Alien 5 - idea

MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
Forum Member
✭✭
I have had an idea for Alien 5 that could retcon Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection into a continuity where the original Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop survive.

We know Ripley is prone to vivid nightmares due to her experiences with the Aliens.

Could Alien 5 begin with a sequence showing that the events depicted in Alien 3 and Resurrection were just dreams (it could be handled kinda like the flash back sequence at the start of Alien 3 showing quick dreamy cutscenes).

Do you think that could work to get the franchise back on track?

Comments

• tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Have you read any of the Aliens graphic novels? If you like the idea of a continuation of Hicks and Newt's story, try those. Although, they went back and changed the names for later editions, following the canon events of Alien 3.

It's a shame the Brothers Scheisse mucked up AVP: Requiem so badly, because the alien in a 21st century earth small town setting was such an awesome concept. That would be where I would have gone with Alien 5, a prequel.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    I have had an idea for Alien 5 that could retcon Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection into a continuity where the original Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop survive.

We know Ripley is prone to vivid nightmares due to her experiences with the Aliens.

Could Alien 5 begin with a sequence showing that the events depicted in Alien 3 and Resurrection were just dreams (it could be handled kinda like the flash back sequence at the start of Alien 3 showing quick dreamy cutscenes).

If it was a comedy, perhaps.
  • Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently watched the blu ray special edition of Alien Resurrection with the different ending.

They could easily make a good 5th one that continues from the first 4.

I think every movie from the Alien series is good, the first two are the best but the following two are also good.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think every movie from the Alien series is good, the first two are the best but the following two are also good.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Alien 3, especially the extended version - however I think the whole cloning thing in Resurrection was taking it too far, just to bring Ripley back.

By retconning in the way I have described, we get to keep Alien 3 and Ressurection as part of the continuity (for the fans of these films) - but also get to continue the story from where Aliens left off (for the people who don't like them).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't think of a worst way to butcher the Alien franchise than turning two of the movies into dream sequences.

I would have preferred it if Ridley Scott did an Alien 5 which continued from Resurrection than Prometheus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't think of a worst way to butcher the Alien franchise than turning two of the movies into dream sequences.

Fair enough - different strokes for different folks.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, great idea, we could have Ripley getting out of bed and going into the bathroom and there's an alien in the shower...
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member

I would have preferred it if Ridley Scott did an Alien 5 which continued from Resurrection than Prometheus.
    Agree with your first point. The public have been messed with around too much with Alien, and this dream nonsense would look like fanboy-pandering twaddle.

But for Scott, I would've prefered if he'd returned to Alien afresh as was first thought, and not a sequel or - as we got - some quasi-prequel hampered by what lies ahead. The iconic status of Alien is surely strong enough to benefit from a complete reboot/overhaul.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Wow, great idea, we could have Ripley getting out of bed and going into the bathroom and there's an alien in the shower...

Nah - if that idea could have flown, they would have done it in the dream sequence in Aliens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with your first point. The public have been messed with around too much with Alien, and this dream nonsense would look like fanboy-pandering twaddle.

But for Scott, I would've prefered if he'd returned to Alien afresh as was first thought, and not a sequel or - as we got - some quasi-prequel hampered by what lies ahead. The iconic status of Alien is surely strong enough to benefit from a complete reboot/overhaul.

I personally think a reboot would be better than a 5th Alien film containing Sigourney's Ripley within the continuity set up by Resurrection.

The entire premise behind resurrection and the can of worms it opened with the Newborn was ridiculous (although as a scifi movie in its own right - it is quite enjoyable). Taking that continuity forward would be a mistake IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alien should be left alone to RIP, in fact it should have ended after the second movie aliens.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some might say that turning any of the movie sequels from 3 onwards into dream sequences would be a definite improvement to the franchise!! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Michael Bay should script, direct and write the theme song to AvPvPAvDvBHC(Alien vs Predator vs PredAlien vs Decepticons vs Beverly Hills Cop).

In all seriousness, I'd rather they left it now, Scott himself gave a rather lack lustre attempt with Prometheus, and unless someone can give a truly interesting and new sci-fi angle to it it will just become even more tired and boring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all seriousness, I'd rather they left it now....

Whilst I do tend to agree, discussions around a 5th Alien film containing Ripley have been going on for years.

My idea was on the assumption that it may happen.

I was kinda thinking along the lines of an earth setting.

After the opening dream/flashback sequence - Ripley wakes from her nightmare in a sweat (like in Aliens). It is revealed that Ripley has in fact been living on earth for the past 20 odd years with Hicks. They adopted Newt who has since grown up and Hicks has become high ranking in the military. Unbeknownst to them, the company did manage to recover alien eggs from LV426 and have been using them to develop bio weapons on earth. During a test run or upon their deployment, things go awry.

In truth, any continuation of the Ripley story line will probably be a mistake.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Whilst I do tend to agree, discussions around a 5th Alien film containing Ripley have been going on for years.

My suggestion was on the assumption that it may happen.

I was kinda thinking along the lines of an earth setting.

After the opening dream sequence, it is revealed that Ripley has in fact been living on earth for the past 20 odd years with Hicks. They adopted Newt who has since grown up and Hicks has become high ranking in the military. Unbeknownst to them, the company did manage to recover alien eggs from LV426 and have been using them to develop bio weapons on earth. During a test run or upon their deployment, things go awry.

In truth, any continuation of the Riply story line will probably be a mistake.

Mistake No.1 - for the love of god, please don't have Ripley and Hicks as a romantic couple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    Mistake No.1 - for the love of god, please don't have Ripley and Hicks as a romantic couple.

That future possibility was already alluded to in Aliens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I say this as a massive fan (Aliens is my favourite film), but they should leave the Alien series alone and just let Ridley Scott continue with his Prometheus prequels. Say what you want about Alien Resurrection, but the theatrical ending is kind of a perfect ending for the character of Ripley in the way that she finally gets home to Earth.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Alien 3.

If any franchise needs a dream sequence then Godfather 3, Robocop 3, Matrix 3 and Beverly Hills Cop 3 should take precedence as they were all steaming piles of turd.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    That future possibility was already alluded to in Aliens.

Thankfully ended in Alien 3.
    Could Alien 5 begin with a sequence showing that the events depicted in Alien 3 and Resurrection were just dreams

Yeah, maybe Ripley was in Kansas after all. There's no place like home, etc...
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's only one way the franchise can go now and we just have to look at the patterns of the other four to see where this is.

Alien - One alien, no weapons
    Aliens - Lots of aliens, lots of weapons
    Alien 3 - One alien, no weapons
    Alien Resurrection - Lots of aliens, lots of weapons.

It's started to get a bit repetitive so what we need is:

Alien 5 - One alien, lots of weapons
    Alien 6 - Lots of aliens, no weapons

With the added benefit that we could get both films out of the way in about 10 minutes and then let the whole franchise finally rest in peace.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think I agree.

Prometheus could be used as a brand new fresh start that begins a completely different Alien franchise that branches off into a different direction altogether.

It needn't even harm the original franchise as far as continuity and canon is concerned.
    The Sigourney Weaver franchise went in one direction, some new characters go off into an altogether different direction.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why not just have a multiverse ?

after all thats what dr who does when none of the plotlines fit together .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    why not just have a multiverse ?

after all thats what dr who does when none of the plotlines fit together .....

My idea was based only on the assumption that Alien 5 would continue the existing Ripley continuity (as early discussions around the possibility of Alien 5 have indicated). There would be no point creating a multiverse scenario with Ripley in it - you might as well do a reboot. Also - the whole multiverse or alternate timeline thing has been done to death.

Despite the unpopularity of my idea - I believe it does have some virtues.

1. It wouldn't invalidate Alien 3 or Resurrection. These movies would still stand as canon, albeit within Ripleys psyche. Just think of them as extended nightmare sequences - like the one from the beginning of Aliens.

2. It fits with existing canon. We know Ripley has terrible vivid dreams about the aliens (seen from a third person perspective), specifically being impregnated and birthing aliens. She is vehemently opposed to allowing the aliens to earth, or allowing the company/military to get hold of them to develop bioweapons. We also know that Ripley has a strong maternal connection with Newt and losing her would be extremely disturbing. All of these scenarios appear in Alien 3 and Resurrection - making them believable nightmare scenarios for Ripley.

3. It is (to my knowledge).....original :D I cant think of another movie franchise that has retconned the story in this way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant think of another movie franchise that has retconned the story in this way.

There's a good reason for that. Turning entire movies into dream sequences is a bit of a cop out.

Ripley's dreams were vivid but not to the point she would dream up something like Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection overnight.

I think the quadrilogy is fine the way it is and adding to it will only spoil it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's only one way the franchise can go now and we just have to look at the patterns of the other four to see where this is.

Alien - One alien, no weapons
    Aliens - Lots of aliens, lots of weapons
    Alien 3 - One alien, no weapons
    Alien Resurrection - Lots of aliens, lots of weapons.

It's started to get a bit repetitive so what we need is:

Alien 5 - One alien, lots of weapons
    Alien 6 - Lots of aliens, no weapons

With the added benefit that we could get both films out of the way in about 10 minutes and then let the whole franchise finally rest in peace.

Just cut your loses:

Alien 5 - No aliens, no weapons, no film.