If Liverpool win the title this year, will Steven Gerrard retire ?

007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know he's still relatively young at 33 (34 in May). But considering this will be likely the pinnacle of his career having won everything so far, as well as possibly competing in his final major international tournament in the summer. I was thinking he may just want to finish while on top.

Comments

• Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    No, he won't.

He's got many years as a player at Liverpool left in him

And the intangible qualities a guy like him gives a team, in leadership and motivation, can't be replaced easily.

He may retire from internationals though
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No never.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anything I could see it being the opposite, with him even more determined to help make sure Liverpool stay up there as constant title contenders.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    If we win the title (still a big if) then he will have been a huge part of that. Why would he then retire. He's been brilliant for us this season.

Most likely he will retire from internationals after the summer and then stay with us for 2 more years to allow for a more gradual handover to a new captain / midfield leader - possibly Henderson.
  • bulldog rosiebulldog rosie Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next season will also give him an opportunity to get his hands on " ol' big ears" again. He won't want to miss out on that chance.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no chance, he will want at least one more year in CL before he retires.

and with all young legs around him his career will probably be extended.

i can see him playing till 36 minimum
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not for at least a couple of years yet. However I think he will retire from England duty after the World Cup.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    He would be off his head to retire while he is still making a useful contribution. You need only look at Scholes for an example of someone being dictated to by their birth certificate rather than how they were feeling.

I though Gerrard was really losing it in the last couple of years and i though some hard decisions would have to be made about his future but he's been bang on his game again this season so i dot see why he would go anywhere.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    He would be off his head to retire while he is still making a useful contribution. You need only look at Scholes for an example of someone being dictated to by their birth certificate rather than how they were feeling.

I though Gerrard was really losing it in the last couple of years and i though some hard decisions would have to be made about his future but he's been bang on his game again this season so i dot see why he would go anywhere.

Didn't he have a long injury spell?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No disrespect to other players he's played along side but I bet Gerrard can't beleive he finaly has a classy team around him up front, he can take a step back in his new role and keep the team ticking nicely, another reason he can go for 2-3 more years.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Hetal wrote: »
    Didn't he have a long injury spell?

I don't know, possibly. He just seemed to not be the same guy for a while and then he looked good again. We had a similar thing with Rio Ferdinand a few years back when i thought he had gone completely and then he seemed to recover. I think its just about players having to adapt their game to take into account the fact that they are getting older.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    He'll not be retiring anytime soon in his new role

I'd at a prediction say he's probably got another 2/3 seasons left in him at Liverpool

He's been spectacular for us this year, he's been dying to play ECL football again at the Club for 5 seasons now, if we win the League (its a big if) this year then it will be a huge bonus going into next season and the Champions League as English Champions

he won't walk away from that
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He`s getting the same ott praise dished out to Giggs a couple of years ago. The league hasn`t been won yet, if they DO manage it there is no way he would ever retire. It will be a while yet before we have to endure him on Sky Sports.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Steven Gerrard has had a great season. He's finally accepted and adapted to playing in a different, more withdrawn role, that's made a world of difference. Gerrard is two years younger than Lampard, so I can't see why he couldn't play on for a year or two at the top level.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    We will win the league and Stevie won't retire. He has a good couple more years in him at least.
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't by any means the worst question should Liverpool win the league. There are those who are delighted to go out at the top. That said I would be very surprised. I could see him playing a part over the next two or three years. It helps that he had the likes of Henderson, Sterling and Coutinho around him, who seem as if they have also taken years off Gerrard as well.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way, if they do win the league title, it could rejuvenate him, as for so long he has lived with the thoughts and desires to win this one title that has so far eluded him, that he could play with a new found freedom to his game.

The pressures would be off him mentally, and that would I think show in his play on the field.

He is already a very good captain, and this could or would just cement his stature even more at the club.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of LFC or Gerrard but he should retire from international football after the WC.
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of LFC or Gerrard but he should retire from international football after the WC.

I'd agree with the above - I think Stevie should retire from international football after the world cup. It would give him more time to concentrate on Liverpool - there is no way that he will retire from club football, nor should he. He has been superb in the deeper lying role he's taken up in the second half of the season and there is no reason why he shouldn't continue with the likes of Jordan Henderson to do the running for him!
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems valid to think Gerrard would benefit from leaving the England set up but isn't it also a fair counter argument that Gerrard has benefitted more than most for not having the slog of extra European games to cope with and Liverpool overall playing just 42 games?
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member

There'll be a few retirements after the WC I think
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerrard waited in line a fair while to get the England armband, I'm not sure he'll give it up so easily. If there are 3 or 4 other Liverpool players in the team with him I think he'll carry on for England to the next Euro's, assuming the manager wants him. He'll be at Liverpool as a player for another 3 or 4 seasons.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We will win the league and Stevie won't retire. He has a good couple more years in him at least.

Sensible Liverpool fans must love this sort of crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sensible Liverpool fans must love this sort of crap.

I hate it :(
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Gerrard waited in line a fair while to get the England armband, I'm not sure he'll give it up so easily. If there are 3 or 4 other Liverpool players in the team with him I think he'll carry on for England to the next Euro's, assuming the manager wants him. He'll be at Liverpool as a player for another 3 or 4 seasons.

I think the only realistic possibility of retirement would be his international retirement, but even then I still think providing he's playing well etc and can cope with the extra games that he may hold out until the Euro's