit for the 32A breaker - depending on length of cable and how it's installed. Does it trip often?

Bulbs blowing can trip sensitive RCDs, especially if they are cheapo halogen spotlight/downlight bulbs - the better ones are internally fused (Philips, Osram, Sylvania) and wont trip your RCD if they blow, oh and they'll last longer than supermarket and pound shop tat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Cables should be white PVC. If they are black rubber, it's definitely time for a re-wire. Cables in last 10 years are grey PVC. (Flat Twin and Earth)

Robin, I've been a sparky nearly 30 years and we've had grey PVC twin and earth since the 60's mate. Some early 70s stuff was dodgy due to PVC plasticiser leeching over the years and giving the "green-goo" issue.

Installation must be basically sound if they don't have RCDs tripping all the time.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know grey cables have been around donkey's years. I am talking generally and last 10 years has been Part P etc where all the colour codes were harmonized.

Old Cookers and Immersions from 40 years ago were often grey cables too.

(and I am BS7671 qualified too)
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    "Amateur wiring" That's my landlord for you :cool: He fitted the shower on his own within 10 minutes, plus he's put wallpaper up sideways in one room and forgot to drill a hole for the waste pipe in the washing machine to get through and left the blocking cap on the pipe. :cool:

So just to be clear RobinOfLoxley, you'd like a picture of the gas meter? And what do you mean by terminals? :blush:

The shower hasn't tripped the RCD when we used it, (hasn't been used since feb because of the noise it made) but it did used to dim the lights around the house dramatically when being switched on and off, the same when using the hoover and hairdryers. The bulbs used to blow quite regularly even before the RCD was put in, probably right about the cheap bulbs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted a piccie or two of 'around' your CU, so we could see if any earths were present to gas and electric pipes.

And/or the meter and the incoming supply cables ('Tails') and the 'PME Eart' connection.

Terminals means the metal screw connections inside your immersion box.
    ie did they connect the blue and brown wires properly? You can't check. You don't know what you are doing.
    Well you could check if you are sensible and have half a brain cell :-)

But we can't be sure your Landlord is sensible. Doesn't seem to be.

It may all be hidden. Don't worry if it is. We've seen the breakers (MCBs) and your RCDs..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh by the way, sadly, RCDs often trip when a light bulb pops.

It's the price we pay for being ultra-safe and not being electrocuted.

If you have a lamp plugged into Sockets, or have a torch handy, you'll be fine.
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    http://twitpic.com/e1025w General picture of all the meters. ^_^