Do bus drivers have a problem with students?

XFactorFanatic1XFactorFanatic1 Posts: 1,784
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The normal general prices for Arriva customers are £2. For student's it's £1.90 or with stagecoach, student's pay on for £1.40.

I have worked since I left school at 16 and have never ever been out of work. I've went from one shift straight into another before today and for every penny I've got - I have worked hard for.

However, I've noticed (this has happened more than once) I've been about to get on the bus and the driver has been lovely with the people infront of me, really chatty etc. Then when I walk up and say 'Student fare, please.' they give me a horrible look, don't respond and practically just threw my change at me.

The other day I got on one and he said really nastily 'HAVE YOU GOT YOUR STUDENT CARD.' I replied nicely 'Yeah, do you want to see it?' as I don't always have it out ready. He gave me a deathly look, smerked and said 'No I don't want to see it.'

You do get those student's who take the p*ss out of student loans and try and rince as much discount as anything they can get - trust me, I work in retail. I've had student customers come up to me before today asking for student discount on 30p bars of chocolate. But I'm not one of them - as I said, I work hard for every penny I get. It really annoys me when people are like 'All these students getting money for free.' - erm no we're not.

Do any of you have children, relatives, friends or even yourself - in university? Does it annoy you when people have pre-assumtions of you?

If you're going to reply with a nasty or sarcastic comment, please - I'd rather you not bother. I just want to know if any of you have ever had an experience like this or ever heard any nasty comments aimed at students reguarding loans etc.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    You don't get anywhere without complaining.

If a bus driver dared to treat me in a patronising and negative manner, I would be emailing the bus company from my phone and telling him what I wrote word by word.
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just you they don't like, not specifically that you're a student?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think bus drivers just have a problem with everyone. They have to be one of the country's most miserable occupations and treat every passenger as an inconvenience.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I think bus drivers just have a problem with everyone. They have to be one of the country's most miserable occupations and treat every passenger as an inconvenience.

I find the women drivers provide a miles better service than the men.
  • XFactorFanatic1XFactorFanatic1 Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the women drivers provide a miles better service than the men.

Agreed. The woman do seem nicer but maybe that's because we take more notice as it's rare seeing a woman bus driver. The men are just plain miserable.
  • citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The normal general prices for Arriva customers are £2. For student's it's £1.90 or with stagecoach, student's pay on for £1.40.

I have worked since I left school at 16 and have never ever been out of work. I've went from one shift straight into another before today and for every penny I've got - I have worked hard for.

However, I've noticed (this has happened more than once) I've been about to get on the bus and the driver has been lovely with the people infront of me, really chatty etc. Then when I walk up and say 'Student fare, please.' they give me a horrible look, don't respond and practically just threw my change at me.

The other day I got on one and he said really nastily 'HAVE YOU GOT YOUR STUDENT CARD.' I replied nicely 'Yeah, do you want to see it?' as I don't always have it out ready. He gave me a deathly look, smerked and said 'No I don't want to see it.'

You do get those student's who take the p*ss out of student loans and try and rince as much discount as anything they can get - trust me, I work in retail. I've had student customers come up to me before today asking for student discount on 30p bars of chocolate. But I'm not one of them - as I said, I work hard for every penny I get. It really annoys me when people are like 'All these students getting money for free.' - erm no we're not.

Do any of you have children, relatives, friends or even yourself - in university? Does it annoy you when people have pre-assumtions of you?

If you're going to reply with a nasty or sarcastic comment, please - I'd rather you not bother. I just want to know if any of you have ever had an experience like this or ever heard any nasty comments aimed at students reguarding loans etc.

Most students i see on public transport are childish, noisy, badly behaved brats.

Of all the passengers on their buses it wouldn't surprise me if it was students that cause drivers the most annoyance therefore it is hardly surprising if some have little time for them.
  • jaek123456jaek123456 Posts: 8,410
    Forum Member
    Once I gave a women change and it was a penny too much. She had a right go at me saying if it happened again she wouldn't let me on.

So it's not just men :D
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Some bus drivers are just ignorant, miserable gits and should not be interacting with the public.
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most people dont like students

Its probably the fact that they are lazy wastrels who think they are cool and would not know hard work if they shat it out and eat it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most students i see on public transport are childish, noisy, badly behaved brats.

Of all the passengers on their buses it wouldn't surprise me if it was students that cause drivers the most annoyance therefore it is hardly surprising if some have little time for them.

Maybe in your experience. But in mine the ones causing the problems are drunks, smackheads or yobs in black tracksuit's who sit at the back with there bad music blasting.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    solution : avoid buses, get a car
    Forum Member
    CatWolf wrote: »

Its probably the fact that they are lazy wastrels who think they are cool and would not know hard work if they shat it out and eat it

Yes and I'm sure this applies to everyone, including the medicine and nursing students that try to find new cures/look after you when you're ill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You've clearly not read my thread. Stop stereotyping. Not all students are like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe in your experience. But in mine the ones causing the problems are drunks, smackheads or yobs in black tracksuit's who sit at the back with there bad music blasting.

There are significantly less of these so they are a far more infrequent problem. No, students are a nuisance day and night for months on end, with only a brief respite during holidays.

Generally, I'd prefer to sit next to any of the above before a group of students.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol I remember when I was student without a card and I still wasn't liked by bus drivers. Got worse when I eventually bought a bus pass. That was many years ago - I guess things haven't changed then.
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaek123456 wrote: »
    Yes and I'm sure this applies to everyone, including the medicine and nursing students that try to find new cures/look after you when you're ill.

Dont forget the media studies students who are looking for new tv programmes and picking their feet
  • phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should see the looks I get off bus druvers for using my disabled bus pass.
    Forum Member
    There are significantly less of these so they are a far more infrequent problem. No, students are a nuisance day and night for months on end, with only a brief respite during holidays.

Generally, I'd prefer to sit next to any of the above before a group of students.

It depends though. People only say "students"

When I was a student back when I was at school my friendship group was generally reasonable on buses and we was as loud as the elderly couples on the bus.

The thing is bus drivers that saw my discount card seemed more irritated with me than the ones that did cause trouble who didn't have it. Was quite annoying.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Bus Driver Training School (Bob Newhart)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaek123456 wrote: »
    It depends though. People only say "students"

When I was a student back when I was at school my friendship group was generally reasonable on buses and we was as loud as the elderly couples on the bus.

The thing is bus drivers that saw my discount card seemed more irritated with me than the ones that did cause trouble who didn't have it. Was quite annoying.

I understand your point but by definition these emotional reactions are subjective and not based entirely on logic. That doesn't mean they don't happen or exist!
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here you must show your student card when asking for a student fare.

Maybe that one was just fed up asking when people should know the rules. Cause I'm certainly fed up being held up on my journey by arses who find it too much trouble to go into their manbag and actually get the card that entitles them to travel for far less than everyone else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Here you must show your student card when asking for a student fare.

Maybe that one was just fed up asking when people should know the rules. Cause I'm certainly fed up being held up on my journey by arses who find it too much trouble to go into their manbag and actually get the card that entitles them to travel for far less than everyone else.

Whats your excuse when I get on with my card ready and the bus drivers still as nasty with a face like thunders?
    Forum Member
    solution : avoid buses, get a car

Not everyone can drive.
    Not everyone is allowed to drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, because studying is a recreational activity and so easy. Shut up, you're embarrassing yourself.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats your excuse when I get on with my card ready and the bus drivers still as nasty with a face like thunders?

Maybe he was having a bad day? Maybe he thought as you only pay a reduced rate you should get reduced pleasantries?

I dont know and I dont really care. Neither should you, there are much more important things than grumpy bus drivers.