Comments

• daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,615
    Forum Member
    CLA29 wrote: »
    Is no one else watching this? Can't believe how different Kim appleby looks

me :D
  • AlfiesmumAlfiesmum Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    totally watching and have just been dragged to my youth - forget how good these songs were, away to update the ipod lol:D
  • AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG I had forgotten how cheesy SA&W music was..lol Off to update Spotify with the cheese :D
  • mrhahawiffymrhahawiffy Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching. A very nostalgic programme :D
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I never knew that nothing can divide us was written for rick astley.
    I used to love Jason so much.
  • widbearwidbear Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon 'cheesy' just means 'a song I really like that is unfortunately uncool' ;)

They were my teens and I'll be damned if I ever hate those songs, although the Dead or Alive/Mel and Kim ones were the pinnacle for me.

Princess looks an utter fruitcake now, but a very entertaining one. That video is very melancholy though, with all the views of the UK in 1985..
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I was nine when Kylie started her pop career. I loved all the saw stuff
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1991...Rythm of Love album....when Kylie got SEXAAAYYYY!! :D
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm too young to remember any of these, there were some bits I recognise off songs I've heard on the tv/radio though. Really only watched it to see Kylie cos I love her!! Anyone know if there going to be re-doing the show in Hyde Park?
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love SAW!!!

One thing these docs never seem to pick up on is they seemed to just take phrase or saying as the song title and build the song around it.
    We all say things like I Should Be So Lucky, This Time I Know It's For Real, You'll Never Stop Me Loving You......so the songs are already in our heads before we hear them in one sense.

Despite the cheese and uncool-ness, they were very clever blokes. What more recommendation do you need than Lamont Dozier.
  • Sprite123Sprite123 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kylie Minogue was one of the most sexiest of Pop stars alive back then :D

I was only in Primary School, and had my first girlfriend and my first school disco - happy days :)

Also, virtually all the artists shown in that industry compared to now were all like-able and people you could warm too.

Now all people care about these days is being fame hungry.
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great nostalgia. Such catchy tunes. Throughly enjoyed this programme. Still love Kylie.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they rescheduel the concert.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching on ITV+1 and finding myself singing along to Hazell Dean and Dead or Alive. :o:D

By the time of Kylie, Rick and Sonia it was pure overkill and I was moving onto more "alternative" sounds.

Fun memories, though.
  • debailey72debailey72 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Still get teary about Mel loosing her fight to cancer after all these years.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    CLA29 wrote: »
    I never knew that nothing can divide us was written for rick astley.
    Neither did I but I can certainly imagine him singing it.

Going to watch the whole thing tomorrow.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they still all hate each other so much that the other two didnt want to take part?
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love their music,was a good show.

I Just Don't Have The Heart has always been my favorite and my karaoke song :D
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    widbear wrote: »
    I reckon 'cheesy' just means 'a song I really like that is unfortunately uncool' ;)

They were my teens and I'll be damned if I ever hate those songs, although the Dead or Alive/Mel and Kim ones were the pinnacle for me.

Princess looks an utter fruitcake now, but a very entertaining one. That video is very melancholy though, with all the views of the UK in 1985..

Really enjoyed this, love the Kylie comment about 'in 20 years time they'll look back & say they were great records'... Bit like tonite then Kylie : ) Stock Aitken & Waterman were a product of their time and the fact they acknowledge this is only for the good
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    debailey72 wrote: »
    Still get teary about Mel loosing her fight to cancer after all these years.

Mee too, she may have survived nowadays
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    One thing these docs never seem to pick up on is they seemed to just take phrase or saying as the song title and build the song around it.
    We all say things like I Should Be So Lucky, This Time I Know It's For Real, You'll Never Stop Me Loving You......so the songs are already in our heads before we hear them in one sense.
    That's a lesson SAW learned from Abba, many of their hits had figures of speech as titles, too - Waterloo, I Do, S.O.S., Mamma Mia, Name Of The Game, Winner Takes It All, Does Your Mother Know, Head Over Heels etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked that first Frankie Goes To Hollywood-esque song they produced by Agents Aren't Aeroplanes (great band name :D). Will be looking for this tonight!

Looking at their wikipedia page I had NO idea they'd ever produced anything for Danse Society! The success of Dead or Alive must have had something to do with this.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When one looks back at 80's music, its possible to divide it into two eras pre, and post SAW.

The period 1980 - 86 was without doubt creative and unique stretching from Two Tone to Electronic and Spandau to Duran Duran, something for everyone, even cheese, but quality cheese.

1987 onward creativity died, conveyor belt pop had arrived and pop music has never recovered, the involvement of a certain Simon Cowell in the SAW story sort of proves my point.

Everything sounded the same be it Jason Donovan, Sonia or the Reynolds Girls.

I actually like Pete Waterman, but he has played a big part in the decline of pop music and the identikit dirge that fills the charts today.

Was it just me but is Simon Cowell beginning to resemble Joan Rivers?
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one mentioned that all the records had the same drum machine beat.
    I kept expecting Sonia to say (in that annoyingly chirpy way of hers) "Hiya ! I'm Sonya. I'm from Liverpewl !" I think Dawn French did a brilliant impression of her years ago :D
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    It would seem us gays were erased from PWL history - according to the programme is was the young kids that kept them popular - when Kylie sexed up the young kids didn't like it and moved on.
    I would say a large % of PWL music buyers were gay men aged 18 and over! and Pete knowingly made it for gay men. Yet no mention.

and what has happened to Simon Cowell's face?? bloated from too much filler and botox. He looks bloody terrible.....I'm surprised no-one has said anything to him - esp Sinitta.