whats the worst faux pas?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha was he gracious about it?!

Erm, no. He glared at me and said "what?!". Bit rude, to be fair. I just muttered something like 'oh, don't worry, nothing' and sloped off. In my defence, he was surrounding by several staff members, who were all wearing similarly branded clothing!
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Erm, no. He glared at me and said "what?!". Bit rude, to be fair. I just muttered something like 'oh, don't worry, nothing' and sloped off. In my defence, he was surrounding by several staff members, who were all wearing similarly branded clothing!

Kind of "don't you KNOW who i am?!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of "don't you KNOW who i am?!"

Exactly like that! As I made my way back to the villa, I thought that it couldn't possibly be him, but without prompting my mother-in-law, she said that she thought she saw Vijay Singh near our villa….so yes, it was him and he did act like a bit of a diva.

During the same round, I passed ex-Arsenal striker Alan Smith, who was completely the opposite and was lovely.
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    Answering the register yes miss for a male teacher
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wanking all over Her Majesty the Queen's hat.

While she is still wearing it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Only if it was an accident. It wasn't an accident was it

Yes it was an accident! Or so "my friend" said.... It was around 3 am and he had been woken by Ms Plod at the door.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    A friend of my son, 'Bob', had just lost his Dad, 'Bill' (who I knew as well) to cancer. The first time I saw Bob after the death the first words out of my mouth were 'hi Bill, I was so sorry to hear about Bob.' I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me.......
  • parsley_sageparsley_sage Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    My hub saw his old friend in the street. He remembered she used to be a solicitor. What came out from his mouth was, 'Hi XXX, are you still solicitating???' Then he realised what he's just said......she wasn't happy, specially because she was with her mum and a new boyfriend of hers at that time!
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst faux pas is pronouncing faux pas as fox pas :D:D
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trumping at a job interview has to rank fairly highly :blush::(

Or even worse, wetting/shi**ing yourself or puking up at an interview.
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me, talking to a colleague I'd never met before: ''Oh, you're not rough enough to work in *insert name of really rough area here*''
    My colleague: ''I live there.....''
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calling somebody who is older than you or a figure of authority 'Mum' or Dad'.

It hasn't happened to me, although I've known one or two who it has happened to. If it happened to me I'd just want a hole to appear in the ground and swallow me on the spot.
  • NonamooseNonamoose Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a student nurse I did a stint in the maternity wards. I went into see a patient I had nursed the day before who'd had their baby. I asked her what she was calling the child and she said "Mungo". I laughed and asked what she was really calling him and she said, not amused, Mungo. I nearly died.
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago, we hired a massive villa at the prestigious Royal Westmoreland Golf course in Barbados for a family holiday.

After a round of golf, I strode up to the first person wearing a Royal Westmoreland shirt and cap to hand back the keys to my golf buggy……yep, it was none other than three-time major winner Vijay Singh….

I hope he parked it correctly and you tipped him?
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I went to a very posh hairdressers in Mayfair when I was 13. Not my usual haunt but my sister (few years older than me) saw a really good discount offer. We went to check the place out and if we did not feel too intimidated, we were going to make an appointment.

The hairdresser was in a lovely house just off Green Park but you could not really get the sense of the place so we decided to risk going in. Very plush, empty of people except a stylish woman behind a grand desk. She was on the phone, not speaking, and eyeballed me and my sister. Looking straight at me, she said, when do you want to come in? So I told her, but she repeated the question, so I repeated what I said. She then put her hand over the receiver, glared at me and said in a haughty way, do you mind, I am on the phone! I think when they made the discount offer they did not envisage two spotty oils showing up.

I wanted the earth to swallow me up. I was not the most confident teenagers, completely out of my comfort zone, felt gauche and common. Not the most embarrassing thing ever but it kept me in my comfort zone for years. I cancelled the appointment and for a long time I would not venture to places I thought were outside my class. Now I wouldn't give a stuff but when you are in ghose akward teenage years it is a different matter. I still feel a bit of an imposter when I go somewhere where my parents would never have ventured.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    not understanding faux pass ("folks pass") is the worst one ......
    If you're referring to the OP's example, I don't get the one either.
    Trumping at a job interview has to rank fairly highly :blush::(
    I have on one recent occasion farted when I did a big sneeze... and I work in a big open plan office.... with my boss sitting in the seat behind me...! I felt so embarrassed, it was a large one but it wasn't small either. I just stayed in my seat - squirming - (I had to anyway due to the work I was doing at the time).
    But after a while, I was thinking that I obviously couldn't stay in the seat for the rest of the day, so just got up when I needed to and carried on doing what I needed to do. If anyone was to say anything, I would have to admit it and get on with getting on. ;-)
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was still living with my parents, my Father used to get invited a couple of times a year to receptions at number 11 Downing street where he was allowed to take additional guests...

So on one occasion he took my fiance (later my first wife) and me. Well at some point in the evening you get formally introduced to your host, the chancellor, and they exchange a few words.

When it came to our turn as soon as we were introduced my fiance pulled out a photograph of the Chancellor and asked for his autograph :o I don't think he was particularly amused and have to admit neither was I....
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Wearing white socks with black shoes or socks and Jesus sandals. It looks absolutely ridiculous.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calling your school teacher Mum.

That's just the worst!

I know . But ive one similar.

At work the other day the md phoned me up and we got chatting and just as I said goodbye I said " love you babey " then hung up. He rang back within seconds to ssay he felt the same but didn't want our feelings for one another get in the way of a beautiful working environment.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    That's not a faux pas.

A faux pas is more a long the lines of asking someone how their mother is only for them to say that they died six months ago or something.

A few years ago at work I had to phone a sub contractor who was doing some work for us, he worked from home and had been unobtainable for a few days. Phoned up and asked for him and I thought the woman who answered the phone said 'he's gone away', I then replied 'oh that's okay, do you have a mobile number I could have for him', she replied 'I said he's passed away' :blush:
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the phrase 'there's nothing ruder than pointing out someone else's ill manners'. So I'd say the worst faux pas is making someone feel bad about commiting a faux pas!

Of course, if someone is being a total and deliberate douche, call them out on it, but if they make a foolish error, graciously downplay it.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I called my boss 'Mum' once. She was a very mumsy person, though she looked nothing like my mother. She thought it was hilarious.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulating a woman and asking when she's due only to find out she's not actually pregnant but just a bit on the lardy side. That's a slightly awkward faux pas.
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Wearing white socks with black shoes or socks and Jesus sandals. It looks absolutely ridiculous.

That is on trend at the moment for women. Not Jesus sandals but chunky ones. I saw a really pretty girl on the way home tonight and she was wearing really hideous chunky white sandals with grey socks that were baggy and in folds around her ankles. Fashion! I am well out of it!