Rafa Benitez - Are Chelsea Fans Right?

Comments

• Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I can see that yeah many CFC fans might have misgivings about the appointment but there are ways of expressing this and poisoning the atmosphere at his first game is not the way!!

Go on phone ins, post in forums...etc. - behave in an adult way - but doing stuff at the ground during a game especialy before the team has even kicked a ball with him as manager is just a nonsense

Would it not be extremely hypocritical to do that?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not sure about that, it probably amounts to spending no more than the accrued interest on his personal fortune, he is hardly making himself skint by spending on chelsea

I don't know, according to the media and Forbes list, he's "only" worth £8 billion, and he's spent approaching £2 billion on Chelsea.
    But we all know that in Russia the "official" reports mean nothing, and perhaps it's tax deductable as charity donations ? :D
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the CFC fans were perfectly right to do what they did.

It was entirely understandable as far as I'm concerned.

My only reservation is if they keep doing it, as it might become counter-productive & it might affect Benitez's ability to motivate the players properly.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    I don't know, according to the media and Forbes list, he's "only" worth £8 billion, and he's spent approaching £2 billion on Chelsea.
    But we all know that in Russia the "official" reports mean nothing, and perhaps it's tax deductable as charity donations ? :D

dunno, im no expert on financial matters, but 2 billion spend over 9 years is an average of "only" 222million. Id imagine someone worth 8billion, who is still making many millions a year on top of that, is making many millions as interest on investments etc.... Im not denying he has spent a hell of a lot of money on the club, but im not totally sure he has lost any of his personal wealth in doing so.

Its not like he had 8billion under his mattress and has spent 2 billion of it, leaving only 6billion left. Im fairly sure he still has at least the 8billion under his bed
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Was one of the main reasons that you turned on Roy Hodgson not when he criticised the Liverpool fans? Thats what Rafa did to the Chelsea fans.

Was another reason you turned on RH not the poor defensive football you played? Rafa has a reputation for defensive football.

Regardless, its not whether they are right to boo Rafa its whether they have the right to make their feelings known.

RH and LFC was slightly different in that when he was having a go at LFC fans he was the LFC manager!!

Re defensive football - well at least let him have a few games before they decide hey - who knows what tactics he will employ - after all at CFC he does have a wealth of attacking talent with the likes of Oscar, Mata, Hazard ..etc so you (and they) may be pleasantly surprised

Yes they have the right to do whatever they want as it is a free country, I do not advocate them being put in prison for it :D, I just think it is embarassing and shows the CFC fans up.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    I'd think that if he is booed all season despite results then it would damage the reputation of Chelsea to other prospective managers, not that I care though. I'd think the fans were justified in showing they're displeasure at his appointment, but ultimately the blame should lay with the owner if they want to feel aggrieved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why do liverpool fans feel so protective of the man anyway? He isnt your manager anymore. To be frank its not really any of lfc fans concern how another club feels about him.

if you think chelsea fans feel the same about rafa as lfc fans might about alladyce then you are grossly misunderstanding the situation

Rafa has earned a lot of respect from us and so some of us feel we should defend him, he has no connection to any other English club but I wouldn't dream of suggesting that doesn't mean that others aren't entitled to express their opinions.

Tbh I can't really understand why it's OK for Man Utd fans such as yourself to suggest that it's not of our concern - surely it has even less to do with Utd :confused:
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Would it not be extremely hypocritical to do that?

No it would be the best way to help the team - when RH was LFC manager the discussions on LFC forums and
    phone ins were very anti him but that did not manifest itself very much during games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really feel this is all down to RA making sure everyone is fully aware of just who is the boss at Chelsea. Maybe he feels that things have been getting too out of control within the club lately and is using Rafa to take the emphasis off all the racism bits? Seems to have worked too.
    Forum Member
    RH and LFC was slightly different in that when he was having a go at LFC fans he was the LFC manager!!

Re defensive football - well at least let him have a few games before they decide hey - who knows what tactics he will employ - after all at CFC he does have a wealth of attacking talent with the likes of Oscar, Mata, Hazard ..etc so you (and they) may be pleasantly surprised

Yes they have the right to do whatever they want as it is a free country, I do not advocate them being put in prison for it :D, I just think it is embarassing and shows the CFC fans up.

Yes but the difference is Benitez has already done these things.

He has already said these things about Chelsea, its there for all to see.

His style of football is there for all to see too. I don't think he is going to suddenly change - he may well do but it would be a surprise, and you wouldn't give him the job based on him completely changing what he does.

It would be extremely hypocritical in my view, for Chelsea fans to genuinely feel aggrieved at his appointment but kid on every things ok in the stadium.
    Forum Member
    Dangerman wrote: »

Tbh I can't really understand why it's OK for Man Utd fans such as yourself to suggest that it's not of our concern - surely it has even less to do with Utd :confused:

oh i dont give a monkeys frankly, i just find it very funny that lfc seem to be so protective of the man. Why do you feel you have to defend him exactly? Surely he is a big enough boy to do that himself. He isnt part of your club, started the downfall of you as a league force and even had your captain questioning his decisions.

