The Celine Dion dance

Wow - that was some dance from Artem and Aliona. I think that is probably my favourite pro dance of the series. :-)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonmoon wrote: »
    Wow - that was some dance from Artem and Aliona. I think that is probably my favourite pro dance of the series. :-)

Couldn't agree more. Even Artem seemed to be emotionally involved in the dance.
  • Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that they were barefoot, as are most pros when they dance the rhumba. Why do the celeb/pro pairs never go barefoot? Most of the female celebs suffer from pretty bad blisters, I'm sure they would love a week without their dance shoes.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    It was beautiful and full of emotion.

I liked how Celine applauded and thanked them. A true meeting of artistry.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caro07 wrote: »
    I noticed that they were barefoot, as are most pros when they dance the rhumba. Why do the celeb/pro pairs never go barefoot? Most of the female celebs suffer from pretty bad blisters, I'm sure they would love a week without their dance shoes.

Aliona was wearing sort of ballet slipper things.

Also, AFAIK, dancers aren't supposed to go barefoot in ballroom dancing, it's a contemporary dance thing.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was utterly mesmerising
  • Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was contemporary dance, rather than rumba.
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I can't bear Celine Dion and her screeching, so I had to FF through it.
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aliona quite often dances in ballet slippers, as she did 'tonight'.

Susanna was rehearsing barefoot during the week on some of the ITT footage (foot-age, hur hur :D ), so you're probably right about them enjoying a break from their dance shoes.
  • tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were on fire!

And Celine, think of her what you will (I'm not a fan of her work) was happy, looked honoured, even, to have the SCD dancers, didn't bring her own special troupe like some other guest acts have done.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go back and forth on Celine Dion (like some of her stuff, don't like most of it), but I actually enjoyed her tonight.

Dancing great, too. The last two weeks they seem to have incorporated bit more ballroom dancing into the pro dances again. Maybe they've staged a coup over Jason Gilkison!
  • cmazzacmazza Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely gorgeous dance.
  • Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmazza wrote: »
    Absolutely gorgeous dance.

Artem at his best, doing what he does best..contemporary.It was lovely:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »

Aliona at her best too. Together they were gorgeous.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »

Agree.

I'm not interested in contemporary at all, so sighed rather.

I'd rather it was about the sort of dancing on the show.

Still, very nice an' all that.
  • aimeeaimee1000aimeeaimee1000 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were absolutely gorgeous Artem at his very best it was full of artistry and emotion.

I shall always remember that dance
  • Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat_12 wrote: »
    Aliona was wearing sort of ballet slipper things.

Also, AFAIK, dancers aren't supposed to go barefoot in ballroom dancing, it's a contemporary dance thing.

Thanks for your and others' replies, now that you say it I do remember seeing them in the past.

I do think though that all these rules and regulations (eg the requirement of formal ballroom shoes or some of the stylised postures) actually stifle the natural beauty of dances in much the same way as dog breed standards have created bulldogs that can barely breathe and Cavalier King Charles spaniels that have malformed skulls which compress their brains.

There was a naturalness to Aliona and Artem's dance that would be nice to see more often.

Edit: not all dances, and not all rules, but I much prefer the AT to the ballroom version and I would like to see the original foxtrot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I thought it was absolutely beautiful and what a connection. No rules broken either ;-)
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonmoon wrote: »

I would have thought they would have chosen someone other than a male in the semi-final.

I can't stand Celine Dion singling in English. I far prefer her in French. Same with Gloria Estefan and Linda Ronstadt singing in English rather than Spanish which I prefer; or indeed Nat King Cole in truly gut wrenching Spanish rather than in English.

Céline Dion - Pour que tu m'aimes encore
    http://youtu.be/AzaTyxMduH4

Don't want to be rude but was Celine looking a bit gaunt? :confused: She didn't look well.
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artem and Aliona always seem to be very in tune with each other when they dance.

That was another powerful and emotional performance and matched with the song.

Celine applauding them at the end as they applauded her was a nice touch.

Here it is in high definition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isaf9N0DIqI
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    I thought it was absolutely beautiful and what a connection. No rules broken either ;-)

It Was Nice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    It was lovely, I really like Aliona. I hope the rumours of her not returning next year aren't true.
  • Gill_BrettGill_Brett Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Another lovely dance from Aliona. I do like Aliona and Artem dancing together and I also enjoyed the Titanium pro-dance last week. :)
  • pinkwaferpinkwafer Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it too. Full of grace and emotion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that Anton and Iveta's dance was perfect and I love 'The Music of the Night'.

I also liked Karen's dance very much during the song from 'Les Miserables', with some help from Kevin.