Sky contract ended, but account in credit. Return of money?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
Forum Member
My contract with Sky ended a few weeks ago but checking online I notice my account is in credit to the tune of €8.

I'd like it back if possible! How is this amount refunded? Do they send out a cheque or is it put back into your bank account via the direct debit facility? Also how long does this take?

Comments

• Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On previous occasions when I left Sky any balance on my account was not repaid after leaving despite me asking.

They just keep the money on your account until you return. That was a while ago though.
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Don't you have to give a month's notice anyway?
  • bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do, but the same happened to me. I cancelled but my dd was due in 5 days time and was too late to stop. They meant I ended up about £15 in credit.
    I just called up and they returned the money to my bank via a transfer.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Demand it back and you get it. Sometimes via cheque or automatic credit.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you actually cancelled with Sky - the contract is not just for 12 months it is for a minimum of 12 months with 31 days notice required for cancellation?
  • firestarter.ukfirestarter.uk Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I logged on via mysky & send an email requesting the credit. A response was received by return & a refund cheque arrived within a week or two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Have you actually cancelled with Sky - the contract is not just for 12 months it is for a minimum of 12 months with 31 days notice required for cancellation?

Hi Dave, cancelled and services have been been switched off. Was past the minimum 12 month period. Apologies if this wasn't clear.

@ firestarter: Whats the email address you used?
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Lewis (moneysavingexpert) mentioned this the other week.

He said that Sky and some mobile 'phone companies tend to keep any credit owed and only repay it upon request.

When I left Sky many years ago I rang them to ask for a refund and was sent a cheque, but I had to ask.

It's funny how, when YOU owe Sky money, they aren't so shy about contacting you.
  • tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell em they owe you an administration charge of £15 as well.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My contract with Sky ended a few weeks ago but checking online I notice my account is in credit to the tune of €8.

I'd like it back if possible! How is this amount refunded? Do they send out a cheque or is it put back into your bank account via the direct debit facility? Also how long does this take?

Good luck in getting it! Despite repeated requests BT have never closed my account down properly and still send me a statement showing it as being in credit,I left them over two years ago!
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tin wrote: »
    Tell em they owe you an administration charge of £15 as well.

Good point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Good luck in getting it! Despite repeated requests BT have never closed my account down properly and still send me a statement showing it as being in credit,I left them over two years ago!

EGG credit card did it to me.. I have them in court at present to recover moneys that was in credit on my card.

As for SKY nothing would surprise me, its taken 4 calls, and still my Card isn't paired with my HD box! I've closed account and have to apply for a refund.. (although my home account is still running)
    Forum Member
    I logged on via mysky & send an email requesting the credit. A response was received by return & a refund cheque arrived within a week or two.

Have tried this. Awaiting a response.
    Forum Member
    Have tried this. Awaiting a response.

Received email today from Sky. Amount to be refunded in the next couple of days to my bank account.
    Forum Member
    Amount credited to my bank account today.