Comments

• Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    Package #1: All matches of the respective national team
    Package #2: 20 first-pick matches, excluding games from package 1
    Package #3: All other matches
    How does that work for the UK and Ireland? There's no such thing as a "respective national team" in that context.

Do we assume there were five versions of package 1, of which ITV took one and Sky the rest, ITV took package 2 and Sky package 3?

But then it's further complicated because Sky will show England games away to another Home Nation, but not Home Nation games away to England (although maybe they will, but the emphasis was simply put on England).
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that there are three different live packages for each territory.

Package #1: All matches of the respective national team
    Package #2: 20 first-pick matches, excluding games from package 1
    Package #3: All other matches

That's more or less what L'Equipe reported last year (although they mentioned 24 matches for #2).

The European Broadcasting Union has acquired Package #1 for 30 countries. This contract excludes the most important markets (UK, GER, ESP, FRA, ITA, RUS, NED) but it includes the Republic of Ireland, so RTE will be able to show all of Ireland's matches.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/events/marketing/media-rights-and-services/news/newsid=1939716.html

Wouldn't that mean that ITV could cherry-pick Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland matches as there "20 first pick matches"?
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My interpretation is that ITV simply bought Package #1 for England, while Sky bought it for the other home nations.

As for Package #2, there might be a special agreement between ITV, Sky, and UEFA to avoid ITV showing the other home nations. Otherwise, Sky's package would have been severely devaluated.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that mean that ITV could cherry-pick Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland matches as there "20 first pick matches"?
    That's why I think there's five "package 1s" for the UK and ROI. Otherwise, as you say, ITV would lay claim to other Home Nation games in their package of 20.

Unless there's one, that includes all the relevant games, and ITV and Sky split it up amongst themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    That's why I think there's five "package 1s" for the UK and ROI. Otherwise, as you say, ITV would lay claim to other Home Nation games in their package of 20.

Unless there's one, that includes all the relevant games, and ITV and Sky split it up amongst themselves.

To be fair, there's nothing to say exclusive on Sky's home nations deal. This means we could well see a share of away games again & highlights etc.

Also, I'm impressed with that ITV deal, if they are 20 'top pick matches'. This could put viewers in for a few treats if they don't clash. Presumably ITV can choose games that don't, as first pick would be their choice?
  • KNs47KNs47 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    clinch wrote: »
    Surely it's up to the Scottish FA to decide whether the games have to be shown FTA.

Previously, it was the SFA, but this is the first deal where UEFA have collectively sold the rights.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »

Yep, see what you mean.

It remains a very good deal for ITV - there could be some very tasty games involving Germany / Holland / Spain etc that they can show.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Just as I correctly predicted when it was announced that the rights were to be centralised. Next to impossible for the BBC to buy UEFA International qualifiers.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a very good deal for ITV- if the 20 games are "first pick" then this means that they have the chance to show a crucial game in England's group or in the top sides earlier on in the competition.

As for Sky- I don't see them covering every game live (San Marino vs Finland or similar anyone?) only showing the home nations, top nations and vital group games.
  • samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    This is a very good deal for ITV- if the 20 games are "first pick" then this means that they have the chance to show a crucial game in England's group or in the top sides earlier on in the competition.

As for Sky- I don't see them covering every game live (San Marino vs Finland or similar anyone?) only showing the home nations, top nations and vital group games.

Couple of considerations....

UEFA's "week of football" plan will probably be implemented by then. This means international games being staggered over a Thursday to Tuesday period rather than all on a Friday and all on a Tuesday as is currently configured.

This will ensure Sky can show a couple of games every night over that six day period, utilising the red button should they wish / need to.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My interpretation is that ITV simply bought Package #1 for England, while Sky bought it for the other home nations.

As for Package #2, there might be a special agreement between ITV, Sky, and UEFA to avoid ITV showing the other home nations. Otherwise, Sky's package would have been severely devaluated.

Yes, I'm sure you're right.

They've obviously got to what makes commercial sense (ie re other Home Nations) - whether by agreement between ITV and Sky or whether it was laid out in the tender.

But it doesn't really matter. It's clear what the end result is and it makes sense for ITV and Sky:

1) ITV get all England games

2) Sky continue with other home nations but add Scotland away qualifiers (and sometimes in the past they didn't show every away qualifier for the likes of NI and ROI).

3) Nothing for BT which will obviously please Sky.

Worth noting that Sky has still only lost one rights contract to BT - the Aviva Premiership secondary package (if Premier League is considered separate - ie Sky has retained as many games as it could subject to "pick changes").

