Most Missed Sweetie

CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/foodanddrink/retro-sweets-450731.html

it's offishul, spangles are the most missed uk sweetie.

i was more a curly-wurly man.

Comments

• NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freddie Mercury.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Curly Wurly's are still widely available though, Spangles aren't. :)
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    In my memory the regular ones were not very nice but the old english variety was OK.
  • listerlister Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Toffo, especially the fruit flavoured variety.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    I miss Texan bars.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 199,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss MB bars :(
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    Cadbury Fuse. I used to love them.
  • nerak gnerak g Posts: 2,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi Jelly Meerkats. :(
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok , I know you'll all say "what ?! never heard of it " but when I was little Jersey Bars were around .They were made by the toffee maker McCowan . Then , one day to my utter dismay - I ran to the sweet shop clutching my pocket money and horror of horrors - they had stopped making it :o it was a small yellow flat bar a bit like fudge.I was heart broken :D I had to move on to Ripple bars , but I will never forget you Jersey bars and underneath I will always be a Jersey girl :cry::D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the sweets mentioned have gone because they were bad for teeth.

Toffee sweets always pulled fillings out and spangles ended up like shards of glass when you bit them.

Same with Black jacks and other chews.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrowgirl wrote: »
    Ok , I know you'll all say "what ?! never heard of it " but when I was little Jersey Bars were around .They were made by the toffee maker McCowan . Then , one day to my utter dismay - I ran to the sweet shop clutching my pocket money and horror of horrors - they had stopped making it :o it was a small yellow flat bar a bit like fudge.I was heart broken :D I had to move on to Ripple bars , but I will never forget you Jersey bars and underneath I will always be a Jersey girl :cry::D

oh yes indeed, the descendants of McC***n's Toffee are directly responsible for the ruinous state of my teeth.

my legal team are on the case for a large payout for compensation
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    My most missed sweetie is Pacers. Loved them :D
    Forum Member
    Most of the sweets mentioned have gone because they were bad for teeth.

Toffee sweets always pulled fillings out and spangles ended up like shards of glass when you bit them.

Same with Black jacks and other chews.

Except toffee bars and toffee sweets are still available everywhere, and Black Jacks are still on sale too.
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

Ah now that's one I do miss, and definitely isn't available any more.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

Ooh I loved Pacers, I miss Splicer Bars, and Spangles
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irn-bru bars. Used to love them.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Rachael. wrote: »
    Irn-bru bars. Used to love them.

They were great, used to get some Irn Bru bars, Taz bars and space raiders for under 50p
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taz bars :D Caramel Freddos are not the same :mad:
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Texan Bar
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spearmint Polos with the blue bits.
    Marble bar.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Opal Fruits, before they turned into Starburst. Could have sworn they tasted better as Opal Fruits lol others are mainly chocolate bars, like Trio and viscounts. They may still make them but I haven't had them in years. Ooh and club bars - 'if you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our...Club' :D

Oh I just had a flashback - at the RS McColls in town when I was a kid, they used to sell sweets made to look like cigarettes, round white sweets with the orange bar at the bottom - can you imagine that being sold nowadays?! at least I seem to remember that anyway.
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I liked Opal Fruits, before they turned into Starburst. Could have sworn they tasted better as Opal Fruits lol others are mainly chocolate bars, like Trio and viscounts. They may still make them but I haven't had them in years. Ooh and club bars - 'if you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our...Club' :D

Oh I just had a flashback - at the RS McColls in town when I was a kid, they used to sell sweets made to look like cigarettes, round white sweets with the orange bar at the bottom - can you imagine that being sold nowadays?! at least I seem to remember that anyway.

Yep those biccies are still made, although they seem to be sold mainly in discount and pound shops today.

Sweet cigarettes you can still basically buy, they don't call them that anymore and they don't have the orange bit at the top that made them look like cigarettes. They're just called Candy Sticks today, I think Barratt still make them.

Yep:
    http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/candy-sticks-p-385.html
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep those biccies are still made, although they seem to be sold mainly in discount and pound shops today.

Sweet cigarettes you can still basically buy, they don't call them that anymore and they don't have the orange bit at the top that made them look like cigarettes. They're just called Candy Sticks today, I think Barratt still make them.

Yep:
    http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/candy-sticks-p-385.html

That looks right. I haven't seen those in a long time!.

There also used to be sweets that looked like hamburgers I think, like a Big Mac lol. The only sweets I've had at all recently were Haribo Starmix - I was quite keen on them as a treat until I started getting my teeth straightened, have to cut out all sweets now :( boo.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    odd fellows.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think me and about 5 other people liked these... which is why they were discontinued about 5 years ago.... but coffee sweets in Quality Streets and Roses. A real advantage that no one else liked them as I got to help myself to remains once everyone had their share of the other sweets