Options

Barca manager steps down

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone living with someone in the very same situation (my dad is having a very similar operation today), I can understand what this is like for his family, and can only wish him all the best.
    It is a very tough situation, and one that I hope that he comes through in as best of health as is possible.
    My thoughts are with him.

Fingers crossed for you dad and Vilanova.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeh all the best bats
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Shocked by this, terrible news. Like many others here I had no idea he had previous health concerns, hopefully he can return as Barcelona manager in the future if that's what he would like to do.

Best wishes also to your dad batdude.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    terrible news, and best wishes to both him and batdude's dad
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On an almost irrelevant footballing note, I do like the way Barcelona have this conveyor belt of continuity on both playing and coaching side, all promoting from within and keeping it local.
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    On an almost irrelevant footballing note, I do like the way Barcelona have this conveyor belt of continuity on both playing and coaching side, all promoting from within and keeping it local.

Best wishes to Tito... illness is rarely nice.

But to your point, I agree... does Tito's success.. and the potential success of the guy who replaces him (deliberately avoided the correct word there!) diminish what Pep did... is it the players, system which Rijkaard set in place or is Tito also amazing?
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »

They seem to have the same approach as Liverpool did in the 1970's and 80's with the boot room with Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan and Kenny Dalglish all being named managers from within. It obviously works as Liverpool won 13 League titles and 4 European Cups under the managers above and Barcelona have become arguably the greatest club side ever.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    it just shows the benefit of having a good system in place. there's so much said (mainly disparagingly) in this country about the "continental structure", but Barca's is probably the perfect example, with a director of fotball, a youth system that ultimately feeds into the first team, and then the same on the coaching side. it ensures that, as much as possible, everything isn't dependent on one person, and things can continue when someone decides to move on. it confirms the oft-repeated mantra that no one person is bigger than the club.

but this shouldn't take away from ANYONE'S achievements. if the players are no good, then it's all falls down, and the same goes for management. this idea that anyone could've just walked into the void left by Guardiola is a complete nonsense.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news :(. I hope he recovers and is back next Summer.

He has been excellent this season, picked the right players, rotated the squad, given plenty of youngsters a chance. Win ratio of 85% is quite an achievement.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best wishes to all concerned.

Talk of a returning Pep to hold the fort for his good friend
  • Options
    Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best wishes to Tito and Batdude's dad.

Can't believe this has happened to him. He and Barca have been flying this season.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said on the previous page,I would jyst like to thank all of the well wishers on her, it does mean a lot.
    At the end of the day we are all human, rich, or poor, an illness knows no different.
    So it could happen to anyone at anytime.

All the best to Tito, and to his family and friends.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    sad news..

hope he recovers soon.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to update, my dad has come back, they drilled into his head, and removed a few things, but apart from being groggy and tired, he is fine, so that is good, so once again many thanks for the well wishes, they were most welcome.

I can only hope and pray that a similar positive outcome happens for Tito.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to update, my dad has come back, they drilled into his head, and removed a few things, but apart from being groggy and tired, he is fine, so that is good, so once again many thanks for the well wishes, they were most welcome.

How is your dad long term? Are you optimistic his cancer can be cleared?

Hoping the best for both tito and your dad.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member

I can only hope and pray that a similar positive outcome happens for Tito.

Good news that your Dad's operation went well i hope he makes a full recovery and gets plenty of rest, like you said lets hope Tito gets well too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    As someone living with someone in the very same situation (my dad is having a very similar operation today), I can understand what this is like for his family, and can only wish him all the best.
    It is a very tough situation, and one that I hope that he comes through in as best of health as is possible.

Best of luck to you and you and your dad batdude
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best wishes to your dad batdude.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Best wishes to your dad batdude

On Tito he will have an operation Thursday, rest for 3-4 days then chemo for 6 weeks after that he might be back in charge according to guillem balague
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member

I hope all goes well with your dads op today. Having lost my mum to the dreaded C, I can understand how worried you must be. Stay strong.

Thoughts are with the Barca manager too :(
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    jackyork wrote: »
    Best wishes to Vilanova and your Dad.

Can only echo this - perhaps especially Bats Dad as Bats is someone we all come across almost daily on here, Vilanova whilst no less deserving obviously is someone we have no personal contact with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can only echo this - perhaps especially Bats Dad as Bats is someone we all come across almost daily on here, Vilanova whilst no less deserving obviously is someone we have no personal contact with.

Well put , Alan .

Best wishes to you Bat .
  • Options
    denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does it say hes stepping down? havent seen that reported by BBC yet?

All the best to him anyway, looks like a good coach in the making.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    dend wrote: »
    Where does it say hes stepping down? havent seen that reported by BBC yet?

All the best to him anyway, looks like a good coach in the making.

They said for the remainder of the season in the first report. The latest seems to be suggesting the op is now tomorrow morning and he will have chemo and radiotherapy after that and just see where he is then.

He will be out of action for a fair whack of time i would expect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news for Vilanova and all the best to Batdude.