Options

Loosing Weight

DazerUKDazerUK Posts: 1,362
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've recently started to exercise and watch what I eat.

My jeans are now just hanging on, so I've obviously lost some weight. However, my belly just doesn't seem to want to go down.

Does the body lose fat in a particular order?

At the moment I seem to have lost it from my bum, how do it it to go from my belly?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    You can't do anything to lose fat from a specific area, that's a myth.

Just keep going, running before breakfast or when you haven't immediately eaten will mean your body burns off stored fat on the body as opposed to energy/fat got from food.
  • Options
    SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do more sit ups, gradually work to 1000 a day
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ElCepilloElCepillo Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DazerUK wrote: »

My jeans are now just hanging on, so I've obviously lost some weight. However, my belly just doesn't seem to want to go down.

At the moment I seem to have lost it from my bum, how do it it to go from my belly?

Last year I lost 3 and half stone in about 5 months, no secret, just eat less and exercise more (keep to the 60g fat daily limit, I ride bike for 5 x 30 mins). But the last thing to go is the belly, it'll get smaller but I still have flab there, despite being bang on my ideal weight, it's not loads and it doesn't look weird or anything, it's just the part of the body that retains that kind of thing the most.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a Personal Trainer i get asked things like this daily, The myth that you can spot reduce fat is completely inaccurate, the body burns calories from where it wants and you cannot lose weight on your stomach by doing sit ups (well you can but the body wont necessarily burn the fat from where you want, it would take a very long time and there are more effective ways) the best way to burn calories is simple, make your body work hard!, the most effective ways i find when working with clients is using heavy weights, particularly squatting!, don't worry you wont turn into Arnie, ask any young guy how hard it is to put muscle on... its simply not going to happen without the right nutrition and proper fitness programme.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a Personal Trainer i get asked things like this daily, The myth that you can spot reduce fat is completely inaccurate, the body burns calories from where it wants and you cannot lose weight on your stomach by doing sit ups (well you can but the body wont necessarily burn the fat from where you want, it would take a very long time and there are more effective ways) the best way to burn calories is simple, make your body work hard!, the most effective ways i find when working with clients is using heavy weights, particularly squatting!, don't worry you wont turn into Arnie, ask any young guy how hard it is to put muscle on... its simply not going to happen without the right nutrition and proper fitness programme.

Would wearing a neoprene strap/belt around the waist help? I mean I understand that it could mean just making that area sweat more, not that it would be a quick fix to losing weight on the selected area.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Would wearing a neoprene strap/belt around the waist help? I mean I understand that it could mean just making that area sweat more, not that it would be a quick fix to losing weight on the selected area.

bearing in mind ive never spoke to anyone who has used that strap i honestly don't know, but in my opinion it would make no difference at all, the fitness industry makes billions each year selling such products that make little or no difference to the individual.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DazerUK wrote: »

As been mention targeted fat lost is a myth. As you arent new to exercise what I would recomend as this stage is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). It is very effective at burning the stubborn excess fat.
  • Options
    sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend a book called "Waist Disposal" by Dr John Briffa

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waist-Disposal-Ultimate-Loss-Manual/dp/1848501153

I lost a lot of weight in the past, but noticed I still had some flab around the midriff. This book helped me shift that. I've started doing sit-ups and am even noticing the genesis of a "six pack". Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could achieve that