Options

Goodbye Sky Broadband, Hello BT Infinity...

Comments

• Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Sky are doing Fibre Broadband Trials at the moment
    and you can register your interest on their Website
    www.skyhighspeedbb.com

I hope this helps you
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky are doing Fibre Broadband Trials at the moment
    and you can register your interest on their Website
    www.skyhighspeedbb.com

I hope this helps you

What do they call this "Infinity and beyond".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    good luck tomorrow Glenn,

i wish BT would get their act together reguarding,my install it will be 3 weeks on thursday coming when engineer was due to install mine.

so far BT has failed to call me to arrange a new visit,even after i have made 3 phone calls,sent 4 emails,and someone from BT care forums trying to chase this up for me.

not good customer service from BT!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see the point in having all this speed and then getting restricted, I hope Bt don't restrict on this Infinity as much as they do on ADLS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Sorry for the delay in getting an update out to you all :) As you can imagine, I've been enjoying the pleasues of 40Mbps fibre broadband :)

The BT engineer called at about 11:40am, did some work at the fibre cabinet I can see from my house, and he was here at my house about 11:50am.

The engineers test at the fibre cabinet indicated speeds of 38.9MBps download, and 9.7Mbps upload. More than the speeds quoted on the BT website of 22Mbps download, and 6Mbps upload.

I had a ADSL faceplate fitted to my master socket, so he removed that, and fitted a new VDSL faceplate, and an NTE5 faceplate.

The VDSL faceplate connects straight into the test socket of the master socket. It has a socket for connection to the VDSL BT Openreach modem, and also a socket that the NTE5 faceplate connects into. Hard wired extensions are wired into the NTE5 faceplate.

That took all of 5 mins, and he performed a connection test, that gave speeds of just slightly higher than the tests in the cabinet. So I'm pretty darned near maximum speed.

The engineer connected the BT Openreach VDSL modem to the VDSL faceplate socket, and connected the modem to the new BT Infinity HomeHub. No other setup necessary, not even a broadband username and password on the hub..

Did a quick test at speedtest.net, and it comes back with 39Mbps download, and 9.5Mbps upload. I'm well pleased.

I'm so pleased with my new fibre connection that I've already downloaded just over 100GB already. Damn that 300GB threshold is going to be reached fast.

I'll probably calm down on the downloading front in a few days or weeks time, but hell its my new toy, and I'm gonna enjoy it.

Any questions then please do ask away.

Glenn
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Sorry for the delay in getting an update out to you all :) As you can imagine, I've been enjoying the pleasues of 40Mbps fibre broadband :)

The BT engineer called at about 11:40am, did some work at the fibre cabinet I can see from my house, and he was here at my house about 11:50am.

The engineers test at the fibre cabinet indicated speeds of 38.9MBps download, and 9.7Mbps upload. More than the speeds quoted on the BT website of 22Mbps download, and 6Mbps upload.

I had a ADSL faceplate fitted to my master socket, so he removed that, and fitted a new VDSL faceplate, and an NTE5 faceplate.

The VDSL faceplate connects straight into the test socket of the master socket. It has a socket for connection to the VDSL BT Openreach modem, and also a socket that the NTE5 faceplate connects into. Hard wired extensions are wired into the NTE5 faceplate.

That took all of 5 mins, and he performed a connection test, that gave speeds of just slightly higher than the tests in the cabinet. So I'm pretty darned near maximum speed.

The engineer connected the BT Openreach VDSL modem to the VDSL faceplate socket, and connected the modem to the new BT Infinity HomeHub. No other setup necessary, not even a broadband username and password on the hub..

Did a quick test at speedtest.net, and it comes back with 39Mbps download, and 9.5Mbps upload. I'm well pleased.

I'm so pleased with my new fibre connection that I've already downloaded just over 100GB already. Damn that 300GB threshold is going to be reached fast.

I'll probably calm down on the downloading front in a few days or weeks time, but hell its my new toy, and I'm gonna enjoy it.

Glenn

So let us know how you feel when you go over that 300GB limit and stuck at the same shitty speeds we all get ;) during peak. the fact i live pretty much as south west as you can go in Wales means it will take infinity for BT to get here with fiber sigh, we dont even have a 21 CN date, well we did but they took it off sam knows and its never come back.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Glenn

Why didn't you go for BT Infinity Option Two for £24.99 a month,
    on a 24 Month Contract, that one
    has the Unlimited Download feature, so you do not have to worry about how much you are Downloading

Why Oh Why, did you miss up your Package,
    I will be getting mine in December after it launches in my area
  • Options
    rjmachinrjmachin Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't you go for BT Infinity Option Two for £24.99 a month,
    on a 24 Month Contract, that one
    has the Unlimited Download feature, so you do not have to worry about how much you are Downloading

Why Oh Why, did you miss up your Package,
    I will be getting mine in December after it launches in my area

You were told in post number 40 that Glen did go for BT Infinity Option Two, the unlimited package. But, as has been said, it does have a fair usage policy of up to 300GB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rjmachin wrote: »
    You were told in post number 40 that Glen did go for BT Infinity Option Two, the unlimited package. But, as has been said, it does have a fair usage policy of up to 300GB.

Number One I did not know this
    Number Two I thought that the Unlimited Package meant Unlimited
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Number Two I thought that the Unlimited Package meant Unlimited

Hi Joshua,

As already mentioned I'm on BT Infinity Option 2, having had it installed yesterday morning :) No probs if you didn't know that already :)

Unfortuntely, regarding BT Infinity Option 2, it is "Unlimited" in terms of usage, but BT's Fair Use Policy states that they will reduce your speed if you are deemed to be "unfair".

If BT class you as a "heavy user", that is within their top 0.5% of users, then they will reduce your speed, during peak hours, down to 1Mbps for 30 days, or as long as your heavy usage continues. I did read somewhere that it was 2Mbps not 1Mbps, but I'll find out soon enough.

Off-peak, it's full speed. So you can download as much as you like, hence the unlimited, but you may find that if you breach 300GB in a month, they will slow you down.

The "fair use" threshold was, until recently, 100GB, but due to a lot of annoyed BT Infinity users, they've upped it to 300GB. Still a bit low for me, as for me more bandwith = more usage. Previously on my 4Mbps ADSL connection, bandwidth was the bottleneck stopping me from doing more.

The one thing I'm not sure of, and I guess I'll find out, is if I breach 300GB in a month, then my peak-time speed will be throttled down to 1Mbps (or possibly 2Mbps) for 30 days or as long as heavy usage continues. Fine. I don't like it, but I understand it.

If, when speed throttled, and during off-peak hours I continue to download heavily, then when is my speed restriction lifted? I can see myself downloading another 300GB during those 30 "speed thottled" days. So does anyone know when the speed restriction would be lifted?

Glenn
  • Options
    masona2masona2 Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Glenn,

Never mind speed restrictions lifted, if you reach your limit of 300GB in a mth, then download an extra 300GB in that same mth, then, sorry to tell you this, but.....

They'll just cut you off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    masona2 wrote: »
    Hi Glenn,

Never mind speed restrictions lifted, if you reach your limit of 300GB in a mth, then download an extra 300GB in that same mth, then, sorry to tell you this, but.....

They'll just cut you off.

Errr.. I don't actually think that's the case. As far as I'm aware, if I'm speed restricted after the initial 300GB, then as long as I keep downloading heavily during off-peak hours the restriction will continue.

If I let up with the downloading, and within a calendar month I downloaded less than 300GB the restriction will be lifted.

Guess I'll find out at some point...

BT's Fair Use Policy doesn't mention people being cut-off. Also that would be a breach of contract on BT's part. BT Infinity Option 2 is "unlimited" usage, but they will speed restrict you if you are a "heavy user". I know I'm a "heavy" user, and don't even deny it. Some months I'll download 80GB, other months 150GB, and sometimes more. It depends on what I'm doing, what I find to download, what HD videos I stream in iPlayer, Sky Player on my 360, Sky Player on my laptop etc.

Glenn
  • Options
    masona2masona2 Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Glenn,

I've read your many posts across the forums and I know you are knowledgable,

Trust me on this one.

Without talking about Infinity, I know for a damn fact BT will cut-off ANYONE they consider to be abusing their service on the particular package they are on (none of this £1 per extra GB crap).

Infinity is new, I know a lot about it, but I know nothing about it, because I haven't got it.

From what you've posted though, about your usage,

it sounds like you'll be the first test case.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hi Masona2,

I hope not....

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is a bit of a heavy user?

Either way we'll see what happens. I expect I'll get a nice little email from them about being speed restricted within the week, then I'll see how it goes from there.

Glenn
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    My oh my, it's amazing the amount off people who have posted on this thread without even bothering to read it from the start. Lets see how many others post after this point.

Hey Glenn. Glad to hear you're up and running mate, looks like your threshold off 300gb aint gonna last too long, although you still have the bonus off downloading at full speed during off peak times. Let us know when you have reached you're limit and how the speeds are affected and at what times mate.

Laters
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Trust me on this one.

Without talking about Infinity, I know for a damn fact BT will cut-off ANYONE they consider to be abusing their service on the particular package they are on (none of this £1 per extra GB crap).

Infinity is new, I know a lot about it, but I know nothing about it, because I haven't got it.

From what you've posted though, about your usage,

Your talking Bollox, BT will cut off people abusing the system, if Glenn though downloads 1TB a month genuinely then he isn't abusing it he is using the service, no way will BT cut of Very Heavy Users. he will likely be restricted for every 30 days he is over the 300GB only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey Glenn. Glad to hear you're up and running mate, looks like your threshold off 300gb aint gonna last too long, although you still have the bonus off downloading at full speed during off peak times. Let us know when you have reached you're limit and how the speeds are affected and at what times mate.

Just got this from BT lol :) I'm impressed I've reach that threshold within 6 days! :)

Fair Usage Policy: your speed may be restricted
    at peak times
    Dear Customer,
    We thought you'd like to know that your broadband usage in September is now above 240GB.

In accordance with our Fair Usage Policy, and to protect the online experience of all our customers, if your monthly broadband usage goes over 300GB, we'll restrict your broadband speed at peak times (typically this is between 5pm and 12am, but these times may change depending on the demands on the network) to 2Mbps for 30 days.
    Please note: your service won't be affected in any other way - we'll restrict only your speed, not the amount you can upload and download.
    We'll email you again to let you know if your usage exceeds 300GB. For more information please see our Fair Usage Policy.

What does this mean for me?

You have received this email because your broadband usage this month means you are a very heavy user (which is typically less than 1 per cent of all customers). If your usage has unexpectedly increased it may be for several reasons. If you have downloaded a peer-to-peer (P2P) client to your PC then your usage levels can be affected by other P2P users uploading files from your PC, you may need to adjust the settings or remove the client. It is also important to check that your wireless connection is password protected. If you suspect that your password is no longer secure then this should be changed.
    You can keep track of your usage by downloading a free, independent, usage monitor from the web and installing it on your PC. This will only report the usage driven by that machine but it will provide an indication of your usage levels.

Best wishes,
    BT Total Broadband team
    Please note that this is an automatically generated email for your information only. Unfortunately we cannot respond to 'replies' to this address.

So it seems that 240GB is the warning threshold, and 300GB is indeed the 2Mbps speed restriction threshold.

Doesn't both me too much. I will still be able to download / upload at full speed during off-peak hours. Wonder if I can download a whole 1Tb in a month... :)

Glenn
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Doesn't both me too much. I will still be able to download / upload at full speed during off-peak hours. Wonder if I can download a whole 1Tb in a month... :)

Glenn

Ha Ha.......go for it. Looks like your gonna be spending a few more dollars on more HDD's to hold all you're stuff mate:)
  • Options
    Little OtikLittle Otik Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Hey Glenn. I was just wondering do you have to switch your calls and line rentel back to BT before you can take up infinity or can i keep my existing homephone provider and still be able to go on infinity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey Glenn. I was just wondering do you have to switch your calls and line rentel back to BT before you can take up infinity or can i keep my existing homephone provider and still be able to go on infinity?

Yes, unfortunately you do have to move your line rental and calls back to BT to get Infinity.

But it's not too bad with, especially considering I get 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload.

Bear in mind you will also be tied into an 18 month contract with BT Infinity

Glenn
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well there you go!! It's taken me all of 7 days to reach and exceed the 300GB threshold set by BT's "new" Fair Use Policy.

Just got sent this at 17:45 lol

Fair Usage Policy: your speed will be restricted
    at peak times
    Dear Customer,
    We emailed you recently to remind you about our Fair Usage Policy. Our records show that your broadband usage in September is now above 300GB.

In accordance with our Fair Usage Policy, and to protect the online experience for all our customers, we'll now be restricting your broadband speed at peak times only (typically this is between 5pm and 12am, but these times may change depending on the demands on the network) to 2Mbps for a minimum of 30 days. We'll continue to restrict your speed and notify you by email as long as your monthly usage remains above 300GB.
    Please note: your service isn't affected in any other way - we restrict only your speed, not your ability to upload and download.
    For more information, please see our Fair Usage Policy.

What does this mean for me?
    You have received this email because your broadband usage this month means you are a very heavy user (which is typically less than 1 per cent of all customers). If your usage has unexpectedly increased it may be for several reasons. If you have downloaded a peer-to-peer (P2P) client to your PC then your usage levels can be affected by other P2P users uploading files from your PC, you may need to adjust the settings or remove the client. It is also important to check that your wireless connection is password protected. If you suspect that your password is no longer secure then this should be changed.
    You can keep track of your usage by downloading a free, independent, usage monitor from the web and installing it on your PC. This will only report the usage driven by that machine but it will provide an indication of your usage levels.

Best wishes,
    BT Total Broadband team

:D

I don't really care at all. Off-peak I'll still be burning along at the full 40Mbps. During peak hours i.e. 5pm till 12am, I'll be restricted to 2Mbps for 30 days (half my previous ADSL2+ speed).

My wife won't even notice, as all my wife does is play Tresure Madness / Bejewelled Blitz on Facebook, and check a few emails now and again.

Me, well I'm sure I can get by. My Usernet and P2P client(s) will be full steam ahead off-peak, and on-peak, well I'll be surfing websites, and checking email.

As far as I'm concerned my downloads will still be a helluva lot quicker than they would have been on my previous 4Mbps ADSL2+ connection with Sky Broadband.

After all I'll be getting 17 hours of off-peak hours a day at 40Mbps.

It's gonna be interesting to see when my speed restriction is lifted, as I'm not exactly going to be slowing down off-peak, and can totally envisage another 300GB being downloaded by the end of the month.

I'm still unclear as to the length of my restriction. You get restricted if you download > 300GB in a month, then get restricted for 30 days. So if I download another 300GB by the end of September, and then slow down the pace, until 21st October, so for example say I only downloaded 100GB between 1st Oct and 21st Oct, then that would mean on the 21st Oct my restriction would be lifted, and I'd have 200GB to play with for the rest of October. That's my understanding anyway.....

Oh as for storage :D Well I've got 4TB internal storage, and 6TB of external storage, plus a BluRay burner, so no worries there :-)

The only thing that will suffer during my speed restriction will be streaming video from iPlayer / Sky Player, but to be honest, a lot of the content I get from iPlayer / Sky Player I download onto my laptop for later viewing during my 2 hour communte into London everyday (and 2 hours back). So the lack of decent streamed video won't be a massive issue for me.

Online gaming with my PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 will survive at 2Mbps...

I'll let you know when my speed restriction has been lifted

Edit: Just realised the speed restriction is really not going to affect me a lot at all (bar the off live streaming video during peak hours), as my P2P software uTorrent / Emule is throttled by BT during peak hours anyway... By the way, I've tried using protocol obfuscation i.e. encryption on both uTorrent and eMule with no success. BT still throttle them!!

Although my usenet client will suffer during peak hours, which is only 7 hours out of 24 ;-)

Glenn
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is 300GB a lot of useage

I have received an e mail for the first month useage of 17GB against a monthly allowance of 10GB at a second / weekend location
  • Options
    Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of these companys say they are faster but to me they are all the same? maybe it's my area I don't know.
  • Options
    rustybucketrustybucket Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Glenn, I have a question, what on earth are you downloading, you must have square eyes if thats all movies/programmes etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn, I have a question, what on earth are you downloading, you must have square eyes if thats all movies/programmes etc?

Well to summarise.. I've uploaded a number of HD videos from my camcorder to YouTube, downloaded about 15 films on SkyPlayer, 10 programmes on iPlayer, bought a couple of games on the Xbox 360, updated the PS3, and a few other internet connected gadgets to the latest firmware, watched a few live streams, downloaded some stuff related to the arcade emulator MAME, downloaded a demo of a 3D Blu Ray disc (iso format) from NetBlender DoStudio, plus a load of 3d sample videos from some swedish site, oh and downloaded Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate from Microsoft MSDN..

Glenn