cinema prices.too much?

Comments

• Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I started a thread on this topic 3 days before this one.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1460318
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I started a thread on this topic 3 days before this one.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1460318

This explains it - I saw this thread and thought I had already replied to it before, but it was your thread :D:D
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having paid £11.30 to see Thor 3D I fully agree that cinema is too blinking expensive these days!

I started a thread listing some deals for getting cheaper tickets here if anyone has any other deals to add:

Cinema ticket bargains - Movies - Digital Spy Forums

There's also some more deals listed here which may be of interest to those with families:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-days-out#cinema
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got sick to death of people using the cinema as a social club. Using their mobile phones and talking through the film. I just gave up.

Hear, hear.

Aside from the truly horrendous ticket prices which are in no way justifiable anyway, other people just aren't well-mannered enough in even the most very basic of ways to make going to the cinema in this day and age worthwhile.

So I have, by and large, stopped going almost completely. I do miss the big screen experience but when you detest 3D as I do, add together the cost of going and the disgusting behaviour of fellow patrons, what's the point?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Went to the flicks at the Odeon recently with a friend. No change of £30 for the two of us and lots of idiots with ipads in there.

total waste of money and a shocking experience.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Hear, hear.

Aside from the truly horrendous ticket prices which are in no way justifiable anyway, other people just aren't well-mannered enough in even the most very basic of ways to make going to the cinema in this day and age worthwhile.

So I have, by and large, stopped going almost completely. I do miss the big screen experience but when you detest 3D as I do, add together the cost of going and the disgusting behaviour of fellow patrons, what's the point?

Couldn't have said it better myself. Much better to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray/downloadable release instead of paying such extortionate prices, often to see a film in 3D (which you wanted to see in 2D), having to cope with the idiots talking/eating/walking around/kicking the backs of seats/etc.

I fail to see the appeal any more of going to see a film at the cinema - the home experience is far superior.
  • cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not that long since i started this thread and the prices at my local cinema have gone up AGAIN including the 3D price. im stopping going and will now only go for something really important like the new thing prequel.no wonder movies can make millions,when we are being charged extortionate fees.
  • cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i see that cinema world in glasgow charges extra for 3D films.so does every cinema you say,but this bunch of swindlers are also charging 80p on top of that for the glasses.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Steve AWOL wrote: »
    Having paid £11.30 to see Thor 3D I fully agree that cinema is too blinking expensive these days!

I started a thread listing some deals for getting cheaper tickets here if anyone has any other deals to add:

Cinema ticket bargains - Movies - Digital Spy Forums

There's also some more deals listed here which may be of interest to those with families:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-days-out#cinema

Where is that at my local odeon is £9.60. I would never pay £11.30 to see a film.

Edit sorry it is £11 exactly for premium seats :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    The food at my local cinema costs more than the ticket although once I paid for a regular drink and the dozy boy behind the counter gave me a large drink for the price of a regular one.

I digress, I remember watching Quantum of Solace for £6 and my sister paid nothing because it was a Tuesday and the cinema does it's own version of Orange Wednesdays. I watched Pirates of the Caribbean 4 on an Orange Wednesday with a friend. The girl who served me asked if I had other means of discounts like student id or the like. Instead of paying £6, I paid £4.25 and my friend on the Orange promo got in for free.

3D movies are meant to be over the odds expensive but it costs around £8. £8 is fair but I don't really have the time of day for 3D. My local cinema is great, I don't go anywhere else. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I saw The Hurt Locker there and it cost me £11.

Are you sure it wasn't the Odeon Mezzanine nextdoor to the Odeon Leicester Square? The Leicester Square has one screen, the other 5 next door are the mezzanine.

£11 is too cheap for it to be the Odeon Leicester Square.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't been to the cinema in about 10 years.

Used to cost me £2.50 for early bird, but now I prefer to wait a few months and watch it in the comfort of my own home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Last film I saw in the Cinema was Matrix Revolutions. Thought the prices were far too steep back then. Was going to go see Transformers the other week, but my local cinema now charge £8.50 for a ticket, which has to be booked online, and then they hit you with a booking fee and a card handling fee, pushing it over £10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another unlimited cineworld user here. i think these cards are great as you only have to go twice in a month and you have covered the monthly cost. and i tend to go twice a week.

me and my friend have stopped going to 3d versions of films now though (unless it looks like it NEEDS to be seen in 3d like Tron). and our local is good at showing films in both 2d and 3d
    we dont want to pay an extra £1.50 per film ontop of our monthly fee.
    Forum Member
    i see that cinema world in glasgow charges extra for 3D films.so does every cinema you say,but this bunch of swindlers are also charging 80p on top of that for the glasses.

So does every Cineworld I have been in, they have done since 3D started in the Cinemas, you need only keep your glasses though and you never have to pay again.
    Forum Member
    sarah812 wrote: »
    The food at my local cinema costs more than the ticket although once I paid for a regular drink and the dozy boy behind the counter gave me a large drink for the price of a regular one.

I digress, I remember watching Quantum of Solace for £6 and my sister paid nothing because it was a Tuesday and the cinema does it's own version of Orange Wednesdays. I watched Pirates of the Caribbean 4 on an Orange Wednesday with a friend. The girl who served me asked if I had other means of discounts like student id or the like. Instead of paying £6, I paid £4.25 and my friend on the Orange promo got in for free.

3D movies are meant to be over the odds expensive but it costs around £8. £8 is fair but I don't really have the time of day for 3D. My local cinema is great, I don't go anywhere else. :)

Doesn't your friends and sister split the cost with you, if you pay £6 don't they give you £3 - because these people wouldn't get in with out you paying so I think the polite thing to do is the pay half of the cost of the actual ticket. I would do that anyway (I do it for the 2 for 1 tickets at Alton Towers we split the price of the actual ticket so it is like half price for both)
    Forum Member
    h007 wrote: »
    another unlimited cineworld user here. i think these cards are great as you only have to go twice in a month and you have covered the monthly cost. and i tend to go twice a week.

me and my friend have stopped going to 3d versions of films now though (unless it looks like it NEEDS to be seen in 3d like Tron). and our local is good at showing films in both 2d and 3d
    we dont want to pay an extra £1.50 per film ontop of our monthly fee.

I find the 3D cost quite reasonable because I am a Unlimited member, if I had to pay for the ticket as well I might grumble a bit but £1.50 isn't bad when there is no ticket to pay for, if I took a tenner to the cinema I could get Large Popcorn and Drink and watch 1 3D film and as many 2D films as I wanted - all for £10 for me that is a bargain, so don't begrudge the £1.50 (I usually bring my own 3D glasses so I never have that 80p surcharge too)

And if you don't get food it is only £1.50 for a trip to the cinema again nothing to grumble about for me :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonny1973 wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't the Odeon Mezzanine nextdoor to the Odeon Leicester Square? The Leicester Square has one screen, the other 5 next door are the mezzanine.

£11 is too cheap for it to be the Odeon Leicester Square.

I've just looked at some photos online and yes, it was the mezzanine. Still in Leicester Square though.
  • Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the 3D cost quite reasonable because I am a Unlimited member, if I had to pay for the ticket as well I might grumble a bit but £1.50 isn't bad when there is no ticket to pay for

Why are we still playing extra for 3D films? I thought the reason we pay more because of the need to update screens and equipment! I'll bet cinemas have made enough money from 3D films now to install these items twice over!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I've literally just bought 9 tickets for Harry Potter 3D at VUE in Hull for Saturday night.

5 student and 4 adult tickets - £78.00!!

My debit card certainly took a battering today!
    Forum Member
    Why are we still playing extra for 3D films? I thought the reason we pay more because of the need to update screens and equipment! I'll bet cinemas have made enough money from 3D films now to install these items twice over!

They found that people willingly paid for it and so the prices stuck, you are not going to knock money off something that sells are you.
    Forum Member
    I've literally just bought 9 tickets for Harry Potter 3D at VUE in Hull for Saturday night.

5 student and 4 adult tickets - £78.00!!

My debit card certainly took a battering today!

That is around £8.67 for each ticket, not bad for 3D really. People are saying they are over that as standard. Incidentally why 3D? Why not the 2D version?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember going to the cinema many a time as a kid - my parents would take me, I'd go with a friend and their family or me and my mates will go as a group and back then it used to cost about £2 max for each person and this was back in the early-mid '90's.

When I've been recently though its been £7-9 per person (on a standard ticket) to get in to see a film and thats even after the films have been out a while (my local cinema is an Odeon) shows how much they have increased and this is before you have chosen a drink, popcorn etc.

The sad thing as well is that I'm really interested in film/cinema and love to watch movies but now I will only go if its a special occasion (someone birthday etc), its a film I really want to see or if its Orange Wednesdays as the price just gets far too expensive otherwise :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Doesn't your friends and sister split the cost with you, if you pay £6 don't they give you £3 - because these people wouldn't get in with out you paying so I think the polite thing to do is the pay half of the cost of the actual ticket. I would do that anyway (I do it for the 2 for 1 tickets at Alton Towers we split the price of the actual ticket so it is like half price for both)

No because in comparison to the Odeon in town, that's very cheap. Irregardless, she's my sister and it's only £6. As for my friends, there are some who I insist have to pay their own way but I don't really mind. I usually get my own back at Pizza Hut or McDonalds after we've seen the film. :D
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last film I saw in the Cinema was Matrix Revolutions. Thought the prices were far too steep back then. Was going to go see Transformers the other week, but my local cinema now charge £8.50 for a ticket, which has to be booked online, and then they hit you with a booking fee and a card handling fee, pushing it over £10.

bloody hell .

plus - the movie might be crap .