Proof of Fraud

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, just thought I would politely update on the whole situation (no advice needed, just a bit of closure!)

1. My money was refunded by the bank last week, trust me I'm more surprised than anyone by this!

2. The bank wasn't very helpful in giving me further information, I rang the two main companies myself. The game console one was very helpful, it was actually a good thing I rang, the account was still active and I may of lost more money! The other company was more than useless but there we go.

3. Due to chat with game's company, and some more digging of my own, I finally had the full proof I needed. The person I suspected finally confessed. They will be spoken to by the police and very likely given a formal caution, they have already written a letter of apology and with the help of SS and others hopefully it won't go to court. I think this person needs more help in getting to the root of their problems and why they need to do this rather than a case of lock 'em up.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, now it's time for me to try and move on and re-build trust. That will be very difficult but I don't believe in holding on to anger, eventually it makes you a bitter person who can't trust anyone.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    ignore - failed to read your update!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    ignore - failed to read your update!

It's ok, I expected that to happen! Kind of feel bad, some people will read through the whole thing, but no point making a new thread just to say thanks is there :p.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    I phoned up the gaming company where the money had been spent and they gave me some information that was certainly a better back-up when speaking to the police.

That's interesting. A few years ago, an Ebay scammer used my mum's bank account to spend £2000 on a gaming site. When her bank contacted the gaming site, they couldn't say who had done it because of some customer privacy rule.
  • Colin HuntColin Hunt Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    If you have reasonable suspicion let the police and the bank do the investigating. You're not scooby doo. Let them do the work.

^^^ This!

Reply of the year, btw Mustabuster :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin Hunt wrote: »
    ^^^ This!

Reply of the year, btw Mustabuster :D

In hindsight, the only way to get any sort of information was to play "scooby doo". It may be funny, but it's also a sad state of affairs where the only way to can get the police to do anything is find evidence yourself before proceeding with a complaint.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    That's interesting. A few years ago, an Ebay scammer used my mum's bank account to spend £2000 on a gaming site. When her bank contacted the gaming site, they couldn't say who had done it because of some customer privacy rule.

I had the same problem with the other company I rang, they didn't seem interested at all that it was fraud or the implications it had on them. Some companies are wonderful, with others it's like pulling teeth!
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    It may be funny, but it's also a sad state of affairs where the only way to can get the police to do anything is find evidence yourself before proceeding with a complaint.

The police are entirely blameless here - you didn't register a formal complaint with them, so they were in no position to investigate.

Instead, you chose to look for proof yourself, as you mentioned several times earlier in the thread ... :
    I'm asking whether I should look myself for more solid proof or should I wait it out until the bank comes back to me about what's going on.
    I rang the non-emergency number just to see how the whole thing would be dealt with, I want them to deal with the person who did it, I would just rather be solid proof first!
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the police, who offered to charge the person I suspect, however I do not feel comfortable with this with basically nothing to go on.

Leave it to the police (more correctly, the CPS) to decide if there is enough evidence to charge them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right I'm not getting back into an argument here - the police told me they probably couldn't do anything with the evidence or suspicions I had originally and to come back to them when I knew more. I am not blaming the police, the bank or anyone, the fact is it now has and is being dealt with. I just wanted to say thanks for the previous advice and leave it at that.