Options

"Absolute Radio is coming..." what?!

andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
Forum Member
✭✭
Not sure if I mishearing this but just now, before the top of the hour, and on a few occasions before the top of other hours today, I've heard the phrase "Absolute Radio is coming" on, erm, Absolute Radio, have I got a hearing problem or is something happening that I'm not aware of?! What does it mean?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    Might be a stunt their pulling because of the Real > Heart transformation going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be a stunt their pulling because of the Real > Heart transformation going on.

I was wondering the same but surely that joke would only make sense to either those in the know or people tuning in from Real areas (such as mine), but it's on the national mux, so they couldn't do that eh? I'll try and get a recording of it next time to prove I'm not going mad!

If it is their way of having a little joke, it's appreciated, though maybe they should actually do a concerted advertising campaign as well to pick up other ex-Real listeners?

Between them and JACK Berks, I've now pretty much not even bothered with (what was) Real Radio at all this week and I'm wondering if Absolute may have already slightly tweaked their playlist as in previous months when I've tuned in, I found much of the music to be not to my tastes, maybe it's because I'm giving it more of a fair shot now or maybe Bauer have already made changes?
  • Options
    Condor7Condor7 Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I have not heard this, but just wondered if it was DRM and not ERM. Just a thought :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    seems like Absolute Radio has started geo blocking. Anybody outside has issues receiving the web stream. Any reasons for that?

Anybody in Ireland? Are they affected as well?
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I just wish they would block the endless and tiresome trails for the breakfast show and the even more tiresome Matt Berry spoken jingles. Don't they realise that using them between almost every song makes you just want to switch off?
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seems like Absolute Radio has started geo blocking. Anybody outside has issues receiving the web stream. Any reasons for that?

Anybody in Ireland? Are they affected as well?
    Virgin, then Absolute/TIML had international aspirations, but looks like Bauer has a UK focus and stopped international streaming in January, from anther forum seems if it can't get ad revenue from overseas listeners, why bother provide expensive streaming resources and ppl payments which could reduce any profits?
    Absolute was runing at a loss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    I just wish they would block the endless and tiresome trails for the breakfast show and the even more tiresome Matt Berry spoken jingles. Don't they realise that using them between almost every song makes you just want to switch off?

Don't mind the Matt Berry jingles but yes the endless trails for the breakfast - sometimes two trails in the same ad break - is exceptionally tiresome, surely they could find some other clips to use if they have to plug it so often!?
  • Options
    PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did a long time ago, just got too much for me in the end >:(
  • Options
    reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here, here. The CoC trails really wind me up. I never listen live, but I can never understand the 'fun' from the trails.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member

Another "I agree". I'm surprised Bauer haven't stepped in and improved the presentation and imaging around the station. It would logically be my station of choice given the music it plays but I find it unlistenable due to the constant repetition of the same unfunny clips from breakfast and the equally unfunny spoken jungles.

It's an annoying and humourless version of Jack FM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Here, here. The CoC trails really wind me up. I never listen live, but I can never understand the 'fun' from the trails.

You should listen to the show then, funniest show on the radio and full of fun and giggles and over the past couple of weeks a more serious tone as well with #runrichierun

...but feel free to slag it off even though you dont actually listen,
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    You should listen to the show then, funniest show on the radio and full of fun and giggles and over the past couple of weeks a more serious tone as well with #runrichierun

No show or presenter is going to appeal to everyone and COC does tend to polarise opinion rather. I'm another bod who can't get on with the show and believe me, I've tried, on many, many occasions. I just don't find him funny but irritating. Personally, I don't have a problem with people loving the show, that's great for them and he seems to be doing a good job for Absolute, but it's not for me. The same with Andy Bush.... but I'll often be laughing out loud to Frank Skinner and Geoff Lloyd - I could listen to them all day long. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    QuincyMD wrote: »

COC is unfunny because on any of the clips in the trails he and his team always sound like they're reading from a script. Moyles, even when he was doing a pre-prepared item always sounded spontanous and in practice regularly did go off on unexpected tangents. COC sounds perpetually incapable of any tangrnt unless he'd carefully scripted it the night before.

Note to Bauer-whatever London think, most of the rest of the country think your breakfast presenter is stilted and unfunny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mfr wrote: »
    Another "I agree". I'm surprised Bauer haven't stepped in and improved the presentation and imaging around the station. It would logically be my station of choice given the music it plays but I find it unlistenable due to the constant repetition of the same unfunny clips from breakfast and the equally unfunny spoken jungles.

My issue exacly!
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed what I heard of the 80 special.
    Wonder if the title refers to the forthcoming concerts in various cities?
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My issue exacly!

Me too. I avoided the breakfast show but the CONSTANT plugging of it through the day made me turn off 3 years ago and I have never been back.

Mind you I hate ALL breakfast shows though.