Inside Claridge's...9pm..BBC2.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I take both your points but it still makes me angry especially when you see the obscene amounts people pay to stay there. Go to another part of London and there are people living on the streets because they can't afford to keep a home going. It just seems very unfair to me.
    Then You have the likes of MP's getting expenses that would keep a normal household going for a month..

I can't get angry about what other people do with their own money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I'm still wondering about this. Was the ants thing a big joke. Surely no one would eat ants. If my local cafe or pub served food with ants crawling over it , it would be closed down. Likewise if they served food on a bed of hay that would also happen.

If idiots want to spend thousands on a simple room , that it up to them, but why are we expected to think that Claridge's is a wonderful place to stay. What more do you need apart from a bed and a bathroom.

There are far better areas to stay in London. By the river in Richmond for instance
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take both your points but it still makes me angry especially when you see the obscene amounts people pay to stay there. Go to another part of London and there are people living on the streets because they can't afford to keep a home going. It just seems very unfair to me.
    Then You have the likes of MP's getting expenses that would keep a normal household going for a month..

If these rich people are to spend "obscene" amounts of money than I'd rather they did it in London rather than New York, Paris or Tokyo.

Yes, it's unfair but life is fundamentally an unfair experience.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tigermama wrote: »
    I can't get angry about what other people do with their own money.

Well I can when you have a president of a country we give aid to and he takes over a whole floor at this hotel with his aids , it makes me very angry especially when there is such a terrible lack of help for the people from their government when they are dying of hunger.

If all the others have earned their money honestly, yes they have a right to spend it how they like, I would be the first to admit that.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble is, we don't know if the Malawians stay was comped. After all he was probably part of his country's Olympic delegation.

However, if not it is quite shocking that he would pay such ridiculous amounts and probably out of State money rather than personal (although again that could be argued).
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hsellors wrote: »
    Eaxactly, You can't compare rich people spending lots of money to people who receive little money. If a person pays their taxes they can spend their money on what they like. The amount I've spent on presents this year is more than a pensioner gets in 2 weeks and double a meal at Numa but its my money that I've earned so I'm not going to feel bad about it.

Some of the rich people featured are so rich that couldn't possibly spend all their money (without giving large chunks away) so the price of the room is irrelevant. Even in these times of low interest rates maybe some earn more in their sleep than the room costs.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    If these rich people are to spend "obscene" amounts of money than I'd rather they did it in London rather than New York, Paris or Tokyo.

Yes, it's unfair but life is fundamentally an unfair experience.

I agree with you and also that those people who are angry at the obscene amount of money being spend at Claridges could compare themselves to really poor people abroad or in the UK who have nowhere to live or no clean water to drink.

They may be wondering how we can justify sitting in our warm homes with our wifi and Television sets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I agree with you and also that those people who are angry at the obscene amount of money being spend at Claridges could compare themselves to really poor people abroad or in the UK who have nowhere to live or no clean water to drink.

They may be wondering how we can justify sitting in our warm homes with our wifi and Television sets.

This is true - we would all be classified as being part of the world's richest 1%, sobering to think that.

I don't care what people do with their money, once it's earned fair and square they can do whatever they want with it.

The likes of Mr President husband Banda of Malawi (son of the last President, now husband of the new one), one of the world's poorest states living it large is disgusting.
    As is Pres. Bongo of Gabon - a country so rich in oil and gas that it's people should have a better standard of living than all of us but who remain dirt poor as the Bongo family rape their country.
    Sickening leeches and commonly murderers and torturers.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't quite understand how this:
    I don't care what people do with their money, once it's earned fair and square they can do whatever they want with it.

is compatible with this:
    The likes of Mr President husband Banda of Malawi (son of the last President, now husband of the new one), one of the world's poorest states living it large is disgusting.
    As is Pres. Bongo of Gabon - a country so rich in oil and gas that it's people should have a better standard of living than all of us but who remain dirt poor as the Bongo family rape their country.

What is the difference between Pres Banda and Pres Bongo and all the other leeches who go to Claridges? What makes you think that they have earned their money "fair and square"? How many of them have ever done an honest day's work in their lives? Very few is my guess. If they had worked hard for their money they would not throw it away in Claridges.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »

is compatible with this:

What is the difference between Pres Banda and Pres Bongo and all the other leeches who go to Claridges? What makes you think that they have earned their money "fair and square"? How many of them have ever done an honest day's work in their lives? Very few is my guess. If they had worked hard for their money they would not throw it away in Claridges.

It's not hard to understand is it?
    Clearly says earned fair and square.
    Your guess doesn't have any factual basis, you don't know what their guests do or don't do for a living, I suspect they don't either.

Your definition of 'throw it away' is another person's definition of value for money.
    Warren Buffet considers buying new cars as 'throwing it away' he buys second hand cars that have had minor accidents.

One of my ex-bosses used to gamble away thousands at the Ritz getting out of his nut until the early hours, including Lambos, Bentley's and Porsches, he'd still be in the Office at 6 or 7 in the morning sorting out the trucks and doing deals.

OK I'm out of this thread, taken the sheen off the program for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    What is the difference between Pres Banda and Pres Bongo and all the other leeches who go to Claridges?

Bongo died in 2009.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So anyone with a warm home & a TV is "among the worlds richest 1%? really (post 534)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    So anyone with a warm home & a TV is "among the worlds richest 1%? really (post 534)

About 1% of the world's population lives in Britain. I did not know that we were richer than everyone else.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 1% of the world's population lives in Britain. I did not know that we were richer than everyone else.

We're not there are 22 countries richer than us but we are richer than 158 other countries

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-database/economic-data/11934-richest-poorest-countries.html#axzz2FaZbmVog
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    I'm still wondering about this. Was the ants thing a big joke. Surely no one would eat ants. If my local cafe or pub served food with ants crawling over it , it would be closed down. Likewise if they served food on a bed of hay that would also happen.

It's not a joke they really did serve it! It's cultural though, I don't know whether Norwegans eat ants or Numa are just being controversial but in places like China life insects to eat are considered a treat, chicken feet, snakes, dogs, cats, sparrows, cow lung and

"Thousand-year-old eggs, a Guangdong delicacy, are made from duck eggs coated with lime, ashes and mud and soaked in horse urine for 100 days until the yolks turns green and the whites become gelatinous and dark brown."

After my work do last night and a hangover just reading that makes me want to be sick.....

Makes an ant sounds quite appetising!!!
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    We're not there are 22 countries richer than us but we are richer than 158 other countries

http://www.gfmag.com/tools/global-database/economic-data/11934-richest-poorest-countries.html#axzz2FaZbmVog

? No Bermuda? Not lumped with GB, surely.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a great little series that was! I expected to watch it fuming and railing at the extravagant consumption but ended up beguiled and now wanting to either have tea there or save up and get a room! Does it have a bar that you can just wander in off the street and buy a half of lager?
    Forum Member

is compatible with this:

There is a world of difference.
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    Bongo died in 2009.

Yes, succeeded by his son, Ali ben Bongo!
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »

Edit: 10%!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a world of difference.

OK then what is it?

1) Who says that the African leaders did not get their money fair and square? It was certainly given to them legally according the laws of their countries. They were spending money as representatives of their countries and it is probably considered an important part of the prestige of the country that the leader travels in style.

2) Who says that all of the frequent guests at Claridges earned their money fair and square? We saw the friend of the Krays and the Tate & Lyle sugar big wig. No doubt others are bankers and market speculators and profiteers. I doubt if many of them would really bear too much ethical scrutiny.

There has been big re-distribution of wealth in this country since 1979 with the people in the middle rather worse off but the top 1% a great deal better off.
    Forum Member
    OK then what is it?

1) Who says that the African leaders did not get their money fair and square? It was certainly given to them legally according the laws of their countries. They were spending money as representatives of their countries and it is probably considered an important part of the prestige of the country that the leader travels in style.

2) Who says that all of the frequent guests at Claridges earned their money fair and square? We saw the friend of the Krays and the Tate & Lyle sugar big wig. No doubt others are bankers and market speculators and profiteers. I doubt if many of them would really bear too much ethical scrutiny.

There has been big re-distribution of wealth in this country since 1979 with the people in the middle rather worse off but the top 1% a great deal better off.

1. The two discussed didn't. Fullstop.

2. Nobody can know if everyone else that visits Claridge's earned their money fair and square - I've already alluded to that.

Back on topic:
    Ants!
  • Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, succeeded by his son, Ali ben Bongo!

Does he do magic.?:D
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member

Who supports and keeps bongo family to power? Who gives them aid (bribary)? Which oil companies pay them to operate there? I always wonder who is worse the people being bribed and corrupted or the people using them? Because get rid of that family and another will be put in their place
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching Art Deco Icons on BBC4 which is about Claridges - you might be interested in this if you saw the series. It is repeated at 1.30 in the morning (early Tuesday)