Forum Member
    Lee Marvin.
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Jack Lemmon.

Also agree Stanley Tucci is excellent.
  • Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    Nice to see you mention some of my favourite actresses, I haven't mentioned mine because I am old fashioned enough not to refer to actresses as "Actors"

My all time favourite actress is Barbara Stanwyck. I fell in love with her when I saw My Reputation in 1946, and have loved her ever since. I have 87of her 88 films, all of her TV series, interviews, and even recordings of private phone calls.

I finally met her at The Lincoln Centre, New York in 1981, and she was just as wonderful as I always knew she would be.

I have a big framed blow up of us together with our arms around each other on that unforgettable evening, when her home town paid tribute to her and her 50 years in films.

I run what I consider the best tribute group to her at:

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/MissBarbaraStanwyck

You can find everything you would ever want to know about her here, plus over 9000 photo's including some of my own personal photo's.

I also met another two names on your list, Bette Davis and Joan Fontaine, and both occasions were equally memorable. :)

Wow Walter, I'm impressed. What fantastic memories.
    So spill the beans....were you in "the business"?

You havent by any chance met Sophia Loren have you? The most beautiful woman in the world, and a very underrated actress I think:)
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Paul Schofield.
    Rod Stieger
    Kenneth Branagh
    Yul Bryner
    Marlon Brando
    Paul Newman

I read the top name to quickly and thought you put down Philip schofield:eek::D
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have two- Al Pacino and Ralph Fiennes.
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Ian Richardson.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see you mention some of my favourite actresses, I haven't mentioned mine because I am old fashioned enough not to refer to actresses as "Actors"

My all time favourite actress is Barbara Stanwyck. I fell in love with her when I saw My Reputation in 1946, and have loved her ever since. I have 87of her 88 films, all of her TV series, interviews, and even recordings of private phone calls.

I finally met her at The Lincoln Centre, New York in 1981, and she was just as wonderful as I always knew she would be.

I have a big framed blow up of us together with our arms around each other on that unforgettable evening, when her home town paid tribute to her and her 50 years in films.

I run what I consider the best tribute group to her at:

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/MissBarbaraStanwyck

You can find everything you would ever want to know about her here, plus over 9000 photo's including some of my own personal photo's.

I also met another two names on your list, Bette Davis and Joan Fontaine, and both occasions were equally memorable. :)

I think I have spoken to you before about actresses Walter. :cool: You have met some legends there .... what wonderful memories you must have. :)
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,713
    Forum Member
    Humphrey Bogart followed by Robert De Niro
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cary Grant.
  • haggy-mehaggy-me Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gene Kelly and Michael J. Fox.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    I think I have spoken to you before about actresses Walter. :cool: You have met some legends there .... what wonderful memories you must have. :)

Yes, I consider myself very fortunate to be old enough when all those fabulous actresses were still around.

Deborah Kerr, although never one of my favourites, was certainly the nicest actress that I ever met, inviting a crowd of us into her theatre dressing room where she posed for photo's and signed autographs. She was also quite stunning when I met her, and she was over 50 at that time.
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walter, your stories are fascinating. I can't begin to say how much I envy you getting to meet the likes of Betty Davies. Amazing! :)
    Forum Member
    Walter, your stories are fascinating. I can't begin to say how much I envy you getting to meet the likes of Betty Davies. Amazing! :)

That's the compensation for being so old, and I hate to nit pick, but it is Bette Davis. ;)
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the compensation for being so old, and I hate to nit pick, but it is Bette Davis. ;)

I love your tales about these Golden Hollywood queens too.
    What was Bette Davis like? She's my queen from that era.
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gene Hackman.

He is one of my all time favourite actors along with De Niro and Leonard De Caprio.

The late Natalie Wood and Grace Kelly - two screen icons
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    I love your tales about these Golden Hollywood queens too.
    What was Bette Davis like? She's my queen from that era.

She was great, didn't take herself too seriously, and told some great stories. I have told this before, but it is worth repeating. The first time I saw her was in 1971 at The National Film Theatre. I plucked up the courage to ask her a question, and Joan Bakewell who was the interviewer asked me to stand up. I was quaking in my shoes when I asked her if she had ever wanted to Direct.

She fixed me with a gimlet stare, and then snapped, "NO!" after what seemed like an age, she continued, "I am so passionate about what I do, I can just imagine that I would come in screaming like a banshee yelling, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!" she then went on, "But I would have liked to have been a producer, I rather like the idea of bossing all those men around."

I saw her again when she did her one woman show at The London Palladium in 1975. She made a great entrance, and uttered her famous line from Beyond the Forest, "WHAT A DUMP!"

When someone asked her if that was her own hair, she said "Yes, it's my own hair, my own teeth, and my own TITS!"

Actually, she was wearing a rather obvious wig, but who the hell is going to call Bette Davis a liar! :D
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was great, didn't take herself too seriously, and told some great stories. I have told this before, but it is worth repeating. The first time I saw her was in 1971 at The National Film Theatre. I plucked up the courage to ask her a question, and Joan Bakewell who was the interviewer asked me to stand up. I was quaking in my shoes when I asked her if she had ever wanted to Direct.

She fixed me with a gimlet stare, and then snapped, "NO!" after what seemed like an age, she continued, "I am so passionate about what I do, I can just imagine that I would come in screaming like a banshee yelling, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!" she then went on, "But I would have liked to have been a producer, I rather like the idea of bossing all those men around."

I saw her again when she did her one woman show at The London Palladium in 1975. She made a great entrance, and uttered her famous line from Beyond the Forest, "WHAT A DUMP!"

When someone asked her if that was her own hair, she said "Yes, it's my own hair, my own teeth, and my own TITS!"

Actually, she was wearing a rather obvious wig, but who the hell is going to call Bette Davis a liar! :D

Thanks for that, Walter, and more than worth repeating! How fab to have had direct contact with her, and generate that response (all of which is probably 100% true!). I know it's a cliche but they really don't make 'em like that anymore. Thanks again. :)
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks, I never can remember how to spell her name for some reason. Very embarrassing, since I do consider myself a fan. :o

I've been lucky enough to meet a lot of actors myself through premieres and fan conventions but the only person I've met who I would personally, truly describe as a legend is Jack Nicholson. He was wonderful, too. :)
  • oxygenjjoxygenjj Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Damon ,

Bourne to be brilliant
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    De Niro, Pacino, Manu Bennett and Andy Whitfield.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    river phoenix
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Montgomery Clift.

And I honestly believe that Tom Hardy has got the potential to be the best actor of our generation.
    Forum Member
    Mrs F wrote: »
    Wow Walter, I'm impressed. What fantastic memories.
    So spill the beans....were you in "the business"?

You havent by any chance met Sophia Loren have you? The most beautiful woman in the world, and a very underrated actress I think:)

No, I wasn't in the business, although I was a Film Extra for five years, but I met all of these stars long before that, mostly in the '70's and 80's.

Never met Sophia Loren, but I am so old I still look upon her as a newcomer. :D
  • Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    No, I wasn't in the business, although I was a Film Extra for five years, but I met all of these stars long before that, mostly in the '70's and 80's.

Never met Sophia Loren, but I am so old I still look upon her as a newcomer. :D

ha ha, Walter I'd guess that Sophia is older than you, as she's around 78 or 79, and still looks stunning. It must be all that pasta:D

back to topic.......of the "older" generation James Stewart and Gregory Peck....grew up watching their films

Tom Hanks:D
    Forum Member
    Mrs F wrote: »
    ha ha, Walter I'd guess that Sophia is older than you, as she's around 78 or 79, and still looks stunning. It must be all that pasta:D

back to topic.......of the "older" generation James Stewart and Gregory Peck....grew up watching their films

Tom Hanks:D

Not that much older, Sophia is 79 in September, I was 76 in May. Like Sophia, I am in good shape, and as any regulars here will know, I ran my first London Marathon this year. ;)

When I was young I used to go to the cinema, four or five time a week, sometimes twice in one day. These days I can go a whole year without visiting my local cinema. I am sure that there are some good films being made, but I would rather watch my favourite old films on video or DVD. I know that every generation thinks that the stars and films of their era are the best, but I really do believe that I grew up in the Golden Age of movies.:)