World on the brink of a potential wheat crop crisis

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,695
Forum Member
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/wheat-rust-the-fungal-disease-that-threatens-to-destroy-the-world-crop-9271485.html

Deadly fungus spreading around the world ruining wheat crops.Scientists desperately trying to counteract it.

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would certainly explain why the price of most things wheat-related has gone through the roof at the moment.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,695
    Forum Member
    Would certainly explain why the price of most things wheat-related has gone through the roof at the moment.

Indeed.How nutritionally neccesary is wheat if the worst happens?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Indeed.How nutritionally neccesary is wheat if the worst happens?

Rice, maize and wheat provide 60% of the world's food. Wheat is the staple food for 35% of the world's population.

I was reading the other day that according to the United Nations 50% more food will be needed by 2030. This is due to population growth and developing countries becoming more affluent over the next 15 years. It will be interesting to see how they manage to achieve that if the wheat crop fails.
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    Rice, maize and wheat provide 60% of the world's food. Wheat is the staple food for 35% of the world's population.

I was reading the other day that according to the United Nations 50% more food will be needed by 2030. This is due to population growth and developing countries becoming more affluent over the next 15 years. It will be interesting to see how they manage to do that if the wheat crop fails.

And worrying too.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is bad news as the growing competition in the international marketplace over the last decade has already brought food prices to eye watering levels, Wheat shortages will mean that other food staples will become relied upon and also rise in price as well as they'll become harder to source, More poor people will face starvation.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Isn't Ukraine known for its wheat production? Hmm...
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think prices have also gone up because of people speculating on the stock market. Futures or something.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I bet governments are deeply worried. Nothing gets the public to rise up and kick you out faster than unaffordable food prices.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't eat bead so it won't really effect mWAIT IS BEER MADE OUT OF WHEAT????? :eek:
  • MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rising food prices is partly due to Asia, and other parts of the world, becoming more wealthy and eating more meat.
    All those crops going to feed animals, in a less than efficient process.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    I don't eat bead so it won't really effect mWAIT IS BEER MADE OUT OF WHEAT????? :eek:

Beer uses barley doesn't it?

And failing that, you can drink cider lol.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everyone repeat after me:

"there is no climate change. there is no climate change. there ........."
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    death of grass. john christopher.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    It's all very John Christopher.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might turn my back garden into a vegetable plot and buy a hen just in case.
  • MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I might turn my back garden into a vegetable plot and buy a hen just in case.

if you plant a hen in the ground, they don't like it..:p
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    if you plant a hen in the ground, they don't like it..:p

It might fly away if I let it roam free!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Maybe we should genetically engineer a resistant wheat strain then... oh wait, the Luddites won't like that, except that's just what farmers have done for hundreds of years - we just do it quicker in labs now.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really cut up about third world starvation and everything... but please tell me I'll still have my chili doritos?
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let them eat cake
    Forum Member
    Let them eat cake

Gluten free, I'm guessing?
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Gluten free, I'm guessing?

Flour less chocolate is always a good choice
    Forum Member
    Flour less chocolate is always a good choice

Aren't there also fungal threats to the Cacao tree? Even bananas ain't safe.

We'll soon be eating Soylent Green at this rate :o.

Oh, hang on, someone is working on that, though the ingredients list is somewhat different from the original...

https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Maybe we should genetically engineer a resistant wheat strain then... oh wait, the Luddites won't like that, except that's just what farmers have done for hundreds of years - we just do it quicker in labs now.

Their working on that now but nothings guaranteed.Perhaps this strain will prove very difficult to beat.
    Forum Member
    Their working on that now but nothings guaranteed.Perhaps this strain will prove very difficult to beat.

They just need to splice in some Chuck Norris genes. That fungus won't stand a chance and the fibre content will double as a bonus.

Yeah, the Chuck Norris meme will never die, just like Chuck Norris.

Um, he is still alive, right?