These qualifiers aren't really key content for Sky but they are still useful for bolstering the schedule and in particular the Scotland rights are important in that part of the UK. So I think Sky will be pleased to avoid any possible loss to BT here.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    samburrows wrote: »

UEFA's "week of football" plan will probably be implemented by then. This means international games being staggered over a Thursday to Tuesday period rather than all on a Friday and all on a Tuesday as is currently configured.

This will ensure Sky can show a couple of games every night over that six day period, utilising the red button should they wish / need to.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/events/marketing/media-rights-and-services/news/newsid=1939716.html

Well according to the uefa link, they're implementing from Euro 2016 qualifiers.
    UEFA also took the opportunity at Soccerex to provide more details of the 'Week of Football' concept for the European qualifiers for UEFA EURO 2016 and the 2018 FIFA World Cup, with matches taking place from Thursday to Tuesday. Kick-off times will be largely set at 18.00CET and 20.45CET on Saturdays and Sundays and 20.45CET for Thursdays, Fridays, Mondays and Tuesdays. On double-header matchweeks, teams will play on Thursday and Sunday or Friday and Monday or Saturday and Tuesday.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samburrows wrote: »

They could do but I don't see a reason for Sky to be showing rather meaningless games between lower ranked sides- it doesn't make sense financially for them.

On Sky Sports News they stated that they would show "up to" 500 games so that would suggest they'll show the majority of the games but not all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WC 2014 European qualifying:

8 groups of 6 = 8 * 30 = 240 games

1 group of 5 = 20 games

4 play-offs = 8 games

Total = 268 games

For two qualifying tournaments likely to be just over 500 games.

So Sky not really telling us anything other than that they are showing "up to" all the games they have the rights for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Per Media Guardian:

Under the deal, ITV will also show 20 matches on ITV4. It will be allowed to show 10 games from other nations across each qualifying competition, getting the first pick of all matches not involving the home nations or Ireland for the first eight matchdays and second pick behind Sky on the climactic ninth and 10th.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/14/itv-rights-england-qualifiying-matches
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KNs47 wrote: »
    Previously, it was the SFA, but this is the first deal where UEFA have collectively sold the rights.

But as far as I am aware individual associations could continue to sell their own if they so wished. I seem to remember the FA had to decide whether they wanted to go along the collective route. I agree it's not good for fans of the other home nations that the matches are on pay tv, but isn't the SFA's current deal also with Sky, suggesting it's the football authority that's at fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    But as far as I am aware individual associations could continue to sell their own if they so wished. I seem to remember the FA had to decide whether they wanted to go along the collective route.

I think every single association did switch to central selling - from memory I think reports suggested the English FA was the last (or one of the last) to agree to do so.
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    I think every single association did switch to central selling - from memory I think reports suggested the English FA was the last (or one of the last) to agree to do so.

That's what I thought. The individual associations could have sold their own if they so wished and they could have restricted the rights to free-to-air television.
  • Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the non-home nations games on ITV4 include the Republic of Ireland?
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoenix04 wrote: »
    Do the non-home nations games on ITV4 include the Republic of Ireland?
    No, it doesn't those games are exclusive to Sky. As far as Sky are concerned Ireland are a home nation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we think Sky would show all the games they have the rights to via the red button like their Champions League coverage? If they have bought the rights and have the feeds available they may as well.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, many of these games over International weekends are at the same time, so there would be enough channels to show them all on Sky, probably not even on the red button.
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matchday 1:
    19:45 Thursday
    19:45 Friday
    17:00, 19:45 Saturday
    Matchday 2:
    17:00, 19:45 Sunday
    19:45 Monday
    19:45 Tuesday

That's four kick-off times (and possibly earlier games in Armenia, Azerbaijan etc.) for a typical matchday of 20 games, only five matches per slot.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KNs47 wrote: »
    Absolute disgrace that all Scotland's qualifying matches will behind a paywalll. The half way house of home matches on Sky and away matches on BBC should have been maintained. And, why are the English home matches being shown FTA, if this is first central negotiation for the rights? Independence can't come quick enough for this type of bias to end!

We can't wait either you can watch Scotland all by yourselves as we don't want to :cool:

Just the losing highlights. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matchday 1:
    19:45 Thursday
    19:45 Friday
    17:00, 19:45 Saturday
    Matchday 2:
    17:00, 19:45 Sunday
    19:45 Monday
    19:45 Tuesday

That's four kick-off times (and possibly earlier games in Armenia, Azerbaijan etc.) for a typical matchday of 20 games, only five matches per slot.

Yes - will probably be set up so Scot, Wal, NI, ROI never play in same slot so Sky get to show all with no clashes.

Obviously one must clash with Eng - probably set up to be NI or ROI.

This will actually be quite a good improvement for Sky - usually at moment vast majority of Sky's games clash with Eng on ITV.