FA Cup 4th Round TV picks

1151617181921»

Comments

• jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRS wrote: »
    Just watching the highlights, which has so far been punctuated with two lengthy breaks populated purely with ITV trailers.

Can't understand them starting with the Oldham game. A lot of people will have watched this live and will not have access to ESPN, so will be watching this show to see the 2 other games. Just can't understand their thinking. I don't agree with a lot of the criticism ITV football receives, but I do think they cut their own throat sometimes.

They probably started with the Oldham game, as it was the biggest upset of the day.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching the highlights, which has so far been punctuated with two lengthy breaks populated purely with ITV trailers.

Can't understand them starting with the Oldham game. A lot of people will have watched this live and will not have access to ESPN, so will be watching this show to see the 2 other games. Just can't understand their thinking. I don't agree with a lot of the criticism ITV football receives, but I do think they cut their own throat sometimes.

So that people keep watching to the end, rather than switching off halfway through the show once they've seen the games not live on ITV.
  • TRSTRS Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    So that people keep watching to the end, rather than switching off halfway through the show once they've seen the games not live on ITV.

To be fair that probably is their thinking, but if I didn't have a day off tomorrow I would have switched off and gone to bed!
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member

That's why I'm recording it. ITV's highlights are never worth watching live to be honest. Heck, had I been watching live I'd have been getting frustrated at them having ad breaks every 10mins (less actually, I'd imagine) at 1 stage.
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know we have the benefit of hindsight

BUT

1 What a fantastic day for the TV Companies on Sunday

IF they had picked Brighton v Arsenal on Saturday they would almost have had the perfect set !!!!
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Judio wrote: »
    I know we have the benefit of hindsight

BUT

IF they had picked Brighton v Arsenal on Saturday they would almost have had the perfect set !!!!

Swap Stoke vs. City for Norwich vs. Luton and United vs. Fulham for Brighton vs. Arsenal and it would have been perfect!
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,462
    Forum Member
    When do the picks for the 5th round get decided?
  • Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member

I suppose there's a short-term gain from the upsets - people tuning in when they hear that a Premier League team is losing to lower league opposition - but I doubt ITV and ESPN are that chuffed that Liverpool and Spurs are now out. Liverpool in particular get good ratings.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Li4m wrote: »
    I suppose there's a short-term gain from the upsets - people tuning in when they hear that a Premier League team is losing to lower league opposition - but I doubt ITV and ESPN are that chuffed that Liverpool and Spurs are now out. Liverpool in particular get good ratings.

Man City & Man Utd met in Round 3 last year followed by Liverpool v Man Utd in Round 4 so its hardly unusual for big teams to exit early. As long as they all do not exit early, its fine & normal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »
    When do the picks for the 5th round get decided?

They normally drip feed them as follows

Tuesday Replays

Wednesday ITV pick

Thursday Remainder

But this time the Replay picks will affect the fifth round matches so dont expect anyhing soon;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come Man U always get pulled out with another Premier League team

Is that to guarantee a TV appearance ??
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's called a draw...

(and anyway they don't always)
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Swap Stoke vs. City for Norwich vs. Luton and United vs. Fulham for Brighton vs. Arsenal and it would have been perfect!

They couldn't have predicted Luton beating Norwich (or even it being that competitive a game) so you can't blame them for not picking it. The Brighton v Arsenal game on the other hand always looked like a good tie, even if it had been Brighton v Swansea. If the TV picks were purely made on merit and what would likely see the best games then the Brighton game would have been chosen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    It's called a draw...

(and anyway they don't always)

http://www.redmancunian.com/2013/01/27/united-once-again-draw-premier-league-opposition-in-the-fa-cup/

The draw continues a remarkable run of United’s last 7 FA Cup ties all being against Premier League opposition – (Reading, Fulham, West Ham, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester City and Arsenal). :D:D
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man City and Arsenal were in the semi final and quarter final respectively. If you go that far in the competition it's always likely you're going to get a Premier League side (indeed for the semi-final it was impossible not to.)

The rest is just down to luck really, although I guess there's often a decent proportion of the draw that are Premier League teams, particularly as the rounds go on.

And in any case, it would often be more appealing for tv if they were drawn against a non premier league team, certainly away from home (barring draws like Man Utd V Man City obviously.) ITV didn't choose Man Utd V Fulham as their first choice but had it been Sheffield United V Man Utd they might well have done so.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    Leicester v Huddersfield is confirmed as a 7.30pm kickoff live on ESPN on Tuesday February 12th.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there still is a chance that ITV will now ignore Chelsea v Brentford ??
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well there still is a chance that ITV will now ignore Chelsea v Brentford ??

No that will be their replay on Sunday 17th
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just expect to have to wait a bit longer for the Chelsea v Brentford announcement as the 5th round picks complicate matters with regards to the kick off time.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably started with the Oldham game, as it was the biggest upset of the day.

Yes, and it's not that much different to Match of the Day starting with the match that has been live on Sky - different channels, maybe, but it would still have had about two million viewers. Highlights shows have to work on their own merits, many in the audience might have been out all day and not seen any of the matches.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.redmancunian.com/2013/01/27/united-once-again-draw-premier-league-opposition-in-the-fa-cup/

The draw continues a remarkable run of United’s last 7 FA Cup ties all being against Premier League opposition – (Reading, Fulham, West Ham, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester City and Arsenal). :D:D

I would find it quite amusing, for Man Utd, to be sent to a non league or lower league side, on a lovely bobbly pitch, and see how there superstars take to that