Options

Masterchef 2014 - it's here

Comments

• Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew only one would go through - they have so swapped these episodes round
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow I was right, only one is going tonight.. Spooky that was...
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough - we all saw that coming a mile off!
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aha! wondered why they have been putting more through in previous rounds. Mr BC and me think maybe this was one of the 1st rounds filmed perhaps??
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep, I knew they had swapped last nights with tonights!
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Visky wrote: »

Roseanne's sister / Sheldon's ma?

Yes!!
  • Options
    Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I knew only one would go through - they have so swapped these episodes round

Yep, I’m sure they have.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wild Garlic?? before I go hunting round

It's worth reading for a laugh. You want the Wild Garlic at Iwerne Minster. He left with a lot of debt and also leaving some people who had booked and paid for rooms in advance high and dry. He disregarded all the criticism and blamed the clients.

Just looked at reviews for his new place which is a crumbly hotel in Dorchester called The Casterbridge. Not somewhere you'd expect a Masterchef winner to be cooking at - Fridays and Sat only.

I assume that Matt can cook because otherwise he wouldn't have won Masterchef. However, he doesn't seem to be able to cook for more than a handful of people at once and, interestingly, simply will not learn.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vinegar Spicer tomorrow
  • Options
    applepie2100applepie2100 Posts: 23,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I just see Kate Spicer there??
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I love Kate Spicer. She is pure evil :-)
  • Options
    Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vinegar t!t$ judging tomorrow.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gah, the food critic who always looks like her face has been slapped with an undercooked bream.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    My brother in law lives near Dorchester so I've been there a lot, so I just looked up the hotel on Street View.

To say it's in the tattier part of Dorchester is putting it mildly, it's certainly off off off the high street.

Definitely in the kebab end! It's actually billed as a b&b!
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See you all tomorrow for some more "fine dining"... :D
  • Options
    prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    spike08 wrote: »
    I'm sorry if it's already been answered but Sophie's face is very familiar to me, where do I know her from?

She does bear quite a strong resemblance to Haydn Gwynne, who's been in lots of stuff on TV. Could that be it ?
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's worth reading for a laugh. You want the Wild Garlic at Iwerne Minster. He left with a lot of debt and also leaving some people who had booked and paid for rooms in advance high and dry. He disregarded all the criticism and blamed the clients.

Just looked at reviews for his new place which is a crumbly hotel in Dorchester called The Casterbridge. Not somewhere you'd expect a Masterchef winner to be cooking at - Fridays and Sat only.

I assume that Matt can cook because otherwise he wouldn't have won Masterchef. However, he doesn't seem to be able to cook for more than a handful of people at once and, interestingly, simply will not learn.

Am confused as the Hotel's site does not mention meals at all, just breakfast!
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which Masterchef winner/finalist has had the most success? I know Thomasina Miers runs a chain of restaurants, but reviews seem to be mixed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    prehensile wrote: »
    She does bear quite a strong resemblance to Haydn Gwynne, who's been in lots of stuff on TV. Could that be it ?

Could be she looks like everyone mentioned and my poor brain is overloaded :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    She reminds me of Juliet Stevenson
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I agree she looks like Haydn Gwynne. I liked her and I liked the look of her food.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which Masterchef winner/finalist has had the most success? I know Thomasina Miers runs a chain of restaurants, but reviews seem to be mixed.
    Well didn't she decide to go with Mexican street food, she would have to go some to get a Michelin Star with that.

Thomasina and Mat are the only two who have actually opened restaurants (at the time of this article ).

Whilst many of the others have gained experience in professional kitchens they seem to have all chosen the TV, cookery books, cookery courses, private catering route.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Alex is running a restaurant, I believe. One of the finalists on tonight whose name I can't remember is involved in running a gastropub. American Tim - was he 'opening one soon' (which I always interpret as 'would like to open one soon') or already running his own place?
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers.

Looking at some of the reviews of Mat's (now closed) restaurant on tripadvisor it doesn't look as though he has a very good attitude toward his customers.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. What a poor bunch. The Balti Fish Curry I'm cooking tomorrow is going to look like a masterpiece compared with some of that.
    spike08 wrote: »
    I'm sorry if it's already been answered but Sophie's face is very familiar to me, where do I know her from?

She reminds me of Sophie Thompson, Emma's sister and Laurie Metcalf, Mrs Sheldon Cooper