Options

Ancient papyrus appear to suggest that Jesus had a wife

Comments

• Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure this has been on one of those there telly programmes before. Some time this year, I think. Odd, because it seems that they've just announced it.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I heard they monitor all Internet communications, but have stayed away from DS, because they haven't been able to seperate fact from fiction here :D

I'd well believe it :eek:
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Was the idea up until now that he was celibate? Is that why ultra religious people are or are there other reasons?
    No, I think it's just that nobody wants to shag them...
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    ianx wrote: »
    No, I think it's just that nobody wants to shag them...

If that's a case, I could claim to be Jesus reincarnated :o
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it would matter what evidence came about to these major religions.
  • Options
    Joanne yyJoanne yy Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be very surprised if he had a wife - I always thought he was gay :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am an atheist I don't believe in a god.

A man called Jesus, a thorn to Rome and the Jewish religion, a sort of rebel then it could be very possible and be married - in fact considering the times there was probably a lot of revolutionary leaders across the Ancient World when you consider the oppressive world of the Romans.

However if one was to accept their might have been a man living in ancient times called Jesus who was a rebel it's also very probable that he may have had more than one wife.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This, in turn, casts new doubt on the long-held belief that Jesus had no female disciples, and raises issues about Mary's biblical role as a sinner, the researchers said."
    If these so called researchers did some research, they would know that there is no reference in The Bible to Mary being a sinner:rolleyes:
    CatWolf wrote: »
    "more bronze aged arab area bollocks casts doubt on more bronze aged arab area bollocks shock"
    Bronze age?

Joanne yy wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if he had a wife - I always thought he was gay :D

Why?
  • Options
    hassanhassan Posts: 3,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    How dare some American make such unfounded allegations about the Son of God! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've a good mind to go and set fire to the US Embassy in protest! Any Christian brothers and sisters want to join me?

Welcome to the United States no fly list :)
  • Options
    JunipertJunipert Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been on one of those there telly programmes before. Some time this year, I think. Odd, because it seems that they've just announced it.

I wonder if they are part of those gnostic texts that were found in Egypt which the Coptic church there deem as heretical.
  • Options
    rose-whrose-wh Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, why is this news now? this is ancient history that jesus was probably married
  • Options
    SpeedOfLightSpeedOfLight Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hassan wrote: »
    Welcome to the United States no fly list :)

It's ok, we Brits have Blackpool and Brighton here. Who needs to leave and integrate :D
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not a good marriage i would hav thought. what with the miracles and the waking on water and the "i predict i'll die age 33" note to insurance company .......
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rose-wh wrote: »
    OK, why is this news now? this is ancient history that jesus was probably married

Is it? Why are they saying it raises debate over celibacy in christianity - isn't that why some people are celibate because they want to be like him?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it? Why are they saying it raises debate over celibacy in christianity - isn't that why some people are celibate because they want to be like him?

Celibacy comes from the Catholic Church and is purely financially motivated .Catholic Priests used to be able to marry and have kids at one point and then the church changed it several times.

It was Pope Pelagius who became worried about church property and money and wanted to protect it from inheritance claims from any sons ( daughters could not inherit at that time ) and he made all priests agree that any sons could not inherit Church property/money . Then Pope Gregory went a step further and declared all sons of priests illegitimate, daughters were allowed to remain legitimate as they could not inherit under the law at the time.

It was Pope Benedict VIII in 1022 who banned all marriages and mistresses for new priests joining the church and then later in 1139 Pope Innocent II went the whole hog and annulled any exisiting marriages of priests and any new priest joining had to divorce their wife sio that there could be no financial claim or dependancy on the church and so when a Priest died anything he had went to the church.

Then you have the modern day where celibacy is suppsoedly based upon Jesus whereas in fact it was the greed of the church.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes it is

debate can be raised at any time on anything, its not always on something that has now come to light
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Celibacy comes from the Catholic Church and is purely financially motivated .Catholic Priests used to be able to marry and have kids at one point and then the church changed it several times.

It was Pope Pelagius who became worried about church property and money and wanted to protect it from inheritance claims from any sons ( daughters could not inherit at that time ) and he made all priests agree that any sons could not inherit Church property/money . Then Pope Gregory went a step further and declared all sons of priests illegitimate, daughters were allowed to remain legitimate as they could not inherit under the law at the time.

It was Pope Benedict VIII in 1022 who banned all marriages and mistresses for new priests joining the church and then later in 1139 Pope Innocent II went the whole hog and annulled any exisiting marriages of priests and any new priest joining had to divorce their wife sio that there could be no financial claim or dependancy on the church and so when a Priest died anything he had went to the church.

Then you have the modern day where celibacy is suppsoedly based upon Jesus whereas in fact it was the greed of the church.

That's awful I can't believe people fell for that :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rose-wh wrote: »
    yes it is

debate can be raised at any time on anything, its not always on something that has now come to light

Oh didn't realise it was common knowledge. Maybe it's coming to light now so they can sell the papyrus - who knows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh didn't realise it was common knowledge. Maybe it's coming to light now so they can sell the papyrus - who knows.

:D

• Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    While I quite like to think that there was a Mrs. bar-Joseph, I don't see the connection to the role of women in Christianity...
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely as a good Jewish boy, he would be married?
  • Options
    JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he was. After all spending so much time hanging around with 12 other blokes all the time made me a tad suspicious.
    PS...Mohammed was all man!
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    It makes more sense that he did have a wife than not have one, especially as the bible is pretty hazy over most of his life

Only because a committee of editors decided which testaments made the final edition. You ought to look up the stuff that didn't make it..!

Which is why this new bit will be just as easily ignored by the religion leaders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    While I quite like to think that there was a Mrs. bar-Joseph, I don't see the connection to the role of women in Christianity...

Apparently he said something about Mary M being a disciple - when it was always assumed before that only men were disciples - hence men being considered more important tra la la etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently he said something about Mary M being a disciple - when it was always assumed before that only men were disciples - hence men being considered more important tra la la etc
    Yea i remember that bit, see its old news, lets not forget the mysogynistic patriarchals hijacked the jesus phenomenon and made it their own to carry on with their agenda