Why is it unacceptable to a lot of people.....

Comments

• ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First off I've got to say I like Dogs.
    F'ing whoa, you've got one hell of a long fuse there.
    That incident would result in one of my catchphrases
    'Don't be a C*** all you life' and an immediate exit into car and back home and a permanent falling out.

All that boisterous jumping up at the puppy stage is to be expected, but I wouldn't let the dogs believe it's acceptable.
    I wouldn't expect you to put up with it either as a non-dog person.
    As a person who likes dogs I wouldn't stand for it for very long either.

I feel sorry for the dog, they need boundaries, and none have been set clearly.

I went and stayed with a friend, and any time her dog got too much for me, she soon let him know!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shudder wrote: »
    If you say you don't like dogs it's akin to an attack on their personality and values.

I think you possibly have to pick your words. Some people's dogs are very dear to them and a sneering "I hate dogs" will understandably cause then great offence.

On the other hand, if one is getting closer to you than you wish, something along the lines of "I'm really not comfortable around dogs" or "i'm not really a doggy person" is likely to recieve a warmer response.

If a random person allows their dog to jump at you, this is totally unnaceptable though
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I don't like eating dogs. ;)

Tastes like Chicken apparently...
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rmpc77 wrote: »
    I think you possibly have to pick your words. Some people's dogs are very dear to them and a sneering "I hate dogs" will understandably cause then great offence.

On the other hand, if one is getting closer to you than you wish, something along the lines of "I'm really not comfortable around dogs" or "i'm not really a doggy person" is likely to recieve a warmer response.

If a random person allows their dog to jump at you, this is totally unnaceptable though

Dogs are likely to jump at people, or 'greet' them, however, they should be trained so that they understand the word no, or stop.

We used to have a little Yorkie, and when we said no to him, or heel, he stopped what he was doing. Of course, he gave us a pouty look too, because he knew he was being naughty, lol, he was such a cheeky thing!

He only ever got told no once too, if he ignored that, then it'd be outside, or in the kitchen for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand dogs either and people think its odd.

I'm ok with that though because I think people that baby a mucky, loud, smelly, hairy creature and ask it to share a living space or bed (:eek:) are mental.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't stand dogs either and people think its odd.

I'm ok with that though because I think people that baby a mucky, loud, smelly, hairy creature and ask it to share a living space or bed (:eek:) are mental.

They're only smelly if they're not bathed properly. As humans would be.

I agree about sharing a bed though, plus it's very bad for a dog psychologically
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not fond of dogs either and I have experienced quite negative responses similar to the OP in the past. I don't MIND cats but I'm not a 'cat person' either. In fact I just don't own pets full stop.

I can just about tolerate dogs that are well trained. But stupid dogs that jump or slobber all over you really annoy me so much! As do the owners who just laugh and say 'He won't bite you'. Maybe not, doesn't mean I want his Pedigree Chum breath in my face! Just because you love your dog doesn't mean I do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't trust people who don't like dogs. Often times I have found out that they dislike dogs after I've decided I don't like them. So it couldn't be argued in those instances that my dislike of these people is based on my pro-dog bias. In fact I would go so far as to postulate that there is something intrinsically unpleasant about people who dislike dogs.:)

I am willing to make an exception for people who were traumatised at a young age by a negative experience with a poorly trained dog. On the condition that they seek therapy within a reasonable amount of time to overcome their disturbing attitude to dogs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't trust people who don't like dogs. Often times I have found out that they dislike dogs after I've decided I don't like them. So it couldn't be argued in those instances that my dislike of these people is based on my pro-dog bias. In fact I would go so far as to postulate that there is something intrinsically unpleasant about people who dislike dogs.:)

Adolf Hitler had a dog.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Mr Godwin how are you this fine evening.

Epic fail on your part sweetie!
    By the way it is well reported that he used to beat his dogs to within an inch of their lives and when I asked why he said because I can. Guess he didn't like dogs much hey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Mr Godwin how are you this fine evening.

Epic fail on your part sweetie!
    By the way it is well reported that he used to beat his dogs to within an inch of their lives and when I asked why he said because I can. Guess he didn't like dogs much hey.

He also tested cyanide on one of his dogs. It was a joke.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    I really dislike Dogs. They smell bad and slobber too much.

I'm much more of a cat person, i love cats :)
  • Lonely BoyLonely Boy Posts: 214
    Forum Member

What breed was it?:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lonely Boy wrote: »
    What breed was it?:)

German Shepherd
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am willing to make an exception for people who were traumatised at a young age by a negative experience with a poorly trained dog. On the condition that they seek therapy within a reasonable amount of time to overcome their disturbing attitude to dogs.

For the above reason (and a lot more), I am delighted that I hate dogs. I've made the correct decision.

I am happy to be seen as unpleasant and untrustworthy by the likes of a person who can happily write-off a human for such a pathetic reason.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I relate to a lot on this thread. I was bought up with cats and I love them. I used to think all dogs were fine as a child and wanted a large chihuahua that was going spare very, very much. I wasn't allowed him.

The I met some other dogs. Psycho Max used to guard my friend's family's chip shop, he was awesomely frightening. His owner was a good one, and he never bit me, but I had to endure him 'getting to know me' which meant him leaping and barking at me, and I was about 13 years old. He was a huge, and vicious German shepherd.

He was put down eventually as he was mentally unstable.

I never saw dogs in the same light after that.

I was wary, but I have been very fond of some dogs. Their owners were friends who loved and trained their dogs and who looked after me as well as their dogs, well.

A lot of dogs are not nice, they are badly trained, they are annoying and some are potentially or actually dangerous.

I think it is sensible to distrust dogs, personally, unless they prove themselves to you.

The idea that 'dogs are wonderful' is ridiculous, and I do think dog owners can be arrogant and blinkered. But a good dog, with a good owner is a wonderful creature.

Cats now, well, they don't bother you, generally, if you don't bother them. They aren't going to attack you for no reason and they essentially belong to themselves.

I've got more respect and affection for cats, I'm afraid, because a bad cat is a hell of a lot less annoying, frightening, irritating and dangerous, than a bad dog. And there are a lot of bad dogs around.

I like good dogs - I respect all cats.

I have a lovely cat.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't trust people who don't like dogs. Often times I have found out that they dislike dogs after I've decided I don't like them. So it couldn't be argued in those instances that my dislike of these people is based on my pro-dog bias. In fact I would go so far as to postulate that there is something intrinsically unpleasant about people who dislike dogs.

For the above reason (and a lot more), I am delighted that I hate dogs. I've made the correct decision.
    I am happy to be seen as unpleasant and untrustworthy by the likes of a person who can happily write-off a human for such a pathetic reason.

I am really grateful to you for posting that. :) Yet again the highlighted part of my post has proven true! And I had no idea you didn't like dogs until now. So that proves it wasn't my pro-dog bias at work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really grateful to you for posting that. :) Yet again the highlighted part of my post has proven true! And I had no idea you didn't like dogs until now. So that proves it wasn't my pro-dog bias at work.

So you've disliked me in the past? For what I wonder? I have no recollection of you before this thread. What could I have done to you to make you dislike me?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    that I don't like dogs?

Before I explain I really don't want to turn this into to a dog vs cat thread.

I was at work today and in a group discussion about pets I said I don't like dogs, well it seems a lot of people find this unacceptable.

"How can you not like dogs? They are the best animals in the world?" "I bet you're a cat person, well I hate cats." "You must be cold hearted to not like dogs." Were some of the comments thrown at me from dog lovers.

Now I have heard these people and others say they hate cats, yes hate. Now I think hate is a pretty strong word to use, and I don't hate any animal including dogs. But it does seem that it is acceptable to say you hate cats, spiders, snakes etc etc But to say you don't like dogs is totally unacceptable to some people, they even judge you because of it. And don't even get me started on when I say I don't like kids.

Just wondering if anyone out there has noticed this or has reacted this way themselves when finding out someone doesn't like dogs? :)

I can understand not liking kids and I can understand hating cats...... but how how in the world can you dislike dogs?! :eek:
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    He also tested cyanide on one of his dogs. It was a joke.....

Hitler's dog had three balls. Karma.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    I can understand not liking kids and I can understand hating cats...... but how how in the world can you dislike dogs?! :eek:

Quite easily, do you want me to give you a long list of reasons why I don't like them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member

How does trust equate to liking dogs? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand you not liking Llamas indeed I can understand you hating Llamas...... but how how in the world can you dislike dogs?! :eek:

I fixed your post for you. Llamas are evil. Fact!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member

I feel the same. I don't know what it is exactly, but I can't seem to trust people who really don't like dogs, and it often starts before they reveal their opinions on dogs. I once had to work with someone who disliked all animals, and there was something really cold and mercenary about her that other people picked up on as well.

I can understand people who've had bad experiences with dogs not wanting to be around them, and I can even relate to people who just aren't that into them, like I am with cats. However, the type of person who, when dogs are mentioned, starts wittering on about how they smell, and make a mess of the carpet, and jump up, makes my BS meter start pinging loudly. I can't help it.

That said, I do understand the OP being annoyed about having to share a bed with a dog. It is extremely poor training practice to let a dog in your bed, and I prefer not to have wriggling, bad-breathed farty animals near me when I sleep. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I relate to a lot on this thread. I was bought up with cats and I love them. I used to think all dogs were fine as a child and wanted a large chihuahua that was going spare very, very much. I wasn't allowed him.

The I met some other dogs. Psycho Max used to guard my friend's family's chip shop, he was awesomely frightening. His owner was a good one, and he never bit me, but I had to endure him 'getting to know me' which meant him leaping and barking at me, and I was about 13 years old. He was a huge, and vicious German shepherd.

He was put down eventually as he was mentally unstable.

I never saw dogs in the same light after that.

I was wary, but I have been very fond of some dogs. Their owners were friends who loved and trained their dogs and who looked after me as well as their dogs, well.

A lot of dogs are not nice, they are badly trained, they are annoying and some are potentially or actually dangerous.

I think it is sensible to distrust dogs, personally, unless they prove themselves to you.

The idea that 'dogs are wonderful' is ridiculous, and I do think dog owners can be arrogant and blinkered. But a good dog, with a good owner is a wonderful creature.

Cats now, well, they don't bother you, generally, if you don't bother them. They aren't going to attack you for no reason and they essentially belong to themselves.

I've got more respect and affection for cats, I'm afraid, because a bad cat is a hell of a lot less annoying, frightening, irritating and dangerous, than a bad dog. And there are a lot of bad dogs around.

I like good dogs - I respect all cats.

I have a lovely cat.:D

Oh yes they do, lol. I have as 5 month old kitten that attacks me for no good reason usually when I'm sitting watching TV he will run past and start biting me for no apparent reason. I know he is just a kitten and probably just wants to play but it can be very annoying and blooming painful too. lol