Crb

Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
Forum Member
✭✭
Do the organisations you work for insist on CRB for all posts rather than just those working with vulnerable people? A family member has a conviction that would show up on a CRB check and wants to know to what extent that's going to be a problem. Once it's spent it will no longer have to be declared under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act but how can people with convictions ever put it behind them if every job insists on a CRB check?

Comments

• kittleskittles Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the organisations you work for insist on CRB for all posts rather than just those working with vulnerable people? A family member has a conviction that would show up on a CRB check and wants to know to what extent that's going to be a problem. Once it's spent it will no longer have to be declared under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act but how can people with convictions ever put it behind them if every job insists on a CRB check?

no legally its only with vulnerable people

I know some orgs try to insist on everyone having them but they have no right to demand it

more info

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Startinganewjob/DG_195809
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally anybody working with children, medical, social care, legal or financial could be asked to provide a crb check. Also a crb check is just that, a check. Its up to the company to decide how to use the information.

Also convictions do get 'spent' after some time and don't appear on standard CRB but may appear on enhanced ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For every post in my case.
    It depends on offence and the post. Some disqualify you, some don't. Best to give HR office a call.
  • pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only jobs which are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act can require employees to undergo a CRB check. Otherwise, provided that the conviction is "spent" then the applicant can truthfully answer "no" to any questions about criminal convictions if asked.

Even then it depends on the type of check

Basic checks only disclose unspent convictions, but are not offered by the CRB, only the Scottish safeguarding board. These can be technically be required for any job, to prove that somebody has no unspent convictions. If they are all spent then nothing will show up. Very rarely done, as there's little point if it is already spent.

Standard CRBs are normally asked for by jobs that are exempt from the ROA. This can include jobs involving a position of trust - eg accountants, lawyers, doctors plus jobs which involve working with "vulnerable" people (eg health visitor, mental health professional). These show up any conviction, whether spent or unspent. Cautions may show up - there is some confusion over whether they should be counted, whilst discharges may or may not show up.

Enhanced CRBs are the same, except they can also include any information that did not lead to a conviction, eg any arrest/trial - even if found innocent - and general information the chief officer feels relevant.

It's not an ideal system and I would definately agree that they are asked for inappropiately at times for jobs which really don't need it. There are a lot of jobs which might involve speaking to people on the phone where CRBs are required.. this seems to be straying away from the original point of the leglislation. They are only valid on the day they were produced - they cannot normally be used again, which has led people to apply for several CRBs in a short period of time if they move within a company or between jobs.

Fortunately the current government is of a somewhat more liberal mind than the last Labour one, and has been consulting about to restrict the overall bureaucracy and administration of applying for these checks, and whether they are being asked for more than is necessary. There's a fairly big industry around it now which would have become even larger if Labour's madcap plan to criminally vet anyone that came into contact with children, however briefly, had been adopted.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kittles wrote: »
    no legally its only with vulnerable people

Sadly, that's not entirely true. I believe if you're working in the financial sector or with certain data you also need 'checking'.

All sort of organisations insist on some level of CRB check and there's seemingly nothing anyone can do about it.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in a Civil Service dept (ICT Programme Manager) and I had to have a CRB ... probably access to data, I didn't ask!
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »
    Sadly, that's not entirely true. I believe if you're working in the financial sector or with certain data you also need 'checking'.

All sort of organisations insist on some level of CRB check and there's seemingly nothing anyone can do about it.

Yes I work in Finance, and part of my job involved dealing with data which included information which potentially could relate to vulnerable adults so I had to have a check.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in a Civil Service dept (ICT Programme Manager) and I had to have a CRB ... probably access to data, I didn't ask!

Basic, standard or enhanced?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you work for a company that falls under FSA regulations then potentially you may be checked.

As mentioned there is a supposed to be a revamp of the system but I don't see the checks being any less detailed only that one check can be used multiple times which it can't under the current system.

As mentioned before, its down to the organisation as to how they view the convictions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    It's just a shame that they never bothered to introduce the Basic CRB (only unspent offences) check in England and Wales in the end - 'no demand', apparently.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a job requires a crb check, it needs to apply for the government. If you need to fill in a crb form the crb form should tell you which section of the crb law is needed to be filled in.

What is the job for?

For those saying "it all depends on the company," its all very well saying that, but if a piece of paper says someone has a conviction on it, it is difficult to argue with that. It does depend how long ago the conviction was and also if its spent or not, what the conviction was, and if a prison sentance was handed out.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Do the organisations you work for insist on CRB for all posts rather than just those working with vulnerable people?

There are now a LOT of companies insisting on CRB checks when it's probably not legally required for them to do so - it's simply a matter of covering themselves from potential problems in the future.

Bu the entire thing is ludicrous - me wife works in a school, and has to have FOUR seperate CRB's to work in the same school.
  • pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are thinking of introducing "basic level" CRB checks like they have in Scotland which only show unspent convictions. This would be preferable for jobs where some level of vetting might be needed beyond an applicant ticking the box that declares no unspent convictions, but which do not need to go as far as standard or enhanced checks. It would stop a lot of the companies who are trying to get around the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act asking for details of spent convictions, when there no objective need to do so.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pxd867 wrote: »
    They are thinking of introducing "basic level" CRB checks like they have in Scotland which only show unspent convictions. This would be preferable for jobs where some level of vetting might be needed beyond an applicant ticking the box that declares no unspent convictions, but which do not need to go as far as standard or enhanced checks. It would stop a lot of the companies who are trying to get around the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act asking for details of spent convictions, when there no objective need to do so.

Yes the CRB arrangements seem to have made a mockery of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. I think a conviction is either spent or it isn't - and if it is then unless you are working directly with vulnerable people (including children) unsupervised then it should not show up on any check or mistakes that people make when they are very young will haunt them forever.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Basic, standard or enhanced?

Basic ... I have just presumed it's because I have access to sensitive data.....
  • joijijoiji Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it depends on how long a person spends in prison and what the offence was depends on if it shows on a CRB check ..under 3 years and a minor offence is usually cleared straight off when you are released. After that it shows for 3yrs and if the sentence was 10yrs+ it stays on for life. Obliviously some serious crimes with a shorter sentence stay on record ie sexual offences.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joiji wrote: »
    I think it depends on how long a person spends in prison and what the offence was depends on if it shows on a CRB check ..under 3 years and a minor offence is usually cleared straight off when you are released. After that it shows for 3yrs and if the sentence was 10yrs+ it stays on for life. Obliviously some serious crimes with a shorter sentence stay on record ie sexual offences.

Completely inaccurate in almost every part :D

1) Depends on the type of CRB check.

2) ALL convictions are listed for life on enhanced checks and are never 'cleared off'.

3) Sexual offences are not differentiated from non-sexual offences.

Do not confuse CRB checks with ROA.