Ancient papyrus appear to suggest that Jesus had a wife

AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
Forum Member
✭✭✭
"An ancient scrap of papyrus makes explicit reference to Jesus having a wife, according to a renowned expert in Christian history.

Harvard divinity professor Karen King unveiled the 4th-Century Coptic script at a conference in Rome.

She said researchers had identified the words "Jesus said to them, 'my wife'", which might refer to Mary Magdalene.

Christian tradition holds that Jesus did not marry - but Ms King said in early years it was subject to debate.

The provocative find could spark debate over celibacy and the role of women within Christianity, she added"

"According to Ms King's research team, the text also quotes Jesus as telling his followers that Mary Magdalene is worthy of being his disciple.

This, in turn, casts new doubt on the long-held belief that Jesus had no female disciples, and raises issues about Mary's biblical role as a sinner, the researchers said."

Don't really know what I make of it - I'm not religious at all, and it looks like there are doubts about how authentic or reliable it is. Does anyone believe it? And is it important or a bit of a so what?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19645273

Comments

• johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    The Da Vinci Code may prove to have some fact to it, after all :eek: :p
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    its about as reliable as the bible so i would take it as fact, well as much as you can a story witten hundreds years after the fact after a long line of chinese whispers.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Shh. The last thing we need is Christians burning American flags and murdering ambassadors.
    It'll be on your head for spreading it.:D
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be wonderful news if it's true I always like to think he had someone, he had such a short life he deserved some happiness.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I do hope so :D
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been surprising if he wasn't married.
    Forum Member
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Oh I do hope so :D

Imagine being the person who finds out that Jesus is in their family tree :D
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    That would be wonderful news if it's true I always like to think he had someone, he had such a short life he deserved some happiness.

I love a bit of optimism on what will otherwise become a thread of religion bashing and slanging match.

However he doesn't seem to be a very good husband as he was almost never at home.
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    How dare some American make such unfounded allegations about the Son of God! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've a good mind to go and set fire to the US Embassy in protest! Any Christian brothers and sisters want to join me?
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "more bronze aged arab area bollocks casts doubt on more bronze aged arab area bollocks shock"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Won't alter the fact that it's the single worst written work of fiction ever published (well a tie with everything else Dan Brown has ever penned).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shh. The last thing we need is Christians burning American flags and murdering ambassadors.
    It'll be on your head for spreading it.:D

Maybe it might also mean that the hardcore christians who are living celibate lives start getting married and having a sex life instead? :D (and burning flags and murdering ambassadors of course)
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes more sense that he did have a wife than not have one, especially as the bible is pretty hazy over most of his life, and there could be his descendents or at least from his family alive today as not much is recorded about brothers or sisters either.
    Forum Member
    HungerCult wrote: »
    Won't alter the fact that it's the single worst written work of fiction ever published (well a tie with everything else Dan Brown has ever penned).

What about 50 Shades? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she probably had a right go at him for turning water into wine and asking 5000 over for supper
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    HungerCult wrote: »
    The Bible or The DaVinci Code?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what, he was just a normal guy with a different outlook on life.
    Forum Member
    So what, he was just a normal guy with a different outlook on life.

That's how I think of him and I am a Christian (albeit not a very religious one). He was a carpenter's son who went around preaching a message of humility and love for one's neighbour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the idea up until now that he was celibate? Is that why ultra religious people are or are there other reasons?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a funny little torn piece of stuff. Looks like someone's grocery list!
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    What a funny little torn piece of stuff. Looks like someone's grocery list!

*Checks his pockets* Dammit it's mine :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's how I think of him and I am a Christian (albeit not a very religious one). He was a carpenter's son who went around preaching a message of humility and love for one's neighbour.

A not very religious Christian?

Thats like a not very illegal burglar:D
  • SpeedOfLightSpeedOfLight Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    How dare some American make such unfounded allegations about the Son of God! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've a good mind to go and set fire to the US Embassy in protest! Any Christian brothers and sisters want to join me?

I'd be careful what you say on public Internet forums. What you may say as a joke, others may take more seriously.
    Forum Member
    I'd be careful what you say on public Internet forums. What you may say as a joke, others may take more seriously.

Like GCHQ :D
  • SpeedOfLightSpeedOfLight Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like GCHQ :D

I heard they monitor all Internet communications, but have stayed away from DS, because they haven't been able to seperate fact from fiction here :D