I just dont think any of you should be telling chelsea fans how they should be reacting in this instance. Its amatter for them and them alone
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was no booing of the team,

There was the normal songs about players, There was the normal songs as we have sung week in and week out. The only booing was when spy said Rafa's name which was a massive mistake when in the same sentence he was going to reveil that Dave Sexton had died (when most people would have not heard that news yet). Anyone with even the most basic knowledge of the game knew he was going to get booed so there was no need to do it when something more important needs saying. It was just fanning the flames (another sign of Chelsea's P.R skills).

If Spy had just came on to the pitch and said the news about Sexton it would have defused it but nope we go and score another own goal (the only goal of 90 odd mins)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh i dont give a monkeys frankly, i just find it very funny that lfc seem to be so protective of the man. Why do you feel you have to defend him exactly? Surely he is a big enough boy to do that himself. He isnt part of your club, started the downfall of you as a league force and even had your captain questioning his decisions.

I just dont think any of you should be telling chelsea fans how they should be reacting in this instance. Its amatter for them and them alone

We shouldn't be commenting but it's OK for you to tell us what to do !!! :rolleyes:

As I said above , we all have the right to express our opinions but also others have the right to disagree
    Forum Member
    We shouldn't be commenting but it's OK for you to tell us what to do !!! :rolleyes:

As I said above , we all have the right to express our opinions but also others have the right to disagree

im not telling you what to do, im doing the same as you. expressing an opinion that in my opinion its quite weird that you want to defend him so much. As ive said he isnt your manager, i dont get why you feel this big need to have to defend him. He isnt a little kid at school getting bullied. Its just a strange reaction, if anything youd think lfc fans would be a bit angered by his appointment considering so many of you seem to think the man is now liverpool through and through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im not telling you what to do, im doing the same as you. expressing an opinion that in my opinion its quite weird that you want to defend him so much. As ive said he isnt your manager, i dont get why you feel this big need to have to defend him. He isnt a little kid at school getting bullied. Its just a strange reaction, if anything youd think lfc fans would be a bit angered by his appointment considering so many of you seem to think the man is now liverpool through and through.

So in your opinion Liverpool fans shouldn't be commenting but it's perfectly OK for fans of other clubs to do so - don't think that's just a little bit hypocritical an opinion ?

Why shouldn't we defend him ? The man has earned our respect many times over and is being treated like crap - that is the decent thing to do and one that I would hope most supporters of other clubs would do for their own former employees.
    Having said that there are some Liverpool fans who are angered at Rafa going to Chelsea, I'm not sure who it was or which thread but I do recally someone quoting posts from LFC forums about such fans - such is their right and I will defend that right even if I completely disagree with them
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rafa is a defensive coach nothing wrong with that many managers have made a very good career of it. He is not going to change his ways just like that, Just as Wenger is not going to go out and spend millions and millions and Man Utd stop playing at 89 minutes or Jose going to become this reserved manager who speaks when spoke to, Next you be expecting Harry to keep his car window closed when driving to the training ground. Not attacking defense football at all FFS I doubt any team played more defense as Chelsea did during the semi's and final of the Champions League last season. But with the players we have at the moment it's not the right fit. Yes Roman and the board disagree and thats fine but the fans disgree and we never been ones for phone ins or online stuff bit too 2012 for us. We use too Ken Bates and Ken Bates would cut off the phones and get the internet closed down (he would bloody find away as well ha) so until he would ban us we would make our views in and around the ground
    Forum Member
    You see there is another factor here people - notice the number of MUFC fans on this thread broadly speaking on the CFC fans side - ask yourself why.

Imo it is cos MUFC fans hate Rafa too as he dared to stand up to SAF and so for that reason they are happy to perpetuate this kind of stuff - and also it destabilises CFC - all of which helps MUFCs cause, they must be loving all this as someone once said.

Maybe I should bow out and stop them having the pleasure.

Before I go tho - CFC fans? the quote about plastic flags which seemes to have upset you so much. A question - is it true? are plastic flags given out before CFC CL games? - cos I understand they often are and so what is your problem? - I doubt plastic flags would have to be given out at Anfield prior to a game - or Old Trafford for that matter. In fact as far as I know I am certain they never have been at either of those grounds - that is the point.
    Forum Member
    So in your opinion Liverpool fans shouldn't be commenting but it's perfectly OK for fans of other clubs to do so - don't think that's just a little bit hypocritical an opinion ?

it would be hypocritical if i was commenting on the same issue, im asking why lfc fans such as yourself feel this insatiable need to defend him though. There is a difference.
    Why shouldn't we defend him ? The man has earned our respect many times over and is being treated like crap - that is the decent thing to do and one that I would hope most supporters of other clubs would do for their own former employees.
    Defending any achievements the man had at your club i can understand. Defending him against how others dont want him at their club and telling those people how classless and stupid they are and also how "they dont know whats good for them" is a little weird and patronising frankly.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I (for one) didn't agree with all this clamour to be another Barcelona. I've said in the Chelsea thread, teams develope a style over years, decades. Trying to emulate another teams's style just won't work.
    Last season was different, we had an ageing team, a new manager who managed to alienate practically the entire team and completely lost the support of the players, problems on and off the pitch etc.
    But basically, we just needed to return to where we were a couple of seasons ago. It's not as if we played "bad" football..route one, hoofing the ball up to a big front man. We were a physical side, with some powerful players..but there was always plenty of class and quality as well.
    Though some may disagree. :)
    Forum Member
    You see there is another factor here people - notice the number of MUFC fans on this thread broadly speaking on the CFC fans side - ask yourself why.

Imo it is cos MUFC fans hate Rafa too as he dared to stand up to SAF and so for that reason they are happy to perpetuate this kind of stuff - and also it destabilises CFC - all of which helps MUFCs cause, they must be loving all this as someone once said.

Benitez didn't "stand up to SAF", its only Liverpool fans that think that. The vast majority of people thought be made an absolute fool of himself and it was a wonderful illustration that he was getting his excuses in early.

Personally id still have him as Liverpool manager and you have to ask yourself why that is.

I give my opinions on what he does and nothing more. I think some Liverpool fans have completely airbrushed his time at the club and the feelings for him by the time he left.

There also seems to be a hell of a lot more Liverpool fans going on about what a wonderful manager he is now than were wanting him back at Anfield when there was a vacancy in the summer.....
    Forum Member

now see, youre being silly there. There isnt exactly a "number of united fans" here, there are the odd few asking questions.

Ask yourself alan, and be honest, would you be happy if ferguson walked into anfield to take over tomorrow or would you be a little irate over how you feel he has been against you over the years?

Any lfc fan that pretends they would give him a chance i wont believe frankly. It would be the same as dalglish walking into old trafford. It wont happen and if it did no-one at either clubs would be happy and nor should they. But then im sure chelsea fans this time last week never entertained the thought that rafa would be walking into stamford bridge right now

and the thing is, only lfc fans seem to think united "hate" rafa, the vast majority dont at all. They laugh at him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it would be hypocritical if i was commenting on the same issue, im asking why lfc fans such as yourself feel this insatiable need to defend him though. There is a difference.

Defending any achievements the man had at your club i can understand. Defending him against how others dont want him at their club and telling those people how classless and stupid they are and also how "they dont know whats good for them" is a little weird and patronising frankly.

As I have explained already we have the same right as anyone to express our opinions, Rafa has earned our respect so it's only natural for many of us ( not all ) to defend him at times , some of the language used ( by both sides ) has been over emotive such as your own accusation of us being 'lovesick teenagers' in your supporters thread ( something I haven't been for the best part of 30 years ) , personally I have tried not to insult Chelsea fans directly and I think I have managed that while still maintaining the opinion that their actions were ill-conceived and counter-productive

P.S. If Fergie was to quit OT and come to Anfield You are right many would be furious but I would hope most of us would give him a chance as let's be honest he has been the most successful manager of the modern era and arguably of all time, decent supporters acknowledge that and would understand we were bringing in the best
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is wrong with fans voicing their opinions, for once I actually quite admire Chelsea fans, they are sticking up for what they believe in (en-mass it seems), and not just following the usual path of just accepting whomever the board (or in this case Roman) believes is corrwct for them.

It is good to see people voicing their opinions as a group, I can only commend it personally.
    Why should fans have to like a manager, that they don't like, why should they be forced to do just that?
    It makes no sense whatsoever, to be nice for niceness sake.

I say, support whom you like, and don't support whom you don't.

So on this very rare occassion I applaud those Chelsea fans, for daring to be different, and actually jave an opinion, well done.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe I should bow out and stop them having the pleasure.

Before I go tho - CFC fans? the quote about plastic flags which seemes to have upset you so much. A question - is it true? are plastic flags given out before CFC CL games? - cos I understand they often are and so what is your problem? - I doubt plastic flags would have to be given out at Anfield prior to a game - or Old Trafford for that matter. In fact as far as I know I am certain they never have been at either of those grounds - that is the point.

I can't speak for all United fans, but I can speak for myself & few that I know & I don't know any fans that hate Benitez.

We actually find him a figure of amusement & that is a FACT.:)
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh give over, Benitez was widely ridiculed for that silly rant, it wasn't standing up to him at all and made him look like a total arse.