why is rap popular?

124»

Comments

• mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Hip Hop with Heart..Listen carefully to the lyrics all you non believers..
    how could you not be touched

(growing up)
    Ghostface Killah - All That I Got Is You
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rjKYX6lSU8

(dealing with abortion)
    Common - Retrospect for Life
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZVNFYleb8

(true love)
    Mos Def & Talib Kweli- Beautiful
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AyOxgP1SJg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'd like to contribute a track which is easy to take in

j-live - a charmed life
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    starfoxxx wrote: »
    I agree that its quite silly to disregard an entire genre of music, but most of the popular rap/hip-hop today that i hear is pretty awful :(

I'm not a big fan of this kind of music but i bought an album called Illmatic by a guy called nas a few weeks ago, its from the early 90s; thats a really good album, i recommend that :)

It made me laugh how you said "a guy called Nas". :D He's pretty much a legend tbh (due to his good albums, like the one you listened to). I love the DJ Premier tracks especially. He's one of the best hip hop producers of this generation imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    It made me laugh how you said "a guy called Nas". :D He's pretty much a legend tbh (due to his good albums, like the one you listened to). I love the DJ Premier tracks especially. He's one of the best hip hop producers of this generation imo.
    I felt the same way about that phrase tbh, but there was noting negative in the sentence, so I didn't point it out :cool: And I agree about DJ Premier.I just hope Nas steps away from Salaam Remi because they just don't make amazing music together anymore.His album that's supposed to come out sometime in 2012 is eagerly anticipated, though, so I'm hoping for brilliant production and since his lyrics and vision is always on point, I'm hoping that he will deliver his 5th classic!!
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would like premier to work with nas all the time now like he did with guru (rip)
    i thought his delve into the pop charts with Christina Aguilera was really good as well..you could still hear his style.
    Forum Member
    Apart from DJ Premier, however, he should work with brand new producers.He may actually discover the next big hip hop producer!!And 'Illmatic' didn't have high profile guests or collaborators, so if he takes a musical risk, he may end up with one more classic under his belt and broaden his already huge cult following :cool:
    Forum Member
    mialicious wrote: »
    I would like premier to work with nas all the time now like he did with guru (rip)
    i thought his delve into the pop charts with Christina Aguilera was really good as well..you could still hear his style.

Yeah, I loved that album he did with Christina.

Infact, Ain't No Other Man is probably DJ Premier's best-known song ever (with the general public), and he's done a LOT of songs! That song is amazing, how he basically combined two random songs from the 60's and it managed to be such a big hit with the general public 40 years later!

Christina is supposed to be releasing another album next year. I would love him to do more songs with her on it.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I loved that album he did with Christina.

Infact, Ain't No Other Man is probably DJ Premier's best-known song ever (with the general public), and he's done a LOT of songs!

Christina is supposed to be releasing another album next year. I would love him to do more songs with her on it.
    It's been 99% confirmed.DJ Premier has worked with Christina.I don't know if his tracks are going to make the final tracklist, but they have done some sessions and judging from the 'Making of B2B' dvd, they seem to have quite a good chemistry :cool:
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    It's been 99% confirmed.DJ Premier has worked with Christina.I don't know if his tracks are going to make the final tracklist, but they have done some sessions and judging from the 'Making of B2B' dvd, they seem to have quite a good chemistry :cool:

Since it's 2011, knowing my luck, her album will probably be mainly RedOne and David Guetta beats. :( I really hope he gets at least one song on there though, and it would be even better if it was a single!

I heard rumours that Eminem will be doing a verse on her album aswell, which, if true, would generate a bit of media attention due to the history between the two of them.
    Forum Member
    Since it's 2011, knowing my luck, her album will probably be mainly RedOne and David Guetta beats. :( I really hope he gets at least one song on there though, and it would be even better if it was a single!

I heard rumours that Eminem will be doing a verse on her album aswell, which, if true, would generate a bit of media attention due to the history between the two of them.
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkqi9yY1Yg1qdf8w1o1_500.gif
    OF COURSE NOT! ;)
    The only generic producer that she worked with was Dr Luke and it's not even confirmed that they did sessions together.The only confirmed songwriters/producers are Linda Perry, Sia, Tricky Stewart and DJ Premier.William Orbit's contribution is the most widespread rumour, but it's not 100% confirmed and the same applies to Dr Luke. :cool:
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkqi9yY1Yg1qdf8w1o1_500.gif
    OF COURSE NOT! ;)
    The only generic producer that she worked with was Dr Luke and it's not even confirmed that they did sessions together.The only confirmed songwriters/producers are Linda Perry, Sia, Tricky Stewart and DJ Premier.William Orbit's contribution is the most widespread rumour, but it's not 100% confirmed and the same applies to Dr Luke. :cool:

I don't mind Dr. Luke that much really. Like recently he's done E.T. for Katy Perry/Kanye West, That's All She Wrote for T.I./Eminem, the Inside Out beat for Britney Spears and Magic for B.o.B.

If it's a song as good as any of those, I wouldn't mind. If it's something like Dynamite, Tik Tok, California Gurls, etc, then that would be bad (not to mention out of date, since that was the sound that was popular in 2010, but everybody will have moved past that by 2012).