Marijuana legalised in 2 US states??

starpress12starpress12 Posts: 212
Forum Member
so thousands of people have gathered in the US states of Washington and Colorado to celebrate cannabis culture as voters in both of these states have approved ballot iniatives to allow personal use of marijuana by anyone aged 21 or older for the purposes of getting high?? What is the world coming to, have there not been various studies done where drug use has been associated with mental illness not to mention the dangers and as for America with having strict regulations in place im really surprised, cannot see the logic in this whatsoever!!

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah because current drug laws have worked so well until now.
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so thousands of people have gathered in the US states of Washington and Colorado to celebrate cannabis culture as voters in both of these states have approved ballot iniatives to allow personal use of marijuana by anyone aged 21 or older for the purposes of getting high?? What is the world coming to, have there not been various studies done where drug use has been associated with mental illness not to mention the dangers and as for America with having strict regulations in place im really surprised, cannot see the logic in this whatsoever!!

That's not all, for the first time since polls have been conducted now more Americans than not favor legalizing marijuana nationally. http://www.gallup.com/poll/165539/first-time-americans-favor-legalizing-marijuana.aspx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Legalise it, then tax it - isn't that what Governments generally try to do to stuff like this. I think they're missing a trick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not all, for the first time since polls have been conducted now more Americans than not favor legalizing marijuana nationally. http://www.gallup.com/poll/165539/first-time-americans-favor-legalizing-marijuana.aspx

Good, it should be legalised.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    What fun meeting someone stone out of their head and carrying a gun.

Will it be acceptable in court "Yes I shot the man dead but my mind was altered due to being stoned off my little twig."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Legalise it, then tax it - isn't that what Governments generally try to do to stuff like this. I think they're missing a trick.

They are missing a big trick. Didn't the state of Colorado bring in $2 million during the first few months of it's legal status?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Not sure that'd be popular in the southern states, where there'd probably be an increase in the amount of illegal, tax-free, marijuana smuggled in from Mexico, and all the crime and violence associated with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Not sure that'd be popular in the southern states, where there'd probably be an increase in the amount of illegal, tax-free, marijuana smuggled in from Mexico, and all the crime and violence associated with it.

Yeah, because that never happens now
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possession is also decriminalised in Alaska, California, North Carolina and Vermont.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised no-one has suggested it to that idiot Salmond - might improve his indepedence chances by a couple of percent....
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised no-one has suggested it to that idiot Salmond - might improve his indepedence chances by a couple of percent....

Under the current arrangement, drugs laws are reserved to Westminster.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Under the current arrangement, drugs laws are reserved to Westminster.

That's the point. The poster is saying that Salmond should say "vote for independence then I can legalise weed".
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Welcome to democracy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Will it be acceptable in court "Yes I shot the man dead but my mind was altered due to being stoned off my little twig."

It's no different to meeting someone drunk in a bar who is carrying a gun - that's the US for you. Everyone's packing.

And if you take ANYTHING from that analysis don't you think it'd be better to ban guns rather than cannabis? :confused:

I mean, really, THIS is your point? :D
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and is it now acceptable in court to claim "Yes I shot the man dead but I was drunk."
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because people there would rather be customers of foreign paramilitary forces, than regulated local businesses?
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

Not really. The difference attributable to taxes wouldn't be big enough to overcome the transport and smuggling costs. Much of it is already illegally grown domestically in the US already.

An odd comment coming from someone named Jesse Pinkman. :p
  • chalkmarkschalkmarks Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone with rational intelligence that informs themselves of the scientific facts and weighed up the pros and cons of the effects of alcohol and the effects of marijuana from scientific and experiential knowledge would say that cannabis is the safer recreational substance. Economically it would change national budgets to the benefit of all.

Regarding legalisation, in half the states you can pay a dr $100 and get a script and buy cannabis under the guise of medicinal use.

I think governments should be far more concerned about the illnesses, chronic conditions and addictions being created through chemical prescription. If you have a pain, if you have an uncomfortable emotion, if you feel anxious, etc, it is now quite 'rational' to go to the dr and get a pill. Unless a person has a real chemical imbalance, the prescription of these strong substances really hampers a person's ability to meet life and deal with it in more practical ways.
    Forum Member
    So if we legalise it here you will be able to puff away on a joint but e-cigs will be banned.

I can see it now.
    Forum Member
    An odd comment coming from someone named Jesse Pinkman. :p

Yo Bitch! I have given all that stuff up now since a very nasty incident with a machine gun. I'm now in Alaska building wooden boxes and have been clean for a year now.
    I even have a girlfriend who has stayed alive longer than 6 months!

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if we legalise it here you will be able to puff away on a joint but e-cigs will be banned.

I can see it now.

As per legalisation in other countries, when it happens here no doubt smoking cannabis in a public place will be banned.

Worth bearing in mind as well that a lot of people aren't that happy about e-cigs being banned in public areas, so that might easily not happen. I know we don't live in a fantastic democracy but that's not to say we live in North Korea either.
  • chalkmarkschalkmarks Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yo Bitch! I have given all that stuff up now since a very nasty incident with a machine gun. I'm now in Alaska building wooden boxes and have been clean for a year now.
    I even have a girlfriend who has stayed alive longer than 6 months!

:D

LOL :D
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Give me a crowd full of stoned people over drunken people any day

legalise it I say
  • Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    They are missing a big trick. Didn't the state of Colorado bring in $2 million during the first few months of it's legal status?

It 's total sales exceeded 5 million in the first week :D

14 million in it's first month :D
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member

indeed