Problems with 1899 and 18185

mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a BT line and have used 1899 and 18185 for years to make cheap phone calls

Today, however, and call I try ) to make with either service (on any phone) just gets the engaged tone but make the same call through BT is fine

Are BT blocking them??

Comments

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Working again
  • mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is 1899 and 18185?
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming it was an inland call, are you sure it really was the standard British busy tone?

Indirect access services such 18185 and 1899 often route calls via international networks, so sometimes you may hear a European ringing tone. This is a repeated single note rather than 'brrr brrr', and if it's unexpected it can sound like busy tone. Try holding on to see whether there's a reply !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was a standard UK engaged tone - I'm used to hearing different dial tones when using these services.
    But every number I tried to call using 1899 or 18185 gave the engaged signal (and i did hold on to see if there was an answer) yet the same number called directly using BT only was OK. This was between 5pm and 10pm last night then things returned to normal and have been OK since.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it was a glitch.

BT aren't allowed to block indirect providers.

However, if you have a BT line but pay the line rental to another telco then they can block 18185 and 1899.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »

However, if you have a BT line but pay the line rental to another telco then they can block 18185 and 1899.

Well, hopefully it was just a glitch but....
    http://www.foneforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2713.0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mseven1 wrote: »
    What is 1899 and 18185?
    They're very cost effective services. Great for international calls, and can be very useful if you need to make a few UK daytime calls but have only free evening and weekend calls on your landline. For example, Primus have an offer until 30 April of free evening and weekend calls for £6.99/month, and at the moment they don't block 18185 or 1899.

Daytime UK calls cost just 5p regardless of duration, so if you don't make many daytime calls it's often not worth having an Anytime package. Primus free evening calls are 6pm - 8am and are up to 90 minutes, which is better than BT's 7pm - 7am and 60 minutes.

Seems to be only one snag with Primus: they charge for International Freephone calls (00800) but there's no warning message and they don't mention it anywhere on their website. Not sure whether that's legal !
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Gerry1 wrote: »

You can still use 18185 if it is "blocked".
    http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php
    "Especially for all NTL, Telewest, other non-BT landline and mobile customers we have dedicated the freephone number 0808 1 703 703* for cheap international calls. Mobile users can also use our local rate access number 020 81 80 2828*".

To be honest I don't make many phone calls so my savings from 18185 aren't that much.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a couple of questions. Are these services easy to use with no hidden extra costs? Also, do they note the numbers of the people you are phoning and then spam them with calls? Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a couple of questions. Are these services easy to use with no hidden extra costs? Also, do they note the numbers of the people you are phoning and then spam them with calls? Thanks.

Very easy to use - simply dial your preferred service 1899 or 18185 followed by the area code and number you're calling.

NO they don't store the numbers you call or spam call anyone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're very good. There's also www.18866.co.uk but the rates are seldom as competitive. You can also go online to register other phone numbers so you can let a trusted friend or relative use it to call you. I found this very useful when in hospital - I just added the main number to my account each time and deleted it a minute or two later after dialling.

Inland (01/02/03) calls cost just 5p regardless of duration; the cost doesn't suddenly rocket after an hour or 90 minutes. There's also the option of having an announcement about the per-minute rate at the start of call so you know exactly how much you're paying (just add the 4p or 5p connection fee). Another good thing is that you're not charged if the line is busy or there's no reply.

The quality is high, no echoes, latency or dalek voices. International calls are also affordable, e.g. 1p/min to the USA. You can check the cost of each call online so you know you're not being overcharged.

The only drawback is that faxes may not go through, but who sends faxes these days?

Apart from the bill, the only difference you're likely to notice is sometimes hearing unfamiliar ringing and busy tones. Absolutely no spam or hassle whatsoever.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard of 1899 and 18185 but have never used them.
    I get free evening and weekend calls for £3 a month from BT.
    Anytime calls package would be a waste of money for us getting as we don't really make that many daytime calls from the landline in a month.
    We used the landline far much more a few years ago for making calls than we do now.

Darren