Airbus A380 "Superjumbo"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw the world's biggest airplane fly by Glasgow at 2 pm, on its way to Prestwick and then Northern Ireland from the direction it was going and from what I read, I think that means it came from Edinburgh.

Surprisingly quiet and, oddly, didn't look that big. :confused:

Lots of wheels, though.

Comments

• sub4ux4sub4ux4 Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kws reporting there from somewere outside glasgow , we shall return to this story should any further events take place
    stay with kws on ds for all the top stories .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You probably don't realise that this is the first time it's been seen in these two countries. And it might not be back for years, maybe ever.

Go fail to realise things elsewhere, sub4ux4.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kws wrote: »
    You probably don't realise that this is the first time it's been seen in these two countries. And it might not be back for years, maybe ever.

It might have helped though had you maybe inlcuded this , which explains that for the many people who didnt know.:) (it did sound a bit like you just happened to see a plane fly over as usual )

http://www.gpia.co.uk/general/newsItem.asp?NewsItemID=363

Prestwick Airport Welcomes Airbus A380 in a Spectacular British Overfly!

Saturday’s flights will be the first time the aircraft, whose wings are made in the UK, will be seen by the Scottish public and the thousands of workers across the country who contributed to bringing it to reality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and over to sally for the weather report .

your username is like a usa news channel name kws :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    It might have helped though had you maybe inlcuded this , which explains that for the many people who didnt know.:) (it did sound a bit like you just happened to see a plane fly over as usual )[/B]

This topic was a quick post for people looking out for the plane today.

Its intended audience wasn't those who need explanation.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work at Heathrow where the A380 is now a familiar sight and yes it is huge in every way except it noise. I've literally stood about 100m from it as it began its take off and its unbelievably quiet.

A whole new breed of aircraft completely and it makes the 747 look very shabby by comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    I work at Heathrow where the A380 is now a familiar sight and yes it is huge in every way except it noise. I've literally stood about 100m from it as it began its take off and its unbelievably quiet.

A whole new breed of aircraft completely and it makes the 747 look very shabby by comparison.

noise is dependant on were you stand in relationship to an aircraft
    side on its loud in front almost silent and behind pretty quiet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sub4ux4 wrote: »
    noise is dependant on were you stand in relationship to an aircraft
    side on its loud in front almost silent and behind pretty quiet

Well in comparison to the goodness knows how many planes I see take off every day its much quieter from all angles, including from near enough directly below.

Its also a lot quieter when airborne, I also live locally to LHR though not directly under the flight path and there is definitely a difference.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Saw the world's biggest airplane fly by Glasgow at 2 pm, on its way to Prestwick and then Northern Ireland from the direction it was going and from what I read, I think that means it came from Edinburgh.

Surprisingly quiet and, oddly, didn't look that big. :confused:

Lots of wheels, though.

Having seen it flying to the east of Filton, I thought it was easily recognisable given its huge size and distinctive fuselage. Like Concord, it's one of those aircraft that can turn heads.
  • couscouscouscous Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've flown BC on it from Australia nd it is so quiet on board, completely almost scarily quiet. You wonder how with so little noise it will take off and still it does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    It's very impressive but the world's biggest airplane is the Antonov An225 Mryia

Ah true, I tend to forget about it as it's something of a one-off -- ok, soon to be a two-off -- like the Spruce Goose. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on its way to an airshow in Northern Ireland.
  • SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first saw it for myself, flying overhead last year, I actually had to put down my shopping and look skywards until it had passed - I was that amazed. Sad, I know. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it from the side when it went past so I didn't really see the full size of the wings. I guess that's why the plane didn't look that big to me.

It was slightly different tones to the engines that made me go look and see if it was what I thought it was but it was no louder than any other large commecial jet, maybe even quieter.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Yup, went down to see it land at Filton having seen the itinery on PpRuNe - it's going to be parked up there overnight. If anyone in Bristol wants to see it, it will be taking off at midday tomorrow on 09 (over the A38 - not withstanding strong westerlies, but it looks like a gentle southerly).

I heard a woman next to me say "It doesn't look much bigger than the things EasyJet fly, does it?". I felt obliged to point out to her that it may be the same shape in the same proportions, but a) It's still quite a way away and b) that there are two decks, and that the diameter of the engines is the same as the entire fuselage of one of EasyJet's planes! Then she realised....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    It's very impressive but the world's biggest airplane is the Antonov An225 Mryia

Don't you mean 'aircraft', or 'aeroplane'? Or are you American?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amazing thing is that Airbus are already working on an even bigger extended version of the A380 which could in theory seat 1000 people in an all economy set up.
  • the spiz 2the spiz 2 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amazing thing is that Airbus are already working on an even bigger extended version of the A380 which could in theory seat 1000 people in an all economy set up.

Or 2000 in a Ryanair setup.

imagine the state after a 20 minute turn-round!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aargh! I live in Fife and heard today on local radio that the A380 was doing a go-around type thing at Edinburgh Airport. I'd have LOVED to have seen it but I only heard the news on my way home from work at lunchtime, and they said that it would be at Ediburgh in half an hour's time from then - we'd never have made it over in time to see it.

I'm gutted, I'd have really liked to see the big one! :D
  • Bill AdacioBill Adacio Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in comparison to the goodness knows how many planes I see take off every day its much quieter from all angles, including from near enough directly below.

Its also a lot quieter when airborne, I also live locally to LHR though not directly under the flight path and there is definitely a difference.

I saw it at Prestwick today, and the first thing I commented on was how quiet it was. It seems to loudly 'whoosh' rather than 'roar'.

But then again it was advertising this very fact right along its side in big lettering 'Airbus A380 bringing air travel to you bigger and quieter' or something like that.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    It might have helped though had you maybe inlcuded this , which explains that for the many people who didnt know.:) (it did sound a bit like you just happened to see a plane fly over as usual )

http://www.gpia.co.uk/general/newsItem.asp?NewsItemID=363

Prestwick Airport Welcomes Airbus A380 in a Spectacular British Overfly!

Saturday’s flights will be the first time the aircraft, whose wings are made in the UK, will be seen by the Scottish public and the thousands of workers across the country who contributed to bringing it to reality.

:confused: Just come to West London and you can see it every single day!

Aren't the wings made in Broughton near Chester? Struggling to understand Prestwick Airport's excitement to be honest.
  • ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Technically there is nothing revolutionary about it. It's just a large plane. The Russians and the Americans built such large aircraft long before the Airbus.

The A380 is simply a trophy/prestige project for Airbus so they can simply say look we built the world's largest civilian passenger jet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,203
    Forum Member
    Saw it flying here in Belfast today :) Had actually forgotten about the air show in Portrush today, saved me an hour and a half's drive to Portush to see it.

I actually didn't realise what it actually was until I looked at it properly :o It was coming from the direction of Belfast City Airport so assumed it was just the usual plane taking off from there, but it was very low which made me look. Usually I walk on :o Well that and the fact that there were quite a few people in the carpark hanging out the cars looking up at it :o

Was amazing to see though, not a plane watcher but I was raging that I didn't have a camera near hand to take a photo though. Was very large and it looked as if it was flying very slow.
    Was great to see it and hope that it won't be the last time I see it :)

Edit: Have just fund this on Youtube from today during a fly by in Derry :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-E8rgmtdCM
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. :D Been watching too much Ted Striker on TV!

Striker Striker Striker Striker Strikeher